It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iron Rock Rear UCA Install
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I finally had some good weather so I got to install the new rear UCA. Let me first say that Iron Rock was a pleasure to deal with. By accident, they sent left out a bag of parts. I call them, let them know and they sent the parts the next day. As an experiment, I ordered by Polyethylene bushing for the body mounts instead of the rubber ones. You will also note in the next picture the WW Diesel differential mount. I fit like a glove so thanks for making those WW!!

Here is the completed assembly:

My only comment about the body mounts is the socket head cap screws didn't fully engage the end plate. They were about 1/4" short so I bought a longer screw and cut them to length. Now they are flush with the end plate

If you decide to do this install, make a note of the following. I cut 1" off the threaded portion of the differential joint. If you look at the directions, the jam nut is supposed to be located between the control arm and the differenial. Since the Liberty's suspension is shorter than the GC, you have to locate it on the other side. In order to get the jam nut off/on, you will need to cut some of the threaded portion. WW Diesel helped me out with this one.

The actual install too me about 2 hours. The toughest part was getting the old/new differentia mount on the diff. My liberty is a 2003 and the rear sway arm sits right in front of those bolts. My wife manned the floor jack to raise and lower the body so I could access the bolts. Once the diff bracket was installed, its just a matter of locating the UCA. I reused the original body mount bolts and the Iron Rock kit came with new hardware for the diff bracket. Here is the final install:

When i removed the original UCA, each side of the arm had e brake supports and the drivers side has a wiring harness attached to it (going to the differential). After I installed the UCA, I drilled a hole for the e brake clip and pushed it in. I was prepared to drill and tap a bolt to i could re-install the original hardware, but the tubing Iron Rock uses is either a solid bar or very thick tubing. I'm thinking I'll have to get a shorter bolt, but for now, I zip tied it to the UCA.

I did this install so I could correct the drive shaft to pinion angle. Tom Mudd helped me understand where it should be and with my lift, I was not where I wanted to be. But, now it is. :pepper:

I installed the PE body mount bushing because I wanted to tighten up the rear end just a bit. This install did exactly that. The original UCA was well past its prime. The body bushings were cracked and had a few pieces missing. I put some similar PE bushing on another car and I didn't notice any difference in ride quality. My Liberty however, I think I'm feeling the differential right around 1800 RPM under hard acceleration. The jury is still out in my mind since I know I need to change a motor mount. I doubt changing the motor mount will make any difference, but I'm in no rush. The worst case, I'll pull out the PE bushing, install the rubber ones and my $80 experiment will have been a bust.

All in all, an easy upgrade.

Enjoy.

Metalengineer

Original Owner, 2003 Sport, JBA Coil Overs with FOX remote reservoir shocks, JBA's 4.5 UCA's, Skid Row/Jeep armor, Ruff Stuff rear diff cover, K&N cold air intake kit, Magna Flow exhaust, Iron Rock Off-road rear UCA, Satellite Radio, 03 GC EVIC.

Post subject: Re: Iron Rock Rear UCA Install
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:23 pm 

Glad you got it installed OK. Please post your driving impressions after you drive it some.
I simply recommend double zip tying the emergency brake cables to the IronRock arms on each side in an X fashion. No drilling required and they will hold them in place perfectly.

Since you went with the upgraded poly bushings on the body ends, I am assuming that is what required the longer bolts? The hard rubber bushings that come with the IronRock control arm on the body end normally use the stock length bolts with no issues.

BTY, your pictures did not post. :(

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Actually, I hate it. I'm going to be out of town for a few days and while I'm out, I'm going to order the rubber ones.

Original Owner, 2003 Sport, JBA Coil Overs with FOX remote reservoir shocks, JBA's 4.5 UCA's, Skid Row/Jeep armor, Ruff Stuff rear diff cover, K&N cold air intake kit, Magna Flow exhaust, Iron Rock Off-road rear UCA, Satellite Radio, 03 GC EVIC.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 am 
LOST Newbie

I received the fabricated/welded mount from WWDiesel and installed the Iron Rock Offroad (IRO) rear Upper Control Arm on my 2005 Jeep Liberty (KJ). The robust well-designed mount was an exact fit to the differential and the original 3 differential mounting bolts were reused. Thanks to WWDiesel, the mount fit like a glove and its was a pleasure dealing with WWDiesel.

I sourced the IRO UPA directly from Iron Rock Offroad and received a discount of ~ $40.00 by ordering the rear UCA without the WJ mount. https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product ... short.html

The original long body bolts worked fine with standard rubber bushings since I only have the OME 2" lift and will do almost no offroading. Note: the boys at IRO do not make a bracket to adapt their WJ UCA to the KJ but are aware that several Jeep Liberty owners have the need for the beefier fully adjustable Wj UCA and will gladly sell the WJ UCA & hardware without the bracket.

151K mi. 04/19
F37 w/no shudder
2nd gen filter head
SAMCO Silicone Turbo Hoses
Airtex E7181M Lift pump/Sasquatch plug-and-play harness
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/
MANN ProVent 200
Weeks stage 1&2
GDE ECO Tune by Green Diesel Engineering
OME 2" lift/Bilstein shocks
IRO rear UCA w/WWDiesel Bracket

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:12 pm 

Dgideon wrote:
I received the fabricated/welded mount from WWDiesel and installed the Iron Rock Offroad (IRO) rear Upper Control Arm on my 2005 Jeep Liberty (KJ). The robust well-designed mount was an exact fit to the differential and the original 3 differential mounting bolts were reused. Thanks to WWDiesel, the mount fit like a glove and its was a pleasure dealing with WWDiesel.
I sourced the IRO UPA directly from Iron Rock Offroad and received a discount of ~ $40.00 by ordering the rear UCA without the WJ mount. https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product ... short.html
The original long body bolts worked fine with standard rubber bushings since I only have the OME 2" lift and will do almost no offroading. Note: the boys at IRO do not make a bracket to adapt their WJ UCA to the KJ but are aware that several Jeep Liberty owners have the need for the beefier fully adjustable Wj UCA and will gladly sell the WJ UCA & hardware without the bracket.

Thanks for the feedback. :wink:
And the best part, rock solid no noise control of the rear differential housing that will last a lifetime. :BANANA:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve