It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hard to find noise -- clinking and clanking
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:07 am 
LOST Junkie

Yes. Smoke is gone. Had a little smoke from under the hood, but I'm sure that was oil and grease burning off.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Replaced harmonic balancer.
Noise in front axle or 3rd member - removed loose chain in transfer case.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.
Sheared bolts on TC. Replaced flex plate, TC, bolts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:53 am 
LOST Junkie

Not quite out of the woods yet but I did get 20 miles of driving. Today the engine died at idle twice about 3 miles apart. Got into a parking lot and examined it. The fuel filter did not have any water, nor fuel to drain.

Took the filter off and it was 2/3 full. The priming pump works fine and draws fuel from the tank. It got worse until it would only drive 500 feet.

Starting to get late so I had the Jeep towed home. I'll start by ordering a new filter tonight, and maybe the Sasquatch in-tank pump as well.
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... 5143160aa/

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:18 pm 

CaptainDean wrote:
I'll start by ordering a new filter tonight, and maybe the Sasquatch in-tank pump as well.
Dean.

Install the intank pump and forget air in fuel issues forever!
You and your Jeep will be very glad you did. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

I would be cutting open the old filter element & inspecting. When ever I have had this sort of problem it has been bugs in the fuel. It will be seen as black goo in the filter. Some times looks like fine black rubbery crumb. If it is bugs in the fuel, it will only get worse in time. A pump in the tank will not cure it. If you can only drive the car 500 m before it stalls, you need to fix the actual problem, not just mask it with an in tank pump. If you suspect air is getting in, you can disconnect the fuel return line & run it into a bottle & see if there is air in the returning fuel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:14 am 
LOST Junkie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
One of the very bestest things you can do for your CRD is to drop in a lift pump in place of the existing sending unit.
There are many ways to do it, the fastest and easiest in-tank solution is from Sasquatch Parts.
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/in-tank-lift-pump-for-jeep-liberty-crd-5143160aa/
The more expensive but much more time saving is the plug and play wiring loom.
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/plug-and-play-in-tank-lift-pump-wiring-harness-for-jeep-liberty-crd/
For mine, I modified my oem loom, and pulled a nearly new pump unit from a wrecked 1 ton at a local yard, as the Sasquatch loom option was not available yet.

GordnadoCRD,

**Where is the correct place to pick up power for the Sasquatch pump without the harness? (The harness does not look very long so it cannot pickup power too far away.)

**Does the Sasquatch pump have it's own pressure control? (I noticed an aftermarket Dodge Ram 5.9 replacement pump that requires the user to install the existing pressure unit from the old pump.)

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:40 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
The pump Sasquatch uses I believe has the same specs as mine, and it puts out 11psig here at basically sea level. I don't know if they have an internal bypass or not, but they are pressure-limited somehow. No worry though. The CP3 ignores everything under 44psig, when the Cascade Overflow Valve moves into stage 2, internal lubrication. I think the factory Mopar diesel pumps are rated 8-12 psi. The only important thing if you use a different type, is make sure it's a draw-through design, so if it quits, the CP3 can still pull fuel through it. The factory design like these comply with that.

As far as power, the CRD Libby's are equipped with both fuse and relay for the in-tank pump. The connector is under the driver side rear seat, under the carpet and everything else under that, just above the metal floor. Remove that seat, the plastic side liner from the foot rail to the shoulder belt, so you can lift everything and get to the wire loom connector where it goes through the floor support rib, and out through the body grommet to the pump/sending unit. The factory power lead ends at that connector. The only 2 wires you need to add to the through-body loom and grommet are power and ground, but you might have to switch the existing sending unit float arm with the new one. (I did, but used the Dodge Cummins pump. Sasquatch may already have the right one on.)

There is a post in here somewhere that is step by step with tools needed, wiring connectors needed, pictures and everything. I'm pretty sure if I started looking for it now, WWDiesel will have it posted before I find it. :?

The wire connectors are pretty tiny, but are standard Mopar design. I snipped some wires with connectors from the wrecked Dodge to re-purpose, and used silicone and heat-shrink wrap to seal the tank end of the loom.

