It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pinion Angle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey All,

I've installed a JBA 2.5" lift on my 2003 3.7L sport. I got around 3" of lift in the back and I adjusted the fronts to 2.5". I've picked up an Iron Rock rear upper control arm and a WW Diesel mounting bracket. I've been reading through my shop manual and either I'm completely blind or my glasses are failing me, but I can't seem to find a recommended drive shaft to pinion angle. I have little doubt I'm at a greater angle than a stock Liberty. I get a little bit of a whirling noise when I'm on the highway at 75 MPH. It started right after I installed the lift kit so I'm betting the greater pinion angle is the cause.

In my mind, the pinion and drive shaft should be in line when its sitting on the ground or a very small angle off 180 degrees. Yes or something else? Also, when I rotate the rear axle a little bit to correct the angle, is there anything else I need to watch for or correct? I have plenty of play with e brake cables, brake lines and the diff vent tube.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Metalengineer

Original Owner, 2003 Sport, JBA Coil Overs with FOX remote reservoir shocks, JBA's 4.5 UCA's, Skid Row/Jeep armor, Ruff Stuff rear diff cover, K&N cold air intake kit, Magna Flow exhaust, Iron Rock Off-road rear UCA, Satellite Radio, 03 GC EVIC.

Post subject: Re: Pinion Angle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:59 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Tail shaft of transfer case and pinion should be close to being on the same plane.
with 2.5-3 inches not that far off

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info Tom. I appreciate it.

More to follow after the install.

Original Owner, 2003 Sport, JBA Coil Overs with FOX remote reservoir shocks, JBA's 4.5 UCA's, Skid Row/Jeep armor, Ruff Stuff rear diff cover, K&N cold air intake kit, Magna Flow exhaust, Iron Rock Off-road rear UCA, Satellite Radio, 03 GC EVIC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:32 pm 

I went out and crawled up under mine while setting on level concrete, visually the pinion angle looks to be on the same plane or maybe a degree or two less than the transfer case output shaft just as Tom suggested. Mine has a 2.5" lift and the rear is probably closer to 3" of lift. (Ironman Springs)
Be sure on the IronRock arm you have the Heim joint screwed all the way in as far as it will go with the big lock nut on the back side of the arm. See picture.
You can also cut some of the threaded length off the end of the Heim joint to allow it to screw all the way in to the bottom of the threads if you want. You will never need the additional length on the Liberty. I cut about 1 inch off mine before installing which allowed lowering the pinion angle to closely match the OEM angle.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 am 
LOST Newbie

Do you have Links to these parts as I cannot seem to find them on their website?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:00 pm 

dac44444 wrote:
Do you have Links to these parts as I cannot seem to find them on their website?

Which parts are you referring to? The IronMan Control Arm? :?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
I went out and crawled up under mine while setting on level concrete, visually the pinion angle looks to be on the same plane or maybe a degree or two less than the transfer case output shaft just as Tom suggested. Mine has a 2.5" lift and the rear is probably closer to 3" of lift. (Ironman Springs)
Be sure on the IronRock arm you have the Heim joint screwed all the way in as far as it will go with the big lock nut on the back side of the arm. See picture.
You can also cut some of the threaded length off the end of the Heim joint to allow it to screw all the way in to the bottom of the threads if you want. You will never need the additional length on the Liberty. I cut about 1 inch off mine before installing which allowed lowering the pinion angle to closely match the OEM angle.

Did you get the flex join option for you IRO arm?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:02 am 

JJam2112 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

Did you get the flex join option for you IRO arm?

No, using the standard hard rubber bushings that comes standard with it.
I was told by one person who actually tried them said they were very noisy so he went back to the standard bushings.
Remember the two ends of the control are are mounted to the body right underneath the rear seat and any excess movement will resonate through the cabin.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch