It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55
 Post subject: Re: Hard to find noise -- clinking and clanking
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:51 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks layback40,

It's too bad the Field Service Manual offers no specific help regarding installing the hydraulic lash adjusters. It just says ...

Now that I understand what bleeding the lash adjusters is, I now understand the importance. When I was rebuilding my engine I attempted to understand how they worked and what they needed. The FSM mentions using the original lash adjusters but does not address using new ones. We have to use whatever knowledge we can acquire.

My engine has a noise on acceleration and cruise but not at idle or deceleration. I'm preparing to replace the exhaust manifold gasket sometime with hopes that it will eliminate the noise. I heard another engine (Chevy v8) with a noisy lifter; it sounds more tinny than my noise.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Replaced harmonic balancer.
Noise in front axle or 3rd member - removed loose chain in transfer case.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.
Sheared bolts on TC. Replaced flex plate, TC, bolts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
Thanks layback40,

It's too bad the Field Service Manual offers no specific help regarding installing the hydraulic lash adjusters. It just says ...

Now that I understand what bleeding the lash adjusters is, I now understand the importance. When I was rebuilding my engine I attempted to understand how they worked and what they needed. The FSM mentions using the original lash adjusters but does not address using new ones. We have to use whatever knowledge we can acquire.

My engine has a noise on acceleration and cruise but not at idle or deceleration. I'm preparing to replace the exhaust manifold gasket sometime with hopes that it will eliminate the noise. I heard another engine (Chevy v8) with a noisy lifter; it sounds more tinny than my noise.

Dean.

The clack-clack noise at idle in a GM from the 1950's in Australia (Holden) is normally wristpin (gudgeon) noise. Occurred at idle.
My old Mercedes (300D) had solid lifters. Would get a bit noisy & they needed adjusting every year at the start of winter or the engine would not start.
Given the work you have done, its unlikely you have a wrist pin issue. Maybe you have one bad lifter?
I am sure in time you will work it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

layback40,

It's odd the idiosyncrasies these various vehicles have. Your old Mercedes sounds like a cranky old spinster feeling neglected after a cold winter.

I'm on the fence with my Liberty, not certain whether it's a bad lifter or a bad exhaust gasket. I do know that I had some issues when I installed the exhaust manifold. I took it off and back on without changing the gasket after it was initially installed. It's far less work to change the exhaust manifold gasket than to change lifters, so that's where I'm going first.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:32 am 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
layback40,

It's odd the idiosyncrasies these various vehicles have. Your old Mercedes sounds like a cranky old spinster feeling neglected after a cold winter.

I'm on the fence with my Liberty, not certain whether it's a bad lifter or a bad exhaust gasket. I do know that I had some issues when I installed the exhaust manifold. I took it off and back on without changing the gasket after it was initially installed. It's far less work to change the exhaust manifold gasket than to change lifters, so that's where I'm going first.

Dean.

The iron head Mercedes are known to loose the gap on the exhaust valves. The gap is very small anyway. When it cools down they just wont start as the exhaust valve are left slightly open. Easy adjustment & they start easy.

Back before everyone got excited about asbestos, there was a gasket material called Colingerite (wrong spelling), It was asbestos with stainless wire through it. Was used a lot for high pressure steam flanges. Its great for exhaust gaskets on turbo engines as it is flexible & can take the temperature as well. It was banned years ago. I have a few sheets tucked away for a rainy day.
There is a Hylomar exhaust paste that is about as good as you can get. it is good if you have a bit of erosion around the ports.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:14 am 
LOST Junkie

Mercedes has a good reputation for engineering all the small problems out of their cars, I'm surprised they didn't cure the solid lifter issue for a long time. Of course the winters in Germany were very cold so the parts may have shrunk slightly smaller overnight. I suppose part of Mercedes' reputation was keeping the mechanics happy.

I remember those asbestos insulating blankets, and I remember when asbestos was outlawed. I was in high school. Google says is was no longer used after 1978 but I'm sure it was loosing ground before that. Late 60s? I was 15 in 1968.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
Mercedes has a good reputation for engineering all the small problems out of their cars, I'm surprised they didn't cure the solid lifter issue for a long time. Of course the winters in Germany were very cold so the parts may have shrunk slightly smaller overnight. I suppose part of Mercedes' reputation was keeping the mechanics happy.

I remember those asbestos insulating blankets, and I remember when asbestos was outlawed. I was in high school. Google says is was no longer used after 1978 but I'm sure it was loosing ground before that. Late 60s? I was 15 in 1968.

Dean.

The OM617 was close to bullet proof. Good for 3 million Km without the head off. After that diesel engine MB started using alloy heads & they had hydraulic lifters, OM601 & others. That was about 1985. I think their petrol engines had hydraulic lifters earlier.

Over here asbestos was still being used in industrial applications in the late 80's. That is when I got my hands on the gasket sheet. IIRC, it was being thrown out. About that time 'muffler putty' was no longer around. The Chinese are still using it for exhaust gaskets. There was a recall in Aus for Great Wall pickups a few years ago because they had asbestos exhaust manifold gaskets.

I have a good friend who is an investigator with the EPA over here. They have a rock out of an asbestos mine (blue asbestos) as a paper weight. When visitors to their office see it, they are always picking it up for a look. When they ask what it is & are told, they put it down quick. Its covered in clear coat & harmless but people still think its dangerous to touch.

You have about 3 years on me! I am 68 next month.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:05 am 
LOST Junkie

I've never held an asbestos rock, nor even seen one other than TV. I suspect they are lightweight for their size since they get made into textile.

Glad to hear I'm older than someone; I'm usually the younger and less experienced person in the crowd. Regardless, we're all in the same genre and a couple years doesn't mean much at our age.

I have brought a bit of experience with me, but after working on this Liberty I've learned quite a lot more. The forum is a really good medium, especially with pictures.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:25 am 
LOST Junkie

CaptainDean wrote:
I've never held an asbestos rock, nor even seen one other than TV. I suspect they are lightweight for their size since they get made into textile.

Glad to hear I'm older than someone; I'm usually the younger and less experienced person in the crowd. Regardless, we're all in the same genre and a couple years doesn't mean much at our age.

I have brought a bit of experience with me, but after working on this Liberty I've learned quite a lot more. The forum is a really good medium, especially with pictures.

Dean.

If you are on Face Book, I can get a friend to send you a couple of pics of asbestos. I am not on FB but I have a good friend who is. I dont do photo hosting, that is why I dont show photos on here. It occurs between layers, sort of sedimentary rock. Before its ground up, its quite hard.
There was a large mine at Wittenoom in Western Australia. The tailings pile is interesting to see. Its now mainly locked up. They are about to shut the local town down & lock it away as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks but no thanks layback40,

I don't need any chunks of Asbestos, it seems comparable to Kryptonite for Superman. I did, however watch a YouTube University video about the Wittenoom Asbestos mine and biggest health catastrophe in Australia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMAQXFkrUZ0

Too bad for all those people and families working that dry and dusty valley, and the lack of political power of the health department to shut them down.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55