It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hard to find noise -- clinking and clanking
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:10 am 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:
Glad you got the spreader tool sorted out. :D If I do this again, I'll make some changes. One of the bolts started stretching the threads out.

Sounds like you got the preload on the carrier bearings tightened up just right and reduced the backlash at the same time. Good job!!! I'm not sure actually. I need to find out where to get the solid spacers. I'd like to find a 0.100" precision spacer. Then I could make further adjustments that would make it perfect. The spacers installed are 0.128" and 0.123" thick. I think that would ease up some of the preload, and close the 0.006 clearance between the gears. I could add some more shims back in to get it exactly right.

Book says carrier should be (3.9-6.6 in. lbs.) resistance to turning with the correct preload.
Did you measure the ring & gear backlash after all the shim changes/additions? What average did you end up with around the gear? In the end, I still have 0.006" clearance between gears.

What about preload on the pinion bearings, they should have a small amount (15-25 in. lbs.) torque to rotate as well. Just sight resistance to turning by hand. The pinion shaft seems good enough. I'm not going to touch it.
Book says the whole assembly should end up around (15-25 in. lbs.) + (3.9-6.6 in. lbs.) tot.

Used bearings will always be on the low side vs new ones, so if you end up with a total assembly torque to rotate value of a little over 20 in. lbs. you should be good to go. It takes about 25 inch-pounds to get it moving, but then rotates effortlessly. I did squirt some clean transmission fluid on the bearings and it helped some. The initial torque to overcome standing friction bothers me.
I use a 1/4" drive in. lbs. torque wrench to test the rotational torque by adding a 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2" adapters to the pinion nut socket. (driveshaft disconnected)

While in there, I would also paint some of the teeth on the ring gear and check the contact pattern in both directions just because you are staring at it.
I always paint and check'em in both drive and coast just to make sure it is correct and there is not going to be a lot of noise or unnecessary wear. I'm not going to bother with that. If it howls a little, I won't care. If it howls a lot, then I'll care.
Since all your pinion parts were already in place, yours will probably be a perfect pattern. :wink:

:rockon: :POPCORN:

Thanks for the help.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Replaced harmonic balancer.
Noise in front axle or 3rd member - removed loose chain in transfer case.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.
Sheared bolts on TC. Replaced flex plate, TC, bolts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:22 am 
LOST Junkie

Found Morris 4X4 Center online again and ordered another shim kit. This one includes the thicker shims (I call them spacers) that range from 0.109" to 0.148". This kit will help me get the differential set up perfectly.

Going back to work tomorrow (Monday) so I will continue my front end setup next weekend.

BTW, I got a pair of socket drive adapters (1) 1/4 up to 3/8 drive, and (1) 3/8 up to 1/2 drive. Now I'll be able to use the inch-pound torque wrench on both the pinion shaft nut, and the ring gear bolt-head to get accurate readings.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:09 am 
LOST Junkie

Watched a video on the Morris 4x4 Center Blog about preloading the carrier bearings. Their video was about a a differential within a cast iron axle housing. They preloaded the bearings with an additional 0.008" shim. I'm not sure if the same amount is necessary for an Aluminum axle housing.

So, I asked in an email to them what is right for the Aluminum Dana 30. Don't know what their answer will be, but I'm expecting somewhere between 0.012" and 0.016".

I'll post their answer probably tomorrow.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:21 am 

Be careful with that aluminum housing and not overdo it! You know there have been a few reports by owners on this forum in the past of finding a crack in their 30A housing.
Just saying, I would not get to aggressive with the preload knowing their history. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

I've been brainstorming about another approach to spreading the axle housing. I'm going to use a piece of 1-5/8" Unistrut with threaded rods on top and bottom, then a Grade 8 bolt to intercept a machined hole at the center of the gasket area. I'll take pictures this weekend as I assemble it.

This is a bare view of the Dana 30 housing with bearing caps, spacers/shims.

The red items are lengths of 1-5/8" Unistrut with holes drilled straight through. The blue items are threaded rod, nuts, and a couple grade 8 bolts. I see that I'll have to ensure the threaded rod is positioned to be held down, probably midway.

Thanks for the caveat about over doing the stretch. I plan to only stretch it far enough to pick the spacers out.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:46 am 
LOST Junkie

Was supposed to get a thick differential shim (0.125" or so) from a local transmission shop today, but they were closed. I'll get it Monday in exchange for a case of beer. (If I had to buy the thick spacer kit, it would be $90.)

