It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Manual Clutch Replacement procedure/hours labor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:34 pm 
LOST Member

Hey KJ Manual Transmission guys,

I am going to replace my stock clutch assembly and bearings.
What parts need removal? Like Transmission, Flywheel resurfacing, Transfer Case?

I do not feel able to do this myself so how many hours would a reputable Mechanic bill for this job?

Any pointers from those of you who know what the replacement entails?

Thanks, 2005, 3.7L, 4x4 Sport, six speed manual transmission

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

Post subject: Re: Manual Clutch Replacement procedure/hours labor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:10 pm 
LOST Member

I did it myself in my driveway on jackstands and blocks over a couple days (~6hrs each).

I put a clutch kit on the used flywheel (160,000km). IIRC, I scuffed up the surface a little with emery cloth. Same hydraulics, same pilot bearing. We're at 251,000km now with no issues.

Driveshafts, tcase, and crossmember have to come out. Unbolt the shifter from inside under the boot. Be careful disconnecting any wiring or linkages not to break anything.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:31 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks,
I am not skilled or strong enough to do this myself so will go to a small auto repair shop with good reputation here.
Surprised that you left the Flywheel with only some sanding.
My Throwout Bearing is squealing when I back up so I have purchased all new Pilot and T O along with the new clutch assembly from CROWN brand.
I hope the mechanic does not mess up any of the linkage or shafts.
I love 4x4 Drive but what a pain to do mechanical work on.
The 2 Toyota 4x4 Pick Up trucks I previously owned were so easy to work on.
Now I am older and not as strong with joint pain if I try to muscle a wrench.
Did you bleed the clutch cylinder?
Any other notes on reassembly after the install?
:JEEPIN:

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:01 pm 
LOST Member

Have any Manual Transmission owners, or on other vehicles, had good ratings for CROWN parts? Quality, reliability, longevity?
Do you have any other Brands you have experienced good performance with?
Are most after market parts equal to or better than Stock?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I have no experience with the Manual transmission parts, but as for most KJ parts, Crown is about the worst possible reputation out there, and have a long standing record earning that rep.
Most of us that intend to keep our KJs long-term, tend to avoid Crown if another choice is available.
Crown exists for used car dealerships who want to simply put the cheapest possible fix in place to get the vehicle dumped into someone else's lap and past the 5 minutes/ 5 miles warranty
AS for the best brand, that depends largely on the particular part. Best to ask specifically.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Liberty for All wrote:
Hey KJ Manual Transmission guys,

I am going to replace my stock clutch assembly and bearings.
What parts need removal? Like Transmission, Flywheel resurfacing, Transfer Case?

I do not feel able to do this myself so how many hours would a reputable Mechanic bill for this job?

Any pointers from those of you who know what the replacement entails?

Thanks, 2005, 3.7L, 4x4 Sport, six speed manual transmission

Can not machine the KJ's flywheel,it has a curved surface and will have chattering afterwards if it is machined.

Also can not bleed the master or slave,it comes as one unit pre-bleed and a major pain to try and replace as 1 unit,hope yours is in good shape and not leaking.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:38 pm 
LOST Member

Liberty for All wrote:

Surprised that you left the Flywheel with only some sanding.
My Throwout Bearing is squealing when I back up so I have purchased all new Pilot and T O along with the new clutch assembly from CROWN brand.

I love 4x4 Drive but what a pain to do mechanical work on.
The 2 Toyota 4x4 Pick Up trucks I previously owned were so easy to work on.

Did you bleed the clutch cylinder?

Between the cost of the flywheel, and only having 160,000km, I felt it was fine to go a good while longer. So far so good. I went with an AMS Automotive 01049 kit. I was replacing the trans and clutch because the previous owner had buggered reverse, and somehow made the clutch impossible to engage smoothly. The dual-mass flywheel can't be resurfaced - so they say... wasn't going to attempt. I didn't like the spots and glazing on the flywheel, so I scuffed it up a little with the emery.

I think the Liberty is fairly easy to work on for an IFS 4x4. I don't miss Chevy S10s and Ford Explorers one bit.

I never opened the hydraulics on the master/slave. I left the line connected and just hung it off to the side while a re&re'd the trans.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:47 pm 
LOST Member

Today I picked up my Jeep from a small but well recommended garage who did the clutch replacement.
I was phoned by the mechanic who said the machine shop charged extra, $55, more to turn the Flywheel. He said it has a special
type of contour.
Is this true? What is different about the Jeep Flywheels?

Also, he informs me that the clinking sound appears to come from the rear upper ball joints. I know about the front lower ball joints but do the rear ball joints have any recall problems on our Libertys?

If not, can I replace them myself without raising up the Jeep?
Are there any better than stock replacement parts? Where would I find these aftermarket parts?

Thanks as always for the knowledge, help and money our group here have saved me several times.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:05 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
You may have found a mechanic worth sticking with.

These flywheels are delivered new with a convex ground face, rather than flat as was common in the past.

From FSM

"Flywheel machining is not recommended. The flywheel clutch surface is machined to a unique contour and machining will negate this feature. However, minor flywheel scoring can be cleaned up by hand with 180 grit emery, or with surface grinding equipment.

Remove only enough material to reduce scoring (approximately 0.001 - 0.003. in.). Heavy stock removal is not recommended. Replace the flywheel if scoring is severe and deeper than 0.076 mm (0.003in.). Excessive stock removal can result in flywheel cracking or warpage after installation. It can also weaken the flywheel and interfere with proper clutch release."

Seems to be fairly common nowadays, as a way to reduce clutch chatter and "bite" that breaks driveline parts among other things.

Rear Upper Trilink -AKA- Boomerang (link) this is the stock type. Most recommend only the OEM mopar one. There are cheaper ones available from other brands, but you will be replacing them regularly.

AS an improvement - WWDiesel makes a bolt-in adapter used in concert with an Ironrock WK piece that can adjust from stock to any lift added later, and will probably outast the vehicle. Best news - it's cheaper than the OEM one.
Check these:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=87307&p=917462&hilit=ironrock+image#p917462
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88897&p=926524&hilit=ironrock+image#p926524

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:28 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks,

Very interesting about our Special Flywheels on both the 3.7L and 2.8L engines. Whatever the Machine Shop did to mine, it is shifting more smoothly than before and pedal pressure is lighter now. Mechanic saved my old Throwout Bearing and it had two notches from wear on the sides. What caused that?

As to the Upper Control Arms, I got the bushings and joints from the Jeep Parts just to be safe. I was not sure the Sasquatch Parts would fit my stock 3.7L gas Liberty. My Mechanic will press them into the old boomerangs and hopefully will not have to do this again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:57 pm 
LOST Member

I just called the machine shop that did the turn of my Flywheel. He is very knowledgeable and informed me that he inspects each one for problems before he turns it. Ours are Dual Surfaced and he has turned them before to the tolerances you mentioned with no comebacks. This was surely a cheaper way than buying a new Flywheel for my 14 year old Jeep.
As I previously mentioned, the clutch and shifting are very smooth and lighter pressure on the pedal is noted.

I replaced the Transmission oil with Red Line too.