One of my cheats for adding wires to existing looms, is to make a tiny version of an underground wire pulling harness.. For this, I used a 1/16" welding rod and removed all the flux from it, then rounded one end very smoothly. (drill and orbital sander) At the other end I use good electrical tape (super 33 or equivalent) put a couple secure wraps around the clean welding rod (square end), then butt the wire up against the end of the rod, and wrap the tape diagonally down the wire a couple of times, a couple more straight around, then diagonally back up. That way when you pull the metal rod through the loom, the drag of the wire will actually tighten the tape's grip. It also helps to use some liquid soap around the whole thing so it slips through easier. You will need to be very careful, as the ABS cables run through it as well, which is why Sasquatch offers separate 2005 and 2006 loom versions.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=267112#p267112

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Last edited by GordnadoCRD on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:05 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Found it :BANANA:

http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/

Be sure to check the additional helpful thread links. Some are broken but most still work and are very helpful in preparing.

Also, you might buy a cheap 11MM combination wrench to keep on hand just in the unlikely case that the pump quits, fuse or relay fails, or whatever, and you need to prime the system again. (I haven't had to, even once since installing the N-tank pump)

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:06 am 

Another old but good thread to peruse through on intank fuel pump install:> viewtopic.php?p=264760#p264760

And, if you have ANY gremlins in your fuel or fuel tank, while you got the tank dropped to install the intank fuel pump, it is a great time to thoroughly drain and clean out the tank. :idea:

:mrgreen:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:12 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for the link to this old (2008) topic of installing the lift pump in the tank. I stole one link that looks like a good reference. I'll put it here so I can find it easily.
http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:57 am 
LOST Member

CaptainDean wrote:
Not quite out of the woods yet but I did get 20 miles of driving. Today the engine died at idle twice about 3 miles apart. Got into a parking lot and examined it. The fuel filter did not have any water, nor fuel to drain.

Took the filter off and it was 2/3 full. The priming pump works fine and draws fuel from the tank. It got worse until it would only drive 500 feet.

Starting to get late so I had the Jeep towed home. I'll start by ordering a new filter tonight, and maybe the Sasquatch in-tank pump as well.

Dean.
Huh, I had almost the exact same symptoms on Friday night, coming home from Lowe's. Acted like it wasn't getting fuel then stalled at a stop light. I screwed around with it for a half hour and when I next tried to start it, it ran like a champion.

Where did you last fill up your tank? I'm trying to remember, but I think I last filled at Costco. Maybe there's bad fuel around and we both got into it! I cut open the fuel filter and it was full of black crumblies. So it seems to me that the diesel was growing algae at some point. I'll have to see if I have a spare filter around here. I think Napa in town usually has them in stock. I used the one I had on the shelf and it had behaved well so far. Going to put a spare in the Jeep though, until I run through enough to at least dilute the contaminated fuel.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 am 
LOST Junkie

JieselDeep,

I doubt that our experiences are related, the last time I bought fuel was late November 2017. I recall complaining to the owner of the Shell station at Lako. This weekend I will cut open the filter and see what get revealed. I'll also suck the remainder of fuel out of the tank.

Filters are available at NAPA for $44 and on line via Amazon for $11.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

JieselDeep wrote:
CaptainDean wrote:

Dean.
Huh, I had almost the exact same symptoms on Friday night, coming home from Lowe's. Acted like it wasn't getting fuel then stalled at a stop light. I screwed around with it for a half hour and when I next tried to start it, it ran like a champion.

Where did you last fill up your tank? I'm trying to remember, but I think I last filled at Costco. Maybe there's bad fuel around and we both got into it! I cut open the fuel filter and it was full of black crumblies. So it seems to me that the diesel was growing algae at some point. I'll have to see if I have a spare filter around here. I think Napa in town usually has them in stock. I used the one I had on the shelf and it had behaved well so far. Going to put a spare in the Jeep though, until I run through enough to at least dilute the contaminated fuel.

You need to dose you tank with the Seafoam product. If you talk with people who have these problems a lot ~ marine diesel operators, they swear by it. Dont bother with any other product for algae.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:04 am 
LOST Member

Thanks Dean!

In other news, I bought another Liberty CRD, there was a 2006 sport on Oahu with 43,017 miles listed for $8,000. I flew over to have a look and ended up buying it.

Long story short, no perceptible turbo play, ran like a top and clean as a whistle, inside and out. The only things i could pick on to lower the price were typical LBJ issues and the fact that they had no documentation of when, or even if the timing belt had ever been changed. It's coming over via young brothers as soon as they can get it arranged. I'll swap my lift across and a laundry list of other things I've recently replaced, and put the old one up for sale.