Here is my latest version of the case stretcher. It worked good. The big bolts in the middle of the Unistrut are 1/2" bolts that stick down through the UniStrut to engage the larger diameter hole. (See previous post) BTW, the hole is 14mm diameter.)

And the same case stretcher upside down. I made a lot of mistakes while drilling holes, but if I were to do this again, I would measure more carefully and drill more accurately.

If I were to make it again, I'd choose a longer piece of Unistrut so the parallel threaded rod could be 9" apart. That would allow removal of the ring gear/carrier assembly without dismantling the stretcher.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

Tried to find the thick shims locally at a couple auto repair shops and a transmission shop, but no luck. Finally ordered a set of Dana 20/30 Carrier Shims from Drive Train America on line. I expect to get them by next weekend, July 30.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:01 am 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
Tried to find the thick shims locally at a couple auto repair shops and a transmission shop, but no luck. Finally ordered a set of Dana 20/30 Carrier Shims from Drive Train America on line. I expect to get them by next weekend, July 30.
Dean.

DriveTrain America sent the wrong parts, then Troy tried to convince me they were compatible parts saying, "...as long as the ID is the same they will work...". They sent me Pinion shims instead of Carrier shims. He continued saying, "...you may as well USPS the parts back on your own because DriveTrain America will charge you freight to FedEx the parts back to themselves and the result will be no refund..."

While I accepted that at first, I slowly got pissed. Now I imagine Troy is a back office computer-based sales guy with a pencil neck and baby-smooth hands and face. I can imagine he has never touched a wrench or screwdriver, much less a case spreader, nor soiled his hands with differential lube.

Clearly Troy does not know the difference between a Carrier assembly and a Pinion shaft.

Previous post... ...if I were to construct a Case Spreader according to the FSM, here are rough dimensions
[Edit] ...thinking about this more, the Turnbuckle part (4) should be made out of 1/2" thick wall plumbing pipe. This will house and guide the 1/2" threaded rod better than just a U-shape flat steel.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
CaptainDean wrote:
Dean.

DriveTrain America sent the wrong parts, then Troy tried to convince me they were compatible parts saying, "...as long as the ID is the same they will work...". They sent me Pinion shims instead of Carrier shims. He continued saying, "...you may as well USPS the parts back on your own because DriveTrain America will charge you freight to FedEx the parts back to themselves and the result will be no refund..."

While I accepted that at first, I slowly got pissed. Now I imagine Troy is a back office computer-based sales guy with a pencil neck and baby-smooth hands and face. I can imagine he has never touched a wrench or screwdriver, much less a case spreader, nor soiled his hands with differential lube.

Clearly Troy does not know the difference between a Carrier assembly and a Pinion shaft.

Previous post... ...if I were to construct a Case Spreader according to the FSM, here are rough dimensions
[Edit] ...thinking about this more, the Turnbuckle part (4) should be made out of 1/2" thick wall plumbing pipe. This will house and guide the 1/2" threaded rod better than just a U-shape flat steel.

Dean.

If you paid with paypal or a CC, you could do a charge back. Any drama & that is what I do.
Need to find another supplier ready.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:28 pm 

Were the shims from Randy's wrong also? I read back through part of the thread and could not tell.
or
Were they the ones that were too thin?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

The shims from Randy's (actually an link to Morris 4x4) are correct. However the shim kit is all thin shims ranging from 0.012" down to 0.003"). All together, they do not add up to a thick enough group to fix my issue.

So, I am changing gears. I'm going to remove the Pinion gear and reset the depth. I think the Pinion shims have been hammered down a few thousandths by the constant pounding it gets from the Diesel engine at idle in 4WD.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:20 am 

Hope that does not mess up your contact pattern on the ring gear.
The correct contact pattern, heal & toe, is very important for gear longevity and low noise. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for the consideration WWDiesel. I've been watching plenty of YouTube University videos of setting up differentials. I've committed myself to doing it right.

Regarding DriveTrain America, they have an error in their parts identification database. It calls out the SK20 shim pack for the Carrier Shim Kit, and the picture shows thick shims. However, the pack is not right; it's a Pinion shim kit. Neither the Supervisor nor the Internet Sales guy will admit nor accept that the database is wrong.

