It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trans line replacement
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm prepping to replace the hard lines that run from the trans to the trans cooler on my 07 liberty because it's leaking pretty bad. Problem is I'm not sure if I need to buy additional couplings for the installation or if I can transfer them from the old line. Can't afford to have the vehicle down for more than a day so I'm pretty leery about pulling things apart. Haven't found any replacement guides specific for this vehicle so any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Trans line replacement
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Anyone at all know? Seems like a common enough problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:55 am 
LOST Member

The lines are flared so the fittings are put on before the flare, therefore they are "stuck" on the lines. Nee ones should come with what you need...but I cant say for 100% certain

92 XJ 4.0, AW4, NP242, 31s, 1.75 spacer, ZJ V8 coils, double cherokee leaf pack, 2 inch shackles, dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas tank skid, front skid, warn t-case skid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Not a bad little job, takes an hour or so. You will need the special tool to release the line from the fitting.

Look up special tool 8875a

They range from 10-70 dollars.

Push and twist.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

danruesch wrote:
Not a bad little job, takes an hour or so. You will need the special tool to release the line from the fitting.

Look up special tool 8875a

They range from 10-70 dollars.

Push and twist.

Or a 99 cent pick set works also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info. I have a pick set I can use for the job. Looking at the line I can see that both ends are flared with little plastic caps behind the flares. So they just pop into the fittings already on the trans cooler and trans? The line is a sunsong 5801078. The only other item offered through Rock auto that I can find is an oil cooler line connector that goes to the trans but I'm guessing I can reuse mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

The plastic caps are just protective covers for the quick release fitting. You can pull them out of the way with your fingers. Once they are pulled back out of the way, the special fitting tool will release the quick lock fittings and the line will pull out .

I bought my line set from carparts.com

There is no need to screw the fittings from the radiator or transmission. The top line can be a bit tricky on clearance between the body and transmission. It just takes some finesse.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:47 pm 
LOST Member

On my 05 diesel nothing but needle nose pliers. They used a hairpin clip or clip shaped like old window crank handles.

The lines had a type of bubble flare near the end. Push line into fitting on cooler and secure with clip. More time spent snaking new line in place.