All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ARB or DTT in the rear
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I've had 2.

Neither came from the factory that way.

GM is not dumb enough to put a auto locker like a Detroit in the front diff and expect everyone that may drive it know they can't use 4wd unless in the most extreme loose conditions otherwise you will not be able to turn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:13 am 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
If memory serves, GM's first use of a Torsen unit was in the transfer case. They used Detroit locker in front, with manual locking hubs, clutch pack Posi in the rear, and Torsen in the transfer case.

I know the trailblazer SS has a Torsen center diff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:23 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
I've had 2.

GM is not dumb enough to put a auto locker like a Detroit in the front diff and expect everyone that may drive it know they can't use 4wd unless in the most extreme loose conditions otherwise you will not be able to turn.

Back when you could order it any way you wanted (50's/60's) these nameplates were used when you optioned the Detroit.

:POPCORN:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
tjkj2002 wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
I've had 2.

Both came new from the factory that way.

Neither bought second hand. Both were in the family ranch from new.

Both GMC. Both 3/4 ton 4x4

The 1956 came from the factory with GM spec'd Napco drivetrain

The 1963 came from the factory with GM original drivetrain.

Both came with Detroit Lockers up front.

Both would snap and bounce the front like hell if you forgot to take the manual hubs out before going around corners on pavement.

{Edit} Biggest difference between then and now... If you screwed up like that now, stuff breaks. Usually, expensive stuff.
Back then it just beat the crap out of you till you turned the hubs out.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:13 pm 
LOST Addict

u2slow wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Since you put kilometers, I assume that you're in Canada? How is that lockright on an icy corner in winter? My vote is an OX in the rear, but auto lockers are amazing if the downsides don't make them a poor option. I've had an Aussie locker in the front (old 4 runner), and other than the fact that you could not be in 4wd on pavement, it was amazing in deep snow on steep mountains, and elsewhere too.

Yup - BC, Canada. I'm about 30-40 miles west of Bellingham WA.

IMO, the icy-corner front-locker winter thing is a joke. Learn to operate your equipment. You let off the throttle to get your steerage back... and highways aren't curved enough anyway. I've driven to Fort Nelson and back in January. Routinely take the Coquihalla to the interior in winter months. The few scary moments I've had are from pushing 2wd too far. (overly concerned about part-time tcase :roll: ) I don't do that anymore. 4wd gets used when there's any ice/snow, or its freezing. Could be 60mph on a sunny winter day with ice patches... or gently chugging along at 20mph during a white-out snowstorm.

Wow, thanks for the report! Now it's OX or Detroit locker for the rear in mine. At 200k I think I'll replace and upgrade the gears anyhow, so it just comes down to cost and popping sounds driving me crazy. It would be pretty cool to have the traction of the lunch box locker all of the time vs the selectable.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:18 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
u2slow wrote:
My Dodge has a Lockright (rear) and I drive it daily. The KJ has a stock posi, and its driven daily.

Personally, I would have a really hard time going to an open diff again (i.e. ARB off). I've gotten used to having traction by default... not something I have to turn on for special circumstances. I don't like DD'ing with a spool either.

Since you put kilometers, I assume that you're in Canada? How is that lockright on an icy corner in winter? My vote is an OX in the rear, but auto lockers are amazing if the downsides don't make them a poor option. I've had an Aussie locker in the front (old 4 runner), and other than the fact that you could not be in 4wd on pavement, it was amazing in deep snow on steep mountains, and elsewhere too.

darn thats right, I forgot we had this discussion about the OX locker not that long ago. I think they have one for the 8.25 and D30, but because the D30A was a different cover so it wouldnt work.

Yeah, and the OX have a much better design in my opinion.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:36 am 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
I've had 2.

Both came new from the factory that way.

Neither bought second hand. Both were in the family ranch from new.

Both GMC. Both 3/4 ton 4x4

The 1956 came from the factory with GM spec'd Napco drivetrain

The 1963 came from the factory with GM original drivetrain.

Both came with Detroit Lockers up front.

Both would snap and bounce the front like hell if you forgot to take the manual hubs out before going around corners on pavement.

{Edit} Biggest difference between then and now... If you screwed up like that now, stuff breaks. Usually, expensive stuff.
Back then it just beat the crap out of you till you turned the hubs out.

Makes sense when you have manual locking hubs.
With auto-locking hubs or fully locked hubs, a detroit locker up front would be awful.

My buddy had an old CJ and it came with a select-able locker up front that was vacuum actuated. I've seen several other (non-jeep) 4x4s that also used a vacuum actuated locker in the front diff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:12 am 

flash7210 wrote:
My buddy had an old CJ and it came with a select-able locker up front that was vacuum actuated. I've seen several other (non-jeep) 4x4s that also used a vacuum actuated locker in the front diff.

A lot of the early IFS 4x4's had vacuum actuators on one of the front drive axles to engage four wheel drive. 80ish GM's come to mind like S10's and such. Most later on went to electric actuators like what is on my Dodge 4X4's... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:58 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
flash7210 wrote:

A lot of the early IFS 4x4's had vacuum actuators on one of the front drive axles to engage four wheel drive. 80ish GM's come to mind like S10's and such. Most later on went to electric actuators like what is on my Dodge 4X4's... :wink:

Ford still uses vacuum hubs, at least on the F150/expedition. Not sure on the 250 or 350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk