It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to the forums need help with Lower Ball Joint job
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello LOST Jeeps,

I found out that I have bad lower ball joints on my 2007 KJ Limited 4x4 . I am running into an issue while trying to replace these. I am unable to get the 3 unit bearing bolts out to remove the knuckle and get to the ball joints. My question is before I go over to the hardware store can anyone confirm that these 3 bolts are E14 torx? Also is there any way to do this without removing those bolts? I have not removed the axle nut as of yet but I am not sure I need to for this or not. Another forum member suggested just removing the spindle on a post from a while ago but I am not 100% sure what the spindle refers to. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: New to the forums need help with Lower Ball Joint job
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes they are E14 bolts and yes you must remove the axle nut and yes you can do the LBJ's without removing those 3 bolts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for your reply. So I went to the store and got an e14 torx socket but no matter what I tried was not able to get those bolts off the unit bearing. I am scared to continue trying to remove them as I do not want them to be stripped.

Please see attached image I cant get the part indicated by the red arrow off of the hub to then pull the knuckle off without taking out the e14 unit bearing screws. And I cant pull the whole assembly out because the part indicated in blue stops the axle (green) from coming out.

I guess my question is if its possible to do the ball joints without removing those bolts how do you do it. Im sort of desperate at this point but not desperate enough to pay this bozo at the shop $600 bucks to do it (YET).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm 
LOST Member

Remove the spindle nut from the end of the CV-axle. Remove the brake caliper and mounting bracket. Zip-tie the brake caliper to something to take the strain off the rubber line. Remove the lower ball joint nut, steering arm nut, and upper ball joint nut. At this point, nothing should be preventing you from pulling the knuckle off of the vehicle. If the splines from the cv-axle are seized, try gently tapping the end of the axle, protruding from the knuckle, with a soft facing hammer. Do not hit it with anything denser than brass and don't hit it hard (you can also use a bearing puller with the arms flipped around to press it out). You'll risk damaging the wheel bearings. Rent a ball joint press from your local auto parts store and press the old ones out, new ones in, and reinstall everything in the opposite order. Make sure to lube the splines of the cv-axle with good grease upon re-assembly. Also, do not hammer on the new ball joints to get them in, they are easily damaged even though they may not FEEL like it when you get done.

EDIT: You'll need a 34mm or 35mm socket and a long breaker bar of the right drive size to get the spindle nut off. You'll also need a piece of bar or tube rigid enough to put between the wheel lug studs to prevent the hub from turning while you remove the spindle nut.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

A good impact makes quick work of the spindle nut as well. I used a block of wood on the end of the axle to knock it free with a hammer. The wood protects the end of the axle from mushrooming.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:22 am 
LOST Member

Late in seeing your posts but why won't Jeep do the Lower Ball Joint replace under the old Recall? I had mine done.

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.