In the end, their return policy is not very good since they don't pay for return shipping. I have chosen to keep the $12 shim kit and eat the $12.50 original freight cost, without trying to return the parts. I'd have to eat 2X shipping and only get back the original $12 purchase price.

Maybe I can stabilize a wobbly table with the 0.1xxx" set of shims.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:05 am 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
Found an ECM Repair company called ModuleExperts.com and took a chance on letting them repair my ECM.

Had a bad feeling going in that ModuleExperts.com would be a bad experience. Turned out to be true.

Their website reads, "...Pay us [up front] with CC and send in your Engine Control Module for repair. Flat rate $250..."

I wasn't about to pay in advance, but, I sent in the module first and awaited their response. They said "...your ECM is beyond repair. We can sell you an re-manufactured unit for an additional $960.

I told them to return my ECM without making any repairs. They responded in all caps (yelling) "JUST TOLD YOU IT IS NOT REPAIRABLE, SO HOW EXACTLY ARE WE TO "NOT MAKE ANY REPAIRS?" DID YOU NOT READ ANYTHING THAT WAS JUST EXPLAINED TO YOU?"

So I responded again, "Please send my ECM back to me."

They responded "WHY".

I said, "I don't want ModuleExperts.com to have a free module. I'll have someone else repair it. I understand it will cost me $25 return shipping."

Nothing in response.

Meanwhile, I found another ECM company that offers the same ECM for $350 outright.
https://ecmrebuilders.com/product-categ ... jeep-2005/

So I purchased an ECM supposedly programmed specifically for my VIN. See what happens in the next few days or week.

Dean.

"I'm not dead yet."

Got a [rude] notice from my bank, ModuleExperts.com contested my action to stop payment on their charges. My bank reversed the "credit" and paid out $263.99 for a repair that I did not get. So here is my advise, "...avoid ModuleExperts.com". You'll save yourself heartache, money and time.

Dean.

BTW, My Liberty is still up on blocks with the front differential and both front brakes hanging out. I've been swamped by way too much to do. Hopefully this weekend I will get back under the beast. I've decided to make an adjustment to the Pinion gear by adding 0.007" to the existing shim. That should tighten up the 0.010 slop between the pinion and ring gears.

Hope to have some happy news later this weekend.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:24 am 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
CaptainDean wrote:
Found an ECM Repair company called ModuleExperts.com and took a chance on letting them repair my ECM.

Had a bad feeling going in that ModuleExperts.com would be a bad experience. Turned out to be true.

Their website reads, "...Pay us [up front] with CC and send in your Engine Control Module for repair. Flat rate $250..."

I wasn't about to pay in advance, but, I sent in the module first and awaited their response. They said "...your ECM is beyond repair. We can sell you an re-manufactured unit for an additional $960.

I told them to return my ECM without making any repairs. They responded in all caps (yelling) "JUST TOLD YOU IT IS NOT REPAIRABLE, SO HOW EXACTLY ARE WE TO "NOT MAKE ANY REPAIRS?" DID YOU NOT READ ANYTHING THAT WAS JUST EXPLAINED TO YOU?"

So I responded again, "Please send my ECM back to me."

They responded "WHY".

I said, "I don't want ModuleExperts.com to have a free module. I'll have someone else repair it. I understand it will cost me $25 return shipping."

Nothing in response.

Meanwhile, I found another ECM company that offers the same ECM for $350 outright.
https://ecmrebuilders.com/product-categ ... jeep-2005/

So I purchased an ECM supposedly programmed specifically for my VIN. See what happens in the next few days or week.

Dean.

"I'm not dead yet."

Got a [rude] notice from my bank, ModuleExperts.com contested my action to stop payment on their charges. My bank reversed the "credit" and paid out $263.99 for a repair that I did not get. So here is my advise, "...avoid ModuleExperts.com". You'll save yourself heartache, money and time.

Dean.

BTW, My Liberty is still up on blocks with the front differential and both front brakes hanging out. I've been swamped by way too much to do. Hopefully this weekend I will get back under the beast. I've decided to make an adjustment to the Pinion gear by adding 0.007" to the existing shim. That should tighten up the 0.010 slop between the pinion and ring gears.

Hope to have some happy news later this weekend.

Dean.

