It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 KJ 3.7 - random codes for misfire, oil light on at idle
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got a used 2005 KJ 3.7 from my aunt and uncle. It's not in amazing shape and they didn't do much for it except oil changes and "fix it when it breaks". It's got about 185k right now.

They got rid of it thinking the engine was knocking. Turns out the water pump bearing had failed and the pump shaft was knocking all over the place. No idea how it didn't bleed out every few weeks.

It's rear ended multiple things, and slapped back together just enough to "look right". Amazon front bumper and grill. Driver's headlight held in with wood shims, zip ties, and the ghost of Jeep's past, and who knows what else I haven't found yet. (Trans cooler is bent, ac condenser is bent, both function and don't leak so I've not touched em yet).

There are two things that I really need fixed. First is a random misfire. It happens randomly, I can't seem to find rhyme or reason for it. Some days it's #4, once it was #4 & #6, I've moved the coil packs around when it threw a code for #3 and swapped #3 and #1, but haven't had issues with those since. I have all service records back to about 2012 and there are notes about a shop also moving coil packs to figure out this issue, along with notes that heads were replaced, and some other basic service. Also a note that #2 and #4 have lower compression than the rest.

The other issue is the oil light coming on at idle. Not sure what to do to fix it, but would be nice. It's had a few replacement sensor's from the 1st owner and my aunt and uncle, and it never stopped. They just assumed it was fine since the jeep never had issues. Is this common? Any way to fix it?

This is my first jeep. My mechanic cousin says it's a ticking timebomb. I just need something to get me to and from work every day and want to keep it running right.ImageImage

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk