It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aluminum driveshaft
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Been seeing kk's and nitros with aluminum driveshafts at the boneyards. Are these able to swap directly? It'd be a nice little weight reduction and reduction in spinning mass at acceleration mod.

Post subject: Re: Aluminum driveshaft
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:46 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm curious too now. If you can grab one for cheap let us know if it works.

05 CRD Ltd new rockers, lifters, valves, arp's, weeks 1,2 Id silicone hoses full 3" exhaust, Carter intank pump, Hayden/GM fan 4”Lift Jba upper fronts, new front lowers, cut cv’s, bilsteins, 790’s, top plate, 2 conduit nuts, Iron Rock adjustable 3 link, custom diff bracket Jba 4” rear springs 16x8 rubi wheels 265/75 Yoko’s, manual tans/w231

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dstnm523 wrote:
Been seeing kk's and nitros with aluminum driveshafts at the boneyards. Are these able to swap directly? It'd be a nice little weight reduction and reduction in spinning mass at acceleration mod.

No not a direct fit and you also can not change the u-joints in them.Once the joints are toast you must replace the whole driveshaft and they are not cheap.

Not to mention if you hit something with the driveshaft it's toast pretty quick compared to a steel driveshaft.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Right, I did notice that the u joints looked as if it'd be really hard to work on. Thats a deal killer right there not being able to replace them. I had thought of the potential damage of the shaft not being able to take a hit though.
Back when I had a p71police crown vic, it came with an aluminum ds and that was a great mod for the cv's that didn't have them.