It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 Liberty CRD Positive Crankcase Ventilation
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Howdy All,
I am new to the diesel world and was shocked to find my CRD crankcase venting to the atmosphere - old school style. My grandpa used to do this to his Dodge Aspen because he hated emissions controls and such. I was teaching my teen daughter to drive and noticed a bit of smoke coming from under the Jeep. I immediately suspected oil leak onto the exhaust manifold but after an examination, I discovered a bit of hose attached to the valve cover where the PCV should be and then snaking down to the bottom of the engine bay and venting there.
I searched for an attachment point on the intake manifold for the PCV hose to attach but found none. Can anyone clear this up for me? ...and at 150K miles should I have a noticeable amount of cylinder blow-by?

Shannon sends::
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD 4wd w/150k miles - purchased a month ago for $4500

Just tying to keep it on the road

Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty CRD Positive Crankcase Ventilation
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:36 pm 

SmashOgre wrote:
Howdy All,
I am new to the diesel world and was shocked to find my CRD crankcase venting to the atmosphere - old school style. My grandpa used to do this to his Dodge Aspen because he hated emissions controls and such. I was teaching my teen daughter to drive and noticed a bit of smoke coming from under the Jeep. I immediately suspected oil leak onto the exhaust manifold but after an examination, I discovered a bit of hose attached to the valve cover where the PCV should be and then snaking down to the bottom of the engine bay and venting there.
I searched for an attachment point on the intake manifold for the PCV hose to attach but found none. Can anyone clear this up for me? ...and at 150K miles should I have a noticeable amount of cylinder blow-by?
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD 4wd w/150k miles - purchased a month ago for $4500

Read this thread, it will enlighten you.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80491

Most install a ProVent CCV filter to catch and filter the oil vapors coming from the engine. The vacuum pump on this engine discharges into the crankcase which adds additional flow and load to the CCV system.
viewtopic.php?p=847778#p847778

The CCV on top of the valve cover is not a PCV valve as the diesel engine does not have vacuum in the intake like a gas engine.
The CCV puck as it is called, needs to be connected to a port that is provided in the factory rubber intake boot between the air filter housing and turbo inlet.
The CCV puck on this engine requires the negative (suction) pressure provided by the suction of the turbo to function properly. Without this suction, crankcase positive pressures can build up within the engines crankcase and cause issues like oil seals leaking etc...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
SmashOgre wrote:
Howdy All,

The proper final place for the CCV gasses is in the intake hose that connects the filter to the Turbo intake. This, over time, results in the rubber turbo intake hose softening, and failing. This results in unfiltered air entering the intake system through the turbo (Bad Thing) and periodic replacement of that part.
Sasquatch has made available this part made of Silicone, which should be a lifetime part. https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... y-28l-crd/

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I discovered everything mentioned above is true. Yes, my crankcase is venting outside as the previous owner bypassed it and yes, the inlet hose to the turbo is broken at the turbo where the crankcase vent hose should connect as mentioned in the above post. Dang, I’ve been running on unfiltered air for who knows how long. As far as I know, my turbo still work but I will be ordering a new silicone inlet hose ASAP.

Just tying to keep it on the road

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:14 pm 

SmashOgre wrote:
So I discovered everything mentioned above is true. Yes, my crankcase is venting outside as the previous owner bypassed it and yes, the inlet hose to the turbo is broken at the turbo where the crankcase vent hose should connect as mentioned in the above post. Dang, I’ve been running on unfiltered air for who knows how long. As far as I know, my turbo still work but I will be ordering a new silicone inlet hose ASAP.

Please consider installing the wonderful ProVent coalescing filter if you want to keep the oil out of turbo inlet hose, boost hoses, and from contaminating the internals of the CAC (intercooler) and collecting in the bottom of it.
I only have to drain it and clean the filter at every oil change now and I only get about 2 or 3 ounces of oil out of it.

SasquatchParts.com now has a great kit with everything you need to install one....and he has a sale going on right now.
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/vehicle ... vent-kits/

My ProVent install:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.