It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sourcing HD cooling parts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey there. I've been looking for HD cooling parts for the KJ because i'm planning on flat towing my YJ to an event at the end of this month and i really have been struggling to find the proper parts though. I saw the mechanical fan on ebay the other day for $30 but it didnt include the shroud so it didnt do me much good. I've been reading around and read that the transmission cooler is standard for all or most KJ's so im not sure if that would be required or not. Can anyone help me out or link me a write up they know of? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Sourcing HD cooling parts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:41 pm 

Skippy102595 wrote:
Hey there. I've been looking for HD cooling parts for the KJ because i'm planning on flat towing my YJ to an event at the end of this month and i really have been struggling to find the proper parts though. I saw the mechanical fan on ebay the other day for $30 but it didnt include the shroud so it didnt do me much good. I've been reading around and read that the transmission cooler is standard for all or most KJ's so im not sure if that would be required or not. Can anyone help me out or link me a write up they know of? Thanks

See this thread, it may be of interest to you?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82941

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:50 am 
LOST Member

I just installed thr hayden 403 for my,liberty for a trans cooler. Very easy. This cooler is about 30 bucks from,oreilly auto. Tied that in series with the factory in radiator cooler (2002 model year) all the info if out there. Get the shroud. The fan/clutch. And upgrade your trans cooler.
If you haven't. Change your diff fluid and trans fluid. They will be working hard...

92 XJ 4.0, AW4, NP242, 31s, 1.75 spacer, ZJ V8 coils, double cherokee leaf pack, 2 inch shackles, dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas tank skid, front skid, warn t-case skid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Skippy102595 wrote:

Very helpful thank you! Do you know if there would be fitment issues on the 3.7L ? And I also would still need a shroud. Any idea what I could use ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:20 pm 

Skippy102595 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Skippy102595 wrote:

Very helpful thank you! Do you know if there would be fitment issues on the 3.7L ? And I also would still need a shroud. Any idea what I could use ?

Never dealt with a 3.7, but I would bet their parts are very similar. DC did not like spending money on different parts when one size fits all would work.... :roll:
I will have to research the PN's for the 3.7 and see if they are the same. If so, it should fit and function the same.....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Okay so tonight I’ve installed all the HD components I purchased. So I did all of that and i turned it over and noticed at first it the whole Jeep was shuttering and jittering but it subsided pretty quickly and I checked everything over and it looked good and went for my cruise down the highway to the next exit and stopped at a gas station to inspect and it was all good. So I get back in and start to go again and the shuttering and jittering returned and then once again went away. Went home and I left it running while I moved my YJ back into the garage & when I got back and went to move, it again started with it’s shuttering. So I popped the hood and started messing around with it again and I figured out that the new fan is running at the same speed as the engine. So when I hit the gas & the RPM’s increase so does the fan speed & that was why I was feeling so much shaking and jittering at first. I then turned it off and on a few times and turned the AC on full blast to get the new electrical fan running and then it seemed to run fine. I went for another drive and I couldn’t replicate the same shaking as I was getting originally with or without the electrical fan running. However, I’m afraid that when I go back out there tomorrow morning and start it up from cold I might get the same issue. Is there like a break in period on thermal fan clutches or is it possible my brand new one might be faulty? If anyone has advice/suggestions I’d appreciate it. Also still looking for information on that trans cooler I know one of you said to do the Hayden cooler from oreilys but My 06 seems to already have what would’ve been considered the HD cooler installed. It’s as long as the normal radiator and extends across the bottom half. Anyone have pictures of that HD cooler on hand?