It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: front end noise after new parts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose this issue! So I completely rebuilt the front end of my 2006 crd. All new bushings in the lower control arms, new upper control arms, new inner/outer tie rods, new lower ball joints, new wheel bearings, new sway bar bushings/links, ome springs with bilstein shocks, new upper strut plates, new cv's, and new axle shaft seals. Get it all back together and I have a consistent *thump thump* noise when driving, increases with speed... Took the jeep in for its alignment, noise is still there. So I do some reading on here and read the intermediate shaft issue. Pull the cv's back out and returned (autozone units) grabbed the originals which are still in good condition, checked the splines on the intermediate and they seem fine. Re assembled and the issue is still there. Should I just buy a new intermediate shaft and napa cv's and try it? Or could it possibly be the axle shaft bearings? BTW this issue was not there before replacing parts, the jeep had a front end shimmy at 60mph and a nice clunk when turning at slow speeds, both of those issues are gone. Also the front driveshaft is not in the vehicle.

2006 CRD, in tank lift pump, FTC converter, CCV reroute, ID parts boost hoses, 545rfe reprogram kit, sonnax line pressure, fumoto drain valve, vibrant performance straight thru resonator with MF straight thru muffler, more to come

Post subject: Re: front end noise after new parts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Were your tires rebalanced or rotated? Is it just a sound or can you feel it in the steering? More to one side?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Forgot to say thanks ahead of time for the responses! I did not have the tires re balanced. I had all 4 off because I replaced the link arms and the shocks/struts in the rear as well. Wheels went back on in the same position I took them off. It seems to be coming from the drivers front. Can feel it in your feet when your driving from driver and passenger side, just seems more prominent on the driver side.

2006 CRD, in tank lift pump, FTC converter, CCV reroute, ID parts boost hoses, 545rfe reprogram kit, sonnax line pressure, fumoto drain valve, vibrant performance straight thru resonator with MF straight thru muffler, more to come

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not noticeable in the steering at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check your brakes(you didn't replace those) and if you bought autozone CV's I suspect you used autozone bearings so that could be the issue also.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Brakes are all new, forgot to list that! Pads and rotors are powerstop, calipers are from napa. Wheel bearings are raysbestos premium, all the other parts are moog problem solver. The only parts that were auto zone were the cv's. I agree checking the bearings is the next step, I ordered 6 new hub bolts, started to round the heads on the originals. I'll post back with the results.