It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loss of power and funny noise on acceleration or high revs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I drive a jeep cherokee 2.5 crd 2004 model. I was driving the other day when suddenly the car loss power and gave some funny noise like as though the car doesn't have oil. It eventually switched off and couldn't start for a while. Had to tow the car home after some time started the car and maintains idling but as soon as I give high revs it makes this noise as though there's not not enough oil.

Could it be a bad turbo? I have been noticing oil leak under the big hoses connecting to the radiator and directly under the turbo...

please help
Joseph

Post subject: Re: Loss of power and funny noise on acceleration or high re
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:18 pm 
LOST Member

I would suggest checking the turbo IMMEDIATELY. Pull the CAC inlet hose off (from turbo to intercooler) and check the turbo shaft for side-to-side play and in-and-out play. It should spin with no effort and should have almost no movement side-to-side. I tiny bit of in-and-out movement (1mm total?) is ok. If the shaft moves far enough to one side it will hit the turbo housing and make a very noticeable shriek sound.

All this being said, a bad turbo generally won't prevent the car from starting. That sounds a little more like an air-in-fuel issue. Check the turbo first, then we can address the failure to start.