It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marvel mystery oil
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi could anyone tell me there thoughts on marvel mystery oil benefit uses. The reason I ask I've read it helps with cleaning your injectors and engine in general. I'm from Scotland and never heard of it of late. Does it help your Diesel engine?

Post subject: Re: Marvel mystery oil
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

marvel is, for the most part, the same as seafoam without the drying agent (heet) to assist in removing water

in general seafoam is better for diesel applications than marvel

none of them are a "mystery" their MSDS's are openly available, they're all either naphtha or xylene mixed with kerosene and other solvents or assistance agents such as heet/drying agents, acetone or propanol/octane boosters

if you recognize naphtha and xylene it's because you can usually buy them by the gallon at paint/supply stores - very common solvents used for cleaning/stripping

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
From Wikipedia:

Marvel Mystery Oil was implicated in at least one aircraft accident where an engine suffered catastrophic damage during take-off after Mystery Oil had been used as a fuel additive. Since Lycoming Service Instruction No. 1014M stated that fuel additives were not recommended and would void the warranty, the NTSB listed the probable cause of the accident as "The improper use of [a] fuel additive which resulted in a power loss."

According to the NTSB post aircraft accident investigation published in 2003, a Marvel Mystery Oil sample tested, was composed of 74 percent mineral oil,(Baby Oil), 25 percent stoddard solvent, (Turpentine, Paint Thinner), and 1 percent lard, (cholesterol).

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 64742-52-5 70–80% Synonyms: naphthenes, cycloparaffins or hydrogenated benzenes Use: Baseoil, Drilling fluid, napalm baseoil, flamable mix baseoil
Mineral Spirits 08052-41-3 20–30% Synonyms: mineral spirits, high flash naphtha, petroleum distillate fractions, Use: Paint thinner, degreaser
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 00095-50-1 0–1% Synonyms: Benzene, o-dichloro, Special termite fluid;Termitkil;Chloroden;Dichlorobenzene, ortho Use: solvent, insecticide and ingredient in a varied range of industrial products

baby oil is mineral oil, but i wouldn't suggest using CAS 8052-41-3 as baby oil

chlorinated hydrocarbons are cholesterol related , lard is possibly their origin depending on source just like with biodiesel/biokero but again, wouldnt use CAS 95-50-1 for cooking and greasing pans as in it's solvent form is closer to the orthokill termite solution than a food product

the MSDS are pretty specific, and CAS #'s are a bit more so

i'm not a marvel pusher, but for arguments sake, the NTSB article supposed that up to 1 gallon of marvel had been added to 1 of the 3, 18 gallon fuel tanks (1 tank was pink, 2 tanks were blue). since the correct ratio is 1 to 100, not 1 to 18 - the layman description of the chemicals is a bit deceiving but the keypoint of the NTSB article wasn't the contents of marvel mystery oil but that up to 1 gallon of it had been added to one of the tanks

i'd agree. dont add 1 gallon of marvel to your 18 gallon gas tank especially in an airplane, or 1 qt per 18gal(according to the operator) as it's 4oz per 10gal

100 octane low lead gasoline is blue and the the engine probably isn't designed to be regularly run off of 72:1 or less ratio 2stroke gas - the correct safe ratio is more like 320:1. a normal, 7.5:1 compression engine has no problems running off of 50:1 2stroke fuel, it'll foul the spark plugs eventually - if your engine self destructs with a 320:1 ratio mix it was going to blow up anyway.

that's what i gathered from reading the NTSB report, that something had been used in very incorrect ratio either 1qt per 18gal over an extended period, or 1gal in 18 shortly prior to take off and engine damage had occurred.

that's my take anyway, in laymans chemistry all additives sound bad. lucas = parafanitics , and parafin is wax so, must be bad right lol

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:05 pm 
LOST Addict

I agree

Used correctly, I don't think there's anything harmful to an engine in MMO, and might possibly have some benefits to our diesels.
A small amount of 2-stroke oil and Power Service is probably more beneficial to the high pressure components, due to the recent and on-going changes in Diesel Fuel Formulations. Which vary considerably even between counties in Oregon, And, I assume, in the rest of the US as well.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

You are very knowledgable on this subject fuel quality I believe is inconsistent. Would you recommend adding a quart to engine oil and run for day or two before oil change currently running 5/40 mobile one.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Some people may do it that way, and I've seen people use nearly anything from straight solvent, paint thinner, ATF, and even biodiesel as a flushing/cleaning agent.

I prefer not to drive it at all when adding any agent to the engine to help with thinning / flushing of motor oil.

After driving it enough that the engine and oil are operating temperature, I put in my chosen additive and just run at a fast idle (1k rpm) for 1/4-1/2 hour with no load, then leave the plug open, filter off and oil fill cap off for around an hour before putting the plug and the new filter back on.

I have no proof that it measurably helps, but it does give a pathway for the additive solvents to evaporate and exit the engine while the
hot oil drips out the bottom.

It's probably just one more of these theoretical things that does more psychologically to make me feel better than actually doing anything measurably beneficial for the engine.

I really feel that driving around under load with something in the oil that's not really supposed to be there is significant damage risk for turbo, crank bearings, rockers, and piston rings. These are things that require undiluted proper grade engine oil to survive the load put on them during actual driving, even easy driving.

Others may argue the point, and are free to do so, but to me, the risk of accelerated wear, even severe damage, just isn't worth it.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah it quite a controversial subject, I tend to lean on your train of thought, no load on engine. There is just so many opinions about this. Thankyou for info mate.