It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: C8.25 Traction Aids
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

u2slow wrote:

I keep staring at my extra D44a (WJ)

Keep staring,that's just a paper weight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:24 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Keep staring,that's just a paper weight.

Tell ya what... you can buy the alum center off me for a paperweight when I'm done. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
casm wrote:
But I'd much rather have an LSD in the rear in those same circumstances than a fully-open axle. Having driven both in the same weather, there are too many times where full lockup is too much and no lockup is too little.

I guess it's personal preference and driving skill.

I grew up in a area that regularly saw 220"+ snow and mostly had RWD cars,air shocks and 1200lbs of sand in the trunk was my traction aid growing up.

I've got the Truetrac, and I too live in Colorado in the front range at 8000'. I have Goodyear MTR Kevlars. It gets squirrelly and in hindsight I would take TJKJs recommendation for the ARB. I'm putting studded Duratracs on it to hopefully help for winter driving, but the open diff would be my choice.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Dent wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
casm wrote:
But I'd much rather have an LSD in the rear in those same circumstances than a fully-open axle. Having driven both in the same weather, there are too many times where full lockup is too much and no lockup is too little.

I guess it's personal preference and driving skill.

I grew up in a area that regularly saw 220"+ snow and mostly had RWD cars,air shocks and 1200lbs of sand in the trunk was my traction aid growing up.

I've got the Truetrac, and I too live in Colorado in the front range at 8000'. I have Goodyear MTR Kevlars. It gets squirrelly and in hindsight I would take TJKJs recommendation for the ARB. I'm putting studded Duratracs on it to hopefully help for winter driving, but the open diff would be my choice.

You think it's the front and or rear DTT that's making it squirrelly, and what speed? I have one up front, and haven't had that problem, but I haven't spent a lot of time over 25mph in 4wd.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 pm 
LOST Addict

My vote is OX, sorry it's not on your list :5SHOTS:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mountainman wrote:
My vote is OX, sorry it's not on your list :5SHOTS:

The OP doesn't want a open/locked diff,he wants LSD/locked so the OX is out.

While the OX locker is a great idea it's a very low volume company that has been bought/sold a few times over the last few years which makes it sketchy for any type of warranty issue or replacement parts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 pm 

u2slow wrote:
casm wrote:

Doing an axle swap on this vehicle is not feasible. Given how it's going to be used, it simply can't be justified.

What's not feasible exactly? The right $100-250 axle (8.8, D44, etc) would let you run the ECTED you want. That said, really depends on your skills, tools, patience, and what sort of used parts you can dig up locally. What's nice if you can pre-build it, and then just have it off the road for only a day or two to exchange diffs.

Everything you just outlined is what makes it unfeasible. I agree with what you're saying, but downtime (this is a DD) and the space to work on it are the driving factors in making it a no-go. Oh, and weather. We don't have a garage; doing this in the driveway in Winter is just not something I want to deal with.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 pm 
LOST Addict

casm wrote:
u2slow wrote:
casm wrote:

Doing an axle swap on this vehicle is not feasible. Given how it's going to be used, it simply can't be justified.

What's not feasible exactly? The right $100-250 axle (8.8, D44, etc) would let you run the ECTED you want. That said, really depends on your skills, tools, patience, and what sort of used parts you can dig up locally. What's nice if you can pre-build it, and then just have it off the road for only a day or two to exchange diffs.

Everything you just outlined is what makes it unfeasible. I agree with what you're saying, but downtime (this is a DD) and the space to work on it are the driving factors in making it a no-go. Oh, and weather. We don't have a garage; doing this in the driveway in Winter is just not something I want to deal with.

Has anyone even done a rear axle swap and kept the front IFS?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:16 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
You think it's the front and or rear DTT that's making it squirrelly, and what speed? I have one up front, and haven't had that problem, but I haven't spent a lot of time over 25mph in 4wd.

Any rear traction device (except one you lock open) has the potential to kick out sideways. When it happens at speed, in a short-wheelbase rig, in 2wd... especially in the winter, you're going for a ride. BTDT with just a trac-lok. IMO, you want to use 4wd sooner rather than later. A front locker doesn't have the same effect because you're driving both axles at that point.

casm wrote:

Fair enough. I pre-build and overhaul 'spares' as much as a can... specifically because it minimizes downtime for a DD. I do have a shop though... figured you did too, assuming your would-be locker install was DIY.

mass-hole wrote:
Has anyone even done a rear axle swap and kept the front IFS?

I haven't... yet. I'm leaning that way for when this rear UCA lets go. I'd like to use the IRO arm. It may use a truss. The rest is undecided.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 am 

u2slow wrote:
Any rear traction device (except one you lock open) has the potential to kick out sideways. When it happens at speed, in a short-wheelbase rig, in 2wd... especially in the winter, you're going for a ride. BTDT with just a trac-lok. IMO, you want to use 4wd sooner rather than later. A front locker doesn't have the same effect because you're driving both axles at that point.

Agreed. In the use case I'm looking at, though, most of the benefit of an LSD would be in dry weather or on dirt - Winter tends to follow the pattern of, "stick it in 4FT and leave it there" once the weather turns. My experience has been that having traction at the front as well as the rear helps to mitigate some of the effects of a rear LSD on slick surfaces. It's not a 100% cure for it, but it does help.

u2slow wrote:
casm wrote:

Fair enough. I pre-build and overhaul 'spares' as much as a can... specifically because it minimizes downtime for a DD. I do have a shop though... figured you did too, assuming your would-be locker install was DIY.

I hear you, and would absolutely kill for a shop, or at least a workbench. We're planning on starting some house-hunting next year and one of the items on the list is a shop or garage with enough space to convert to shop use yet still get a couple of cars inside.

Doing an LSD / locker install in the driveway isn't out of the question, but it is weather- and time-dependent, and a great way to fill the diff with whatever crud's floating around in the air. Not my first choice. When things reach that point, I'll be seriously evaluating whether or not I take care of it myself or farm it out to a shop. The DIY route is preferred, but I have to be realistic about what can or cannot be accomplished in the driveway.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox