It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '05 passenger front seat BACK removal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:55 pm 
LOST Member

Probably sounds crazy, and a long shot, but I would like to be able to remove the back portion of the passenger seat so I can put longer lengths of boards inside. I would like also to be able to reattach it w/o losing the function of adjustment of the back.

The only way I can see if it's possible is to purchase a seat at a salvage yard and do some exploratory surgery.

'05 CRD, GDE tune(s), JBA stuff, OME, Weeks Stage I & II, "Provent"(custom) +++

Post subject: Re: '05 passenger front seat BACK removal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Or get a seat from a newer KK Liberty or Dodge Nitro.
The passenger seat folds flat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:40 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for your reply!
That sounds like a doable option for sure! The only thing I have to investigate is the bolt pattern that mounts to the floor.

I've also considered just unbolting the whole seat assembly, but the only drawback is the electrical connection I noted that appears to be part of a much larger electrical series of sensors or .... (?). Only 3 wires are the main source (which can be easily disconnected, but it branches and connects to other electrical "boxes" under the seat.

Although the seat I have has no heating, electric seat adjustments or other options, I can't imagine what else they could service. It's possible that it has some function with the air bags (?) My concern is it sending a fault code if disconnected. Which brings to mind if the KK seat would have a corresponding electrical connection that would be the same as the KJ.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:56 pm 
LOST Addict

The KK seats mounts in the same bolt holes.
I had to cut away some of the carpet to get it to sit properly.

The wiring under the KJ seat is for the seatbelt sensor and airbag sensor module.
Unplugging them will cause the seatbelt warning to constantly ding while driving.
To stop the dinging, pull out the airbag fuses. Which naturally disables the airbags.
So if you wanted to temporarily remove the passenger seat, it’s not a bad option.

Switching to a KK seat will require swapping the airbag and seatbelt sensor stuff over to the new seat. It’s a delicate process that I somehow managed to screw up. So, my airbags are disabled.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:19 pm 
LOST Member

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Unless there's some other reason for converting to a KK seat (comfort?) I'll probably just remove my seat on the very few occasions that I'll be needing to do it. As for the chime thing, I've found that it can be disabled (as I have done) but the light on the dash remains.

I didn't mention that I mostly want to remove the back is for that when I go camping and NEED (due to weather) to sleep in the Jeep, it's just a slight bit short on length even with the seat pulled all the way forward and seat back tilted as far forward a possible.

Thanks again for the info!