He said he had interested calls from Washington State, to as far away as Georgia. Makes me wonder if Geordie was aware of it and inquiring. Made him very reluctant to drop the price much.

Also, would you send me a link to where you found the $11 fuel filters? I've never seen them that cheap online.

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 am 
LOST Junkie

JieselDeep,

Congratulations. Sounds like a good vehicle. As you know I have extra 2006 parts from the Paauilo parts Jeep.

Here is a link to the $11 filter. It is available on Amazon and a Prime item: "Premium Guard Diesel Fuel Filter DF5782"
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

JieselDeep wrote:
Thanks Dean!

In other news, I bought another Liberty CRD, there was a 2006 sport on Oahu with 43,017 miles listed for $8,000. I flew over to have a look and ended up buying it.

Congratulations on your purchase.
It must be the time of the year. I have also purchased a second KJ CRD. Its a 2006 with 100,000miles on the clock.
The reason for the purchase was that it was cheaper than buying a second hand engine.
My other CRD has engine failure on #4, probably dropped valve & broken liner. It also has a 2" square hole in the skirt of the block where a piece of piston jammed against a bigend bolt. I have the piece of casting & the piece of piston. I may now end up slowly following Dean's path as I have been advised that the block can be easily repaired.
The new jeep is stock standard & an auto (my other is a 6 spd manual & has all the bells & whistles).
The auto in the new one appears to have issues though as there is a bit of slippage in some gears. The fluid is a bit dirty ~ not bright red so I will change it along with the filter & see if there is any improvement. When you have the over drive off there is far less slippage & when you get over about 45mph the slip is not there.
With my 2 XJ's & these 2, the place is starting to look like a used car yard, lucky I have plenty of room.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

JieselDeep wrote:

Cut open my old fuel filter today and did not find any anomalies. However, it was interesting seeing how the filter is put together and seeing how much space in the bottom there is for water -- not much. Maybe 3 Tablespoons of room for water before it begins getting sucked up the draw tube.

The filter is comprised of 12' 4" X 8" (3.75 m x 20 cm) of somekinda papery stuff and folded in half. I'll edit some pictures in later -- left my cell phone at work so I can't take pictures until I get it back.

[Edit] Here is the deconstructed pump...
I forgot to include the draw tube that fits in the center of the filter material.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

Last edited by CaptainDean on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:03 am 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
Cut open my old fuel filter today and did not find any anomalies. However, it was interesting seeing how the filter is put together and seeing how much space in the bottom there is for water -- not much. Maybe 3 Tablespoons of room for water before it begins getting sucked up the draw tube.

The filter is comprised of 12' 4" X 8" (3.75 m x 20 cm) of somekinda papery stuff and folded in half. I'll edit some pictures in later -- left my cell phone at work so I can't take pictures until I get it back.

Dean.

Good to hear you don't have black bugs.
A trick you may wish to try would be to put some pressure on the fuel line for a hr or so. Then have a look & see if any of the connections look wet. Another is to put silicone over the joins & then go for a drive. The vaccume of the fuel system should pull the silicone into any leaks & seal them. I have done this on my XJ diesel jeep with success.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:24 am 
LOST Junkie

layback40 wrote:
Another is to put silicone over the joins & then go for a drive. The vacuum of the fuel system should pull the silicone into any leaks & seal them. I have done this on my XJ diesel jeep with success.

That sounds like and excellent idea. I hope to do that this weekend.

I'll still order the in-tank pump, but this is a good interim band aid.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:18 pm 

CaptainDean wrote:
Dean.

The very concerns, as you stated, that I installed the Donaldson primary filter with a large clear bowl for visual water detection along with the WIF sensor.
The clear bowl has a large volume, about a 1/4 cup, for water trapment divorced from the primary fuel filter in a separate chamber.
The Donaldson P550588 Filter fits the OEM stock filter head. Only had to change the WIF sensor to the Racor RK30964 sensor to make it work.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:

I'll still order the in-tank pump, but this is a good interim band aid.

Dean.

Its been a band aid solution for 150,000 miles on my XJ. I was going to put a Facet in line fuel pump in near the tank but never got around to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 55  Next