It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clevis Rubbing CV Boot
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:12 am 
LOST Newbie

I installed a 2.5" spacer lift ( Yes i understand its the worse way to lift a KJ) but any how the drivers side clevis is rubbing the CV boot and the passenger side has like 2 inches or so of clearance. Can anybody tell me how to fix this or what could be causing it?

Post subject: Re: Clevis Rubbing CV Boot
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:38 am 
LOST Member

swampbandit wrote:
I installed a 2.5" spacer lift ( Yes i understand its the worse way to lift a KJ) but any how the drivers side clevis is rubbing the CV boot and the passenger side has like 2 inches or so of clearance. Can anybody tell me how to fix this or what could be causing it?

I can't help, but those who can will need to know if your rig is a crd or gasser, what year it is, mileage and whether or not the rest of the suspension is stock. If you provide, I'm sure someone will have some insight.
Good luck!

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:23 am 
LOST Newbie

iakj11 wrote:
swampbandit wrote:

I can't help, but those who can will need to know if your rig is a crd or gasser, what year it is, mileage and whether or not the rest of the suspension is stock. If you provide, I'm sure someone will have some insight.
Good luck!

2002 Liberty Gasser, 160k miles, just put new front struts on but they are just OEM type struts, I know im being cheap by not going with the more expensive lift kits but when it comes to a work/camp vehicle i dont want to spend a fortune on a lift exc... I got expensive stuff on my Ram lol

Last edited by swampbandit on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:28 am 
LOST Addict

swampbandit wrote:

Is it rubbing when all 4 wheels are on the ground?
If so, you have too much lift or your spacer is pushing the clevis down too far.

2.5 lift shouldn't cause any cv boot rubbing while all 4 wheels are on the ground.

pictures would help

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:47 am 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
swampbandit wrote:

If so, you have too much lift or your spacer is pushing the clevis down too far.

2.5 lift shouldn't cause any cv boot rubbing while all 4 wheels are on the ground.

pictures would help

Thanks for the response and i will try to get some this evening. Im still in the process of finishing it and havent put it on the ground yet but with a jack under the LCA and jacking it to the point that the vehicle is rising it was still rubbing, the spacers measure a little less than 2 inches.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:03 pm 
LOST Member

I discovered the CV boots can be different between OE and aftermarket. The OE ones are stiffer and seem to take up more space. It always seems I have to take more of the Jeep apart to remove an OE shaft.

How about shimming your engine cradle down? 1/4" is easy and might be all you need for clearance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

u2slow wrote:
I discovered the CV boots can be different between OE and aftermarket. The OE ones are stiffer and seem to take up more space. It always seems I have to take more of the Jeep apart to remove an OE shaft.

How about shimming your engine cradle down? 1/4" is easy and might be all you need for clearance.

Ill look into it, i know nothing about that but im sure i can figure it out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:28 pm 
LOST Addict

u2slow wrote:

Exactly how easy is it to drop the cradle 1/4 inch?
What do you use for shims?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:43 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

flash7210 wrote:
u2slow wrote:

Exactly how easy is it to drop the cradle 1/4 inch?
What do you use for shims?

Please NO !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 pm 

swampbandit wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
swampbandit wrote:

pictures would help

Thanks for the response and i will try to get some this evening. Im still in the process of finishing it and havent put it on the ground yet but with a jack under the LCA and jacking it to the point that the vehicle is rising it was still rubbing, the spacers measure a little less than 2 inches.

With sagging springs and a >>>>>>>>>>>spacer you can not be high enough to cause any issues with rubbing
Plus you will have to get it aligned which will change things as well