It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radiator Fan Amps
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am 
LOST Member

Has anyone noted the amps draw of the electric radiator fan? (No mechanical fan)

My 2002 has gone through more than one relay. I now have (for several years) that stock relay not power the fan but only trigger a "Bosch" relay that connects power direct (fused) from the battery. That fuse doesn't last sometimes and the fuseholder has itself melted.
If I recall correctly, it uses 17 amps when running, with of course a brief higher number for starting.
It is unreliable enough that we hesitate to take it far from home now, lest it fail us particularly when we want air conditioning.
I think I have a 30 amp fuse in it now,which is too high than I should have for the wiring.

I wonder if the fan itself is using too many amps because of age and wear, and am considering getting a new replacement.
Anybody know a good value for what this draw should be?

Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Amps
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm 
LOST Addict

I dont know the specifics for your fan, but most cooling fans pull 20-25 amps at startup then drop to 10-15 amps steady.
It all depends on the size of the fan motor.

Yes, due to age, your fan is pulling more amps than it should.
I dont know the specifics for your fan, but on many fan motors I have been able to disassemble the motor, clean everything inside, inspect the brushes, and if the brushes are still good, reassemble the motor and get more life out of it.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:36 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll do some more research, into a new fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:52 am 
LOST Member

dkcase wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll do some more research, into a new fan.

To somewhat close the loop on this thread -- I ordered a replacement fan, Spectra Premium from Rockauto. Out of the carton, it operates at about 11 amps. The starting amps was about 40 , very briefly.

I think this will solve it. I will install it soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:33 am 
LOST Member

Did the new fan solve the current-draw issue?
If your new fan did in fact solve your problem, that is important information.

Particularly, for me; I'm installing a notably-used taurus puller-fan today. I tested it briefly yesterday using 18-gauge stranded auto-wire w/gator clips. Both speeds worked, but the clips got #@%! Hot after only 5-10 seconds running. I assumed because the 18 is too thin for the amp-draw (true), but you have me wondering if the aged fan itself is failing.
Although it free-spins quite easily, when running it seems a bit noisy. I think I'll take Flash's advice, tear it down, inspect and replace internal parts as necessary (only paid $10 for fan).

Regarding my final install setup:
50-Amp rated Wiring/Relay/Switch/Connectors/Fuses = Yes.

I'll start a new thread addressing my concerns, but getting a confirmed final resolution of your dilemma would be very helpful.

Thanks!

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:05 pm 
LOST Member

Gypsy62 wrote:
Did the new fan solve the current-draw issue? . . .
Thanks!

I just saw this from a couple days ago. I would say the new fan solved it; the fuse has not blown since. The running amps are higher than I think it should be (around 20) but it's ok with the 30amp fuse.

I placed two fuseholders in parallel when I installed it. One has the 30amp fuse, the other has a blown fuse in it to keep dirt out. That is available in case not only does the fuse blow, but the fuseholder is damaged. That has happened.