It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! My horn keeps blowing in the middle of the night.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

This just started during the last two nights. My horn on my 2005 Liberty will start blowing all by itself. Not constantly, but like someone's kid was pounding on the steering column, erratic, sometimes constant beeps. I stopped it the first night, at 2:30AM, in the snow, by disconnecting the battery. I could also stop it by locking and unlocking the doors with the key remote, but it wouldn't stop for long. I reconnected the battery the next day, and all seemed fine, but then while at a neighbors Christmas Party last night, it started again, this time constantly. I pulled the fuse for the horn this time and it stopped. When I started the engine up, with the number 1 fuse pulled, I get a low fuel light and check engine light on the dash, could the fuse cause that?

Anyway, does anyone know which relay, by the battery box, is for the horn? I'd like to put the number 1 fuse back in, but disable the horn, to see if everything goes back to normal. Any other ideas?

I'm beginning to wonder if a mouse hasn't gotten into the dash somewhere and chewed through some of the wiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:19 pm 
This member has been Banned

man that crap sounds like your KJ is Haunted and it wants you to drive it at night. it may be nocturnal :shock:

my .02 would be that like you said, something might have crawled in there and chewed something up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Basically the same idea. Look for a short somewhere.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:58 pm 
LOST Member

Don't roll over with the key still in your pants. :roll:

3 Jeeps owned
Favorite Destination Gunnison Co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

It's not the same as pushing the "PANIC" button on the key, the lights don't flash, it's just the horn.

Does anyone know which relay it is? I'd like to get my power windows back until I find the problem in the wiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Do you have the OEM alarm? If you do you might have a bad door switch that can cause your problems.

Or....................

Have you had the windshield replaced? If so it could be leaking right on the steering wheel causing your problems,a leaking sunroof can do this also.

Or....................

A bad SRS clockspring can be at fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Do you have the OEM alarm? If you do you might have a bad door switch that can cause your problems.

Or....................

Have you had the windshield replaced? If so it could be leaking right on the steering wheel causing your problems,a leaking sunroof can do this also.

Or....................

A bad SRS clockspring can be at fault.

No to the alarm and windshield possibilities. You'll have to educate me on what a SRS Clockspring is :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Might not be your case. My old work car(1990 Pontiac 6000) does the same thing when it gets below -10 out. Even after pulling the horn fuse it continues to do so. It will shut off if I go out and smack the steering wheel. Only thing I can figure out is condensation(moisture) in the streering wheel that when freezes cause a short :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

tmaxx26power wrote:
Might not be your case. My old work car(1990 Pontiac 6000) does the same thing when it gets below -10 out. Even after pulling the horn fuse it continues to do so. It will shut off if I go out and smack the steering wheel. Only thing I can figure out is condensation(moisture) in the streering wheel that when freezes cause a short :?

I thought it might be cold related, since it's been much colder here the last two nights, but not below freezing (34 to 36). Since I'm able to stop it by pulling the fuse, it's got to be in the low current side of the circuit, so maybe the horn switch on the column or something inside that's cold sensitive. Or, as I said earlier, a critter has chewed his way into a harness somewhere.

Still looking for someone that knows which relay is the one for the horn in the relay box by the battery. Anyone have the chassis schematics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:30 pm 
I live here
I live here

Does a low battery level in the key remote cause this? Some devices give off alarm sounds when power gets low. Just a stab at an idea. Someone playing tricks on you with another remote? Gremlins?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Tokyojoe wrote:
Gremlins?

I'd almost believe this. When I was trying to find the horn, the first night, at 2:30 AM and had my head stuck down near the battery and left headlight, and the horn went off, I just about soiled my pants. I would have sworn that someone or something NEW the perfect time to blow that sucker. :shock:

Scott B)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Starcrwzr wrote:
Tokyojoe wrote:
Gremlins?

I'd almost believe this. When I was trying to find the horn, the first night, at 2:30 AM and had my head stuck down near the battery and left headlight, and the horn went off, I just about soiled my pants. I would have sworn that someone or something NEW the perfect time to blow that sucker. :shock:

Scott B)

Hahahaha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The funny thing is....that is the exact location of the horn!! LOL!!!

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:55 pm 
This member has been Banned

the answer to your questiona bout the location of the horn relay is in the RELAY-FUSE box in front of the battery and in between the headlight on the driver side. you know, right where you put your head when the HORN went off :shock: :shock: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Following this discussion as it happened to me the other night as well.
Happened while i was driving it. I had to make a quick trip of about 2 miles. On the return trip, it beeped. Just as if i had pushed on the horn. Less then a seconds worth beep though. Have not had a repeat or any further problems.
It has been cold here the past couple days too. 6 for a high today. Maybe condensation has something to do with it. Still isn't right though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:40 am 
LOST Newbie

rangerd77 wrote:
the answer to your questiona bout the location of the horn relay is in the RELAY-FUSE box in front of the battery and in between the headlight on the driver side. you know, right where you put your head when the HORN went off :shock: :shock: :!:

Yes, I know that's where it's at, but none of them are labeled "HORN", do you know which one it is in the box? :?:

Scott B)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:10 am 
LOST Addict

According to my '02 manual the horn relay in the junction block inside the cab on the side of the driver side dash.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:12 am 
LOST Newbie

my horn started to blow randomly for no reason while car was off. first thing i did was pull the fuse which i then found out my fuse box is set up differently than the book layout. my horn and front lighter/outlet are switched. it ended up i needed a new battery and problem solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:27 am 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

I was going to suggest a weak battey as well. sounded familiar for some reason. maybe on a past vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mightybeet wrote:
my horn started to blow randomly for no reason while car was off. first thing i did was pull the fuse which i then found out my fuse box is set up differently than the book layout. my horn and front lighter/outlet are switched. it ended up i needed a new battery and problem solved.

Yup, same here. Found out along time ago that my OM does not agree with my fuse box. Ive got a pic of the correct chart around here somewhere....

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:22 am 
Master of the Blender

jeepkj02 wrote:
According to my '02 manual the horn relay in the junction block inside the cab on the side of the driver side dash.

That's where the '05 FSM shows it as well, inboard of the fuse block on the left hand (drivers) side of the dash. Here's a diagram for it: