It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheel Spacers and Rub
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:27 am 
LOST Member

My Liberty has 265/75/R16 tires and a lift. I forget how much likely 2-2.5. It has rub with those large wheels. The large tires are mounted to stock wheels. I recall that the pinch weld is a rub spot and part of the inner wheel well too (I haven’t driven it in a year but will have it back on the road soon). I thought that wheel spacers would not help wheel rub in my situation and could make it worse but I keeping reading information the seems conflicting. Would a 1.25 wheel spacer help or hurt?

Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers and Rub
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:20 am 

Science and Energy wrote:
My Liberty has 265/75/R16 tires and a lift. I forget how much likely 2-2.5. It has rub with those large wheels. The large tires are mounted to stock wheels. I recall that the pinch weld is a rub spot and part of the inner wheel well too (I haven’t driven it in a year but will have it back on the road soon). I thought that wheel spacers would not help wheel rub in my situation and could make it worse but I keeping reading information the seems conflicting. Would a 1.25 wheel spacer help or hurt?

Spacers could actually help or make it worse depending on where the rubbing is located. Adding wheel spacers also creates more positive offset which puts more stress on the hub bearings and may make it handle and drive somewhat differently. Are you running stock gears? With 265's, you really need 410 axle gears... :roll:

I have 245/75's on stock rims with a 2.5 lift and 1/2" clavis spacers and I can get an occasional rub in off camber positions. Can't imagine putting 265/75's on it, just does not look like there is enough room without going much higher on the lift which we all know can't be done unless you drop the front differential due to the short left CV axle angle bind issue.

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:42 pm 
LOST Member

JBA sells axles modified to sit deeper in the hub. This is supposed to allow up to 4 inches of lift by straightening out the axles a little. They also offer a "heavy duty" option with stronger CV joints. When my axles go out, I will seriously consider them. You would probably need that upper arms to go with it for the 4 inches of lift.

I am not familiar with dropping the front differential. How tuff is that?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:27 pm 

JBA sells axles modified to sit deeper in the hub. This is supposed to allow up to 4 inches of lift by straightening out the axles a little. They also offer a "heavy duty" option with stronger CV joints. When my axles go out, I will seriously consider them. You would probably need that upper arms to go with it for the 4 inches of lift.
am not familiar with dropping the front differential. How tuff is that?

Deeper in the hub is not the problem as I understand it. The problem is the left side, drivers side axle is so short that if you try and raise it greater than 2.5 inches or so the CV joint will bind due to the extreme angle and parts break.
Not sure how much work is involved in dropping the front axle assembly to limit axle angle bind, but it has been discussed on this forum in the past so you might do a search and find some info on it?
If you can get T. Mudd or TJ to chime in, I know they are the experts on how much you can lift and what all is involved to go greater than 2.5 inches....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:18 pm 
LOST Member

The stock wheel has pronounced positive-offset. Moving the tire outboard with a spacer is the same as reducing the offset.

I've played with the wheel offset and spacers a little bit. In all 3 cases, pushing the tires out seems to improve handling and steering feel. Currently running 245/75R16s.... with stock wheels and 1.25" spacers (summer), or JK steel wheels and 1.5" adapters (winter). I have found I need to stick with good quality (Timken) bearing hubs to have decent lifespan.

You can alleviate the angle on the CV shafts a little by shimming the engine cradle down.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:59 am 
LOST Member

I am running 255 70 16 on stock wheels and had a similar situation to you. Some rubbing so I got some 1.5 inch spidertrax spacers and that just moved the running to other spots..

I had to hammer the pinch weld and fold the fender liner in at the pinch weld. And then I modified the front of the fender liner to push it further forward. I also took out the lowest fender flare fastener and puahed the flare forward and then re-fastened it.

92 XJ 4.0, AW4, NP242, 31s, 1.75 spacer, ZJ V8 coils, double cherokee leaf pack, 2 inch shackles, dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas tank skid, front skid, warn t-case skid

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm 
LOST Member

Pinch weld done here too. Trimmed the air dam under the front bumper.

I also added a big washer to each lower control arm bushing. (~1" center hole IIRC) I figure it helps limit the amount the bushing can squash fore/aft i.e. keep the wheel in the center of the wheel opening.

Still some rubbing, but the pros outweigh the cons.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:13 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I am not familiar with dropping the front differential. How tuff is that?

What >????LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:15 pm 

FIRST
you need 3.5-4 inches of lift to run 265-75-16s
second you need at the very least 4.10 gearing
third, wheel spacers will most likely make it worse with no more lift than that
forth, JBA makes what ?? LOL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:30 am 
LOST Member

https://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-200 ... e-crd.html

Modified CV axles

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:24 pm 

Yes modified , to run higher lifts
They do not sit deeper in the hub at all
Just do not bind when into the 4.5-5 inch higer lifts
By the way I've ran 1000's of miles on stock CVs at 4.5 inches and no issues

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:27 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:

^ Good info 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 am 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:

Is that with a CRD Liberty? I think the driver's side axle is extra short on CRDs making the angels shorter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:06 am 

tommudd wrote:

Is that with a CRD Liberty? I think the driver's side axle is extra short on CRDs making the angels shorter.

That is correst, that is why I only lift CRDs about 2.75 inches due to the front diff being over to left side more