It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally have settled for a lift/
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think I have finally settled for a lift that doesn't break the bank like JBA and isn't of horrible quality like everyone else. I have settled for the Frankenlift II Premium. I want to fit 265/75/16s under the lift but am still not entirely sure if they will fit. Help?

Post subject: Re: Finally have settled for a lift/
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:23 pm 
LOST Member

From their website...
http://www.boulderbars.com/frankenlift_faq.htm

Quote:
Also on tires: 245x75r16 tires fit the best out of all the sizes on a lifted KJ. And about 50% of those KJs NEED to pound out the pinch weld behind the front tires. It depends on your type of wheeling. It also depends on the actual tire diameter.

YES! You can run 265's on a KJ, but make sure whatever lift you pick is at the max height. Also plan on trimming about 50% of your inner front fender wells, the air dam, and the pinchweld behind the tires. This will leave the washer bottle exposed, so some undercoating or a sheet metal shield over it works okay. When we trim out the front, we undercoat the areas trimmed to preserve the life of the KJ. Removing the plastic inner fenders completely also works, but may not be enough protection in snow county, or where the roads are salted.

Once trick I did to help tire clearance a little when turning, is a large washer on each of the lower control arm bushings. They have a ~1" center hole, so they really only float in there and limit how much the bushing can travel/distort.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:40 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

mfreier wrote:
I think I have finally settled for a lift that doesn't break the bank like JBA and isn't of horrible quality like everyone else. I have settled for the Frankenlift II Premium. I want to fit 265/75/16s under the lift but am still not entirely sure if they will fit. Help?

LOL well now where to start
There are other options out there using OME springs , but the Franky is a good lift, have installed a few of them
NOW for running 265-75-16s, are you going to regear to at least 4.10s ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:58 pm 

u2slow wrote:
From their website...
Once trick I did to help tire clearance a little when turning, is a large washer on each of the lower control arm bushings. They have a ~1" center hole, so they really only float in there and limit how much the bushing can travel/distort.

Some also add a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer on top of the clevis fork under the strut to gain additional lift.
JBA sells them or you can make your own by stacking 2" conduit nuts. :idea:
https://jbaoffroad.com/clevis-spacer-fo ... truts.html

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
mfreier wrote:

There are other options out there using OME springs , but the Franky is a good lift, have installed a few of them

Yes i was planning on regearing anyways. I just need to know if 265 75 16s will physically fit without any major trimming needed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was also planning on getting 1.25 in spacers to help with backspacing because I'm going to stay on stock rims.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:49 pm 

mfreier wrote:
tommudd wrote:
mfreier wrote:

Yes i was planning on regearing anyways. I just need to know if 265 75 16s will physically fit without any major trimming needed.

You'll have more than 4 inches of lift when first installed and then settle in at 2.5 inches or so. Will take a while to settle them in so need to take it out and flex it good. Make sure you do proper bumpstops in the rear as well. DO NOT add anything to them like washers/ top plates etc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:49 pm 

mfreier wrote:
tommudd wrote:
mfreier wrote:

You'll have more than 4 inches of lift when first installed and then settle in at 2.5 inches or so. Will take a while to settle them in so need to take it out and flex it good. Make sure you do proper bumpstops in the rear as well. DO NOT add anything to them like washers/ top plates etc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:

How does one determine the proper height of rear bumpstops? There is a stock upper stop, so we'd add a lower, correct? I'm installing a 2.5 inch lift.

2013 KTM 350 EXC
2003 KTM 200 EXC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:25 pm 

ebmtnbkr wrote:
tommudd wrote:

How does one determine the proper height of rear bumpstops? There is a stock upper stop, so we'd add a lower, correct? I'm installing a 2.5 inch lift.

A lot depends on what wheels, what width and backspacing
A 7 inch wide wheel and 4 inches of backspacing will require less bumpstop than a 7 inch wide wheel with 3 inches of back spacing
I'm running 8 inch wide , 5 inches of backspacing with 265-70-16 tires and 1.5 inches of bumpstop for example