Wow !!!
In Australia this would not happen.
On a number of occasions I have charged back on my Visa card.
Every time I have got a full refund. In one case, I still have the item.
It was not as described.
The seller has never provided free post details for me to return it.
A couple of times I have done similar with Paypal. Every time I have got a full refund.
I guess with regard to Visa, my bank would go into battle for me as they would not wish to loose my accounts.
Sorry to hear you are out of pocket Dean.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:41 am 
LOST Junkie

layback40 wrote:
Wow !!!
In Australia this would not happen.
On a number of occasions I have charged back on my Visa card.
Every time I have got a full refund. In one case, I still have the item.
It was not as described.
The seller has never provided free post details for me to return it.
A couple of times I have done similar with Paypal. Every time I have got a full refund.
I guess with regard to Visa, my bank would go into battle for me as they would not wish to loose my accounts.
Sorry to hear you are out of pocket Dean.

Thanks for the concern layback40. This is one problem about being stuck on an island in the middle of the Pacific. The jackass in Florida that runs ModuleExperts.com certainly knows that. I don't know anyone in Florida that would throw a rock through his window, and it's not enough money to be worthwhile pursuing other ways.

I used to listen to a radio show of some guy spouting "smart stuff". For this situation, he would say, "...just lick your wounds and get on with life..." The worst part is that his advise is probably right for this situation.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:48 am 
LOST Junkie

On a happier note, I did remove my pinion gear and put a 0.0055" shim under the gear head. That was the thinnest one in the shim kit. This weekend I'll reinstall it and see how the gear lash feels. As I recall, it was 0.008" play on the ring gear, I'm hoping for a pretty close fit. I'm also hoping that it is not too tight.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had great intentions of finishing this front differential this weekend, but the ugly face of fate :evil: looked dimly upon me.

First I heated the driveshaft-end pinion bearing (tail bearing) to 200°F in a toaster oven and chilled the pinion gear in the freezer for about an hour. Got into position with the cold gear in the pumpkin and the warm bearing in my gloved hand. Then the phone rang :dizzy: with work calling about county freshwater pressure down to zero. I attempted to continue assembling but the bearing had cooled too much. :banghead:

After lunch I repeated the process except heating the bearing to 400°F and freezing the gear again. Got into position as before and the phone rang again. :furious: This time the guard was reporting a vehicle break-in. I got the bearing mostly in position but in my disturbed haste I forgot to include the crushable sleeve. :furious: Aaarrrggg !!

So I went to my shop and repaired a table lamp. :5SHOTS: I'll try again next weekend.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:16 am 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
I had great intentions of finishing this front differential this weekend, but the ugly face of fate :evil: looked dimly upon me.

First I heated the driveshaft-end pinion bearing (tail bearing) to 200°F in a toaster oven and chilled the pinion gear in the freezer for about an hour. Got into position with the cold gear in the pumpkin and the warm bearing in my gloved hand. Then the phone rang :dizzy: with work calling about county freshwater pressure down to zero. I attempted to continue assembling but the bearing had cooled too much. :banghead:

After lunch I repeated the process except heating the bearing to 400°F and freezing the gear again. Got into position as before and the phone rang again. :furious: This time the guard was reporting a vehicle break-in. I got the bearing mostly in position but in my disturbed haste I forgot to include the crushable sleeve. :furious: Aaarrrggg !!

So I went to my shop and repaired a table lamp. :5SHOTS: I'll try again next weekend.

Dean.

Ok, got my second wind and took the mess apart. Heated the bearing and put the pinion gear & crush sleeve together correctly. Slid the hot bearing on. I feel better now. The afternoon is ending now so it's time to stop. Next chore is to put in the pinion seal, driveshaft yoke and pinion nut.

No phone calls this time. :BANANA:

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:54 am 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
CaptainDean wrote:

Dean.

Ok, got my second wind and took the mess apart. Heated the bearing and put the pinion gear & crush sleeve together correctly. Slid the hot bearing on. I feel better now. The afternoon is ending now so it's time to stop. Next chore is to put in the pinion seal, driveshaft yoke and pinion nut.

No phone calls this time. :BANANA:

Dean.

You are old enough to not beholden to the phone Dean !!
If they need to contact you & its an emergency, they can send the police looking for you !!
I remember many years ago if some one was needed then the standard practice was to send a taxi to collect them !!
Leave your phone off or on silent when working on your car on the weekend !!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 55  Next