It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some fuel pump advice
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all! Yesterday, I had the unfortunate experience of having to get my 06 Liberty towed. While I was out (getting milk of all things), I had a no start condition. Engine cranked fine but would not fire. Had it towed to my parents house where I work on this thing and did some testing. I pulled out the relay and tested it. It worked fine. Just to be sure, I swapped it with the relay for my A/C compressor and it still didn't fire. So I disconnected the fuel line from the engine to test the pressure. Nothing. Now here's why I'm condemning the fuel pump, but want to be sure on my diagnosis. I do not hear the fuel pump come on with the key in and turn it one click. Doing some research on the symptoms, I have been noticing periods of sluggishness and periods of a very peppy engine which some sites say could be a symptom of a failing pump. And I guess at 185k miles, it was due. Other quirks I've experienced is periodically during drastic temperature changes, if I stopped at a store, ran in and came out, it'd stall at start up and only get it going if I hit the accelerator when it would start to spark.

With the background story out of the way, I guess my questions are, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed shopping for a pump. They range from 90 bucks to 400. The Mopar dealer I bought my radiator on has it for $221. What are people's experiences with replacement pumps? Recommendations on a good part?

My dad thinks the PCM may have went too and not sending power to the fuel pump. Is that common to fail?

Thanks all :)

Post subject: Re: Some fuel pump advice
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 pm 
LOST Member

I would only go with OEM if had to drop the tank, Sounds to me like a fuel pump if the relay is engaging. My experiences with aftermarket replacement parts are not good even with a warranty.

Mopar skids.
5-speed manual.
235 70 17 Firestone destination AT'S on stock rims.
Gen 4.5 a-arms