It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: I just noticed that TPMS modules are no longer available....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:11 am
Posts: 121
Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
... For my 2006 CRD

As part of a parts search mentioned in another thread regarding cruise control 'replacement' in a CRD - I plugged in some search info myself for some parts I had questions about... I was just curious about what stuff I'd need and I.D.'ing some specific TPMS parts.

It seems that both front control modules and the one rear control module that the TPMS tire valve stems talk to are no longer available from the manufacturer.

I understand that my 2006 CRD went out of production 12 years ago, and they don't carry the parts forever, but since this is 'Federally Mandated Safety Equipment', and as required by law can NOT be removed.... What are we expected to do if/when a module goes bad, throws a cel, can't be replaced, and the vehicle wont pass inspection?

Just Sunday afternoon musing, but I figure SOMEbody is going to run into the issue sooner or later, and I'd like to get a game plan ready now rather than 3 days before a registration inspection.

Thoughts?

_________________
'06 Liberty Limited CRD.
129,920 miles.
- Timing belt done.
- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just noticed that TPMS modules are no longer available
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:40 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 13119
Location: Colorado Springs
By law they only have to supply parts,that mean any part,for a maximum of 10 years after production ends.

2007 was the last year of production for the KJ so 2017 was the last year federally mandated to make and supply parts for any KJ.

What you are referring to as a "mandatory" safety item(IE TPMS) was not actually federally mandatory till model year 2008.Sorry to say your SOL on getting a legal support if your TPMS modules fail with no OEM support,I'm sure the aftermarket will have something but regardless TPMS before model year 2008 was not federally mandatory so not a safety issue at all and should not fail any safety inspection.

Now if you have a 2008 KK that is a different story.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just noticed that TPMS modules are no longer available
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:11 am
Posts: 121
Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
tjkj2002 wrote:
By law they only have to supply parts,that mean any part,for a maximum of 10 years after production ends.

2007 was the last year of production for the KJ so 2017 was the last year federally mandated to make and supply parts for any KJ.

What you are referring to as a "mandatory" safety item(IE TPMS) was not actually federally mandatory till model year 2008.Sorry to say your SOL on getting a legal support if your TPMS modules fail with no OEM support,I'm sure the aftermarket will have something but regardless TPMS before model year 2008 was not federally mandatory so not a safety issue at all and should not fail any safety inspection.

Now if you have a 2008 KK that is a different story.

Thanks for your response, as always - considering your background -> I appreciate your input.

I'm not arguing what I'm about to say, just stating it, I don't claim to 'know' anything:
*I thought that safety equipment installed was required to remain on the vehicle and in working order, not to be removed or incapacitated*.
Your above response gives me comfort that I wont have to chase parts that may no longer exist.

_________________
'06 Liberty Limited CRD.
129,920 miles.
- Timing belt done.
- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just noticed that TPMS modules are no longer available
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:23 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 13119
Location: Colorado Springs
crasher wrote:
I'm not arguing what I'm about to say, just stating it, I don't claim to 'know' anything:
*I thought that safety equipment installed was required to remain on the vehicle and in working order, not to be removed or incapacitated*.
Your above response gives me comfort that I wont have to chase parts that may no longer exist.

Well since something like TPMS was a "option" on most vehicle till 2007 it's not considered a "federally mandated safety item" and if nobody makes the parts(OE or remaned aftermarket) they can not ding you for it.

I believe seatbelts and airbags are the only 2 items that vehicle manufacturers must keep making past the 10 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just noticed that TPMS modules are no longer available
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Posts: 121
If the dealer can't supply you with the part, I'd insist they de-program it from the vehicle - at their expense.

_________________
Hers: 2005 KJ, V6/6spd/NP241/3.55, 2" Teraflex, ¾" cradle drop, KK forks, 22" hub-to-flare, RRO arms, No-Slip (front), 245/75R16s, 248,000km
Mine: 1993 W250, Cummins/5spd/NP205/3.54, Lockright, ~3" lift, 315/75R16 Duratracs, extra smoke, more noise, 368,000km


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just noticed that TPMS modules are no longer available
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 13119
Location: Colorado Springs
u2slow wrote:
If the dealer can't supply you with the part, I'd insist they de-program it from the vehicle - at their expense.

Now that is illegal and not 1 dealer will do it for any cost.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just noticed that TPMS modules are no longer available
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Posts: 121
tjkj2002 wrote:
u2slow wrote:
If the dealer can't supply you with the part, I'd insist they de-program it from the vehicle - at their expense.

Now that is illegal and not 1 dealer will do it for any cost.


That's my point... something's gotta give. Forcing a 12yo vehicle off the road on the grounds of 'safety' because a manual tire pressure gauge can't be substituted is ridiculous.

Pretty soon we'll have to buy a new car when the tires go bald... :dizzy:

_________________
Hers: 2005 KJ, V6/6spd/NP241/3.55, 2" Teraflex, ¾" cradle drop, KK forks, 22" hub-to-flare, RRO arms, No-Slip (front), 245/75R16s, 248,000km
Mine: 1993 W250, Cummins/5spd/NP205/3.54, Lockright, ~3" lift, 315/75R16 Duratracs, extra smoke, more noise, 368,000km


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just noticed that TPMS modules are no longer available
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:05 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 13119
Location: Colorado Springs
u2slow wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
u2slow wrote:
If the dealer can't supply you with the part, I'd insist they de-program it from the vehicle - at their expense.

Now that is illegal and not 1 dealer will do it for any cost.


That's my point... something's gotta give. Forcing a 12yo vehicle off the road on the grounds of 'safety' because a manual tire pressure gauge can't be substituted is ridiculous.

Pretty soon we'll have to buy a new car when the tires go bald... :dizzy:

TPMS was not federally mandated in the US till model year 2008,so any 2007 and older they do not have to keep producing parts for said system.Now for a 2008 and newer they do,even if it's just a remaned part which it will most likely be.

As far as if you have a TPMS system installed from the factory regardless of year it can not be legally tampered with in any way,same goes for airbags and seatbelts per federal laws in the US for US vehicles.


Oh and I know alot of people that do just trade in there vehicles when it needs something like tires,even now a few that refuse to do anything to there vehicle including a simple oil change.1st problem and it gets trades in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just noticed that TPMS modules are no longer available
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm
Posts: 3961
Location: Central GA
Is this the OEM part number? :roll:

56053020AG
"CONTROL MODULE. Receiver. Tire Pressure Monitoring Warning LP"

If so, Google it, plenty on eBay. :google:

_________________
05 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited :JEEPIN:
Blk Brush Guard/Hella's/LED's
Ironman Springs/Bilstein's
Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/BatteryTray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/NAPA HDclutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair, Huge K&N


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com