It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: brake light blown bulbs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:18 pm 
LOST Member

I tried the search function but it's not working. I know there is an issue with the clear lenses coming loose inside and causing the bulbs to burn out. happen to me twice before I found out what was causing it. those of you who have had this experience, how did you resolve it? I see some have removed the inner plastic lenses , if you did what was the long term effect?

Post subject: Re: brake light blown bulbs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:56 pm 

foxhunter wrote:
I tried the search function but it's not working. I know there is an issue with the clear lenses coming loose inside and causing the bulbs to burn out. happen to me twice before I found out what was causing it. those of you who have had this experience, how did you resolve it? I see some have removed the inner plastic lenses , if you did what was the long term effect?

I had the same problem on one of the rear lens, using some needle nose pliers, I broke up the clear lens and removed it. That was several years ago, so far no adverse effects and have not blown any more bulbs in that assembly. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:11 pm 
LOST Member

that's what I wanted to know. I did the same thing by using a pair of needle nose pliers and tin snips to cut the plastic into manageable pieces.
thx
bob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Is this the same reason why I have to replace one of my turn signals every 3 months? I thought it might have been the LED turn signals on my ARB causing some kind of issue.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:04 am 

mass-hole wrote:
Is this the same reason why I have to replace one of my turn signals every 3 months? I thought it might have been the LED turn signals on my ARB causing some kind of issue.

Ehhh... That shouldn't have anything to do with it, at least in my experience. I've run all-LED and mixed LED/incandescent setups on multiple vehicles over the last decade or so, and inevitably when something like this happens it's been related to either wiring, grounds, or sockets for a particular bulb. Oh, or wiring for a trailer lighting connector. Spent months figuring that one out on and off on one of my XJs.

Then again, I'm not mega-familiar with the KJ's quirks yet, so there could be something in there that I'm not aware of. That said, I do have all of the external lights except for the indicators (need to figure out how I want to modify the hazard relay for that one before I do them) and headlamps running non-CANBUS LEDs right now and everything is working as expected.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:02 pm 

mass-hole wrote:

Affects rear tail light lens only as far as I know! There is an inner clear plastic lens inside the housing that comes apart for some unknown reason and lays up against the bulb lens causing it to overheat or beats up against it until it breaks... :roll:

Easy to diagnose, remove rear lens housing and shake it, if it rattles, the inner lens has broke loose. Easy to remove, just break it up into small pieces using some needle nose plyers through the bulb socket hole and fish out the pieces... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve