It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rear axle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2005 CRD. When I get on and off the pedal it feels like I am being kicked in the rear. At exactly 71 MPH, and I mean exactly, I develop a loud vibration and hum. It does not matter what the engine RPM is because I tried it with the OD on and off. Yesterday I jacked it up and there was a lot of slop when you turned the back wheels. I changed the gear oil. It came out dark brown smelling like burnt caramel. I did not change it when I got the Liberty and the rear issue and vibration have been going on for a couple months, just finally got some time and good weather. I looked and the 2005 gas and diesel have the same gear ratio. Does this mean it is the same axle?

Post subject: Re: rear axle
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:24 pm 
LOST Member

Gas (3.7L auto) and diesels are supposed to be the same diff; same ratio, trac-lok optional. There's a production change in 2005. Some diffs have the speed sensor in the pumpkin, others have one at each wheel.

The on/off the throttle part, have a close look at the rear upper control arm. The bushings can tear, especially with lift, and/or the balljoint can develop slop.

Assess the pinion for play. Even without play, the bearings can be worn and howl/humm. On our 2005, I didn't realize how significant it was until I renewed the bearings and there was noticeably less road noise. On a 2003 I swapped rear ends on, the pinion was so noisy it sounded like metal-on-metal brakes dragging/growl anytime the Jeep moved. Still no play in it though.

The slop - if it's r&p backlash - you have to pull axles, axle bearings, and seals to even get at the adjusters to take up slack, and re-check the pattern. At that point, might as well renew the carrier bearings.

Gear oil sounds normal if its been in there a while.

Post subject: Re: rear axle
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the symptoms you mention could be caused by a bad ball joint on top of the differential. when it goes bad the angle of the differential can change.