It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker sizes front and rear
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi, quick question... I'm ordering some speaker foam as I just know the fronts are shot without pulling the panel from the noise they make. Are the rears 6.5" as well?

Regarding the speaker amps...is there a way to tell if you have these without pulling the speaker out due to the trim level or was it just a factory option?

What's the best glue to use with the foam rings?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Speaker sizes front and rear
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:51 am 

I replaced mine a few years back when one of the OEM speaker started to rattle. Best I remember, I bought some good 5.5 in. or 6 in. round Alpine speakers and used them.

Note: If you have the top of the line Infinity Sound System, the front OEM door speakers have the amplifiers attached to the back of them and you will have to remove the amps and use them to power the new speakers... Simply attach the amps to a brace inside the door so they will not rattle or move around (out of the way of the window going down) with some tie wraps and connect them to the new speakers with the correct continuity.

FYI: The Infinity Sound System uses the amplifiers on the back of the speakers due to it does not have any amplifiers in the head unit for the front speakers. The OEM rear door speakers do not have amplifiers mounted to them so you can use any good replacement speakers in the rear doors. Not sure if the rear speakers use the amplifiers on the front speakers or the head unit has amplifiers built in for them??? :roll:

If you do not decide to use this methodology, then you will have to replace the head unit as well as the speakers.

I replaced my front speakers using this procedure on mine 4 or 5 years ago and everything is still working just fine with no rattles or sound quality issues! The rear speakers still seem to be just fine! :wink

Additional info:
if you have the high end Infinity Sound System! The front speakers have amplifiers attached to the backs of them and it is my understanding that the signals are sent from the head unit to this amp and from there it feeds all other speakers, front, back, tweeters, etc... so if one of the amps in the front door goes out all speakers on that amp's side will quit working! :shock:
I learned this information when a local car stereo company was replacing both my front speakers with new high end Pioneer speakers and they explained to me how this OEM system works. I did not want to have to replace the head unit and loose all its functionality just to get two new speakers!

This is a great write up Pap did a few years back! Pictures don't work, but write up is worth reading!
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=73768&p=771247#p771247

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount