It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Front diff D30a locker/LSD?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Interesting side note: the ox locker electrical activator version includes wiring and a simple blue 3 pin 20a carling switch to mount in the dash. It has an incandescent bulb and the reason for that is because the polarity can be reversed unlike the LED versions which will burn out the LED bulbs. That's important because ox wired the plug/wiring harness so the electronic locker activator always has 12v and the switch creates a circuit by switching the ground. Also, the bulb gets illuminated by feedback 12v from the activator. Didn't expect that because normally the switched pin on a rocker switch is the 12v power, but in this case it's the ground - so you put the power where the ground normally goes and the ground where the power normally goes. Advantages is that the switch doesn't carry the 12v amp load to energize the electronic locker activator (can't be that much, it came with a 10a fuse) and it doesn't introduce a 'hot' wire in the cabin. Bad side is that you have to order a 5 pin incandescent (not LED) switch in order to get an oem-like dimmed illuminated switch that isn't obnoxious.

I had planned to create in-series power switches in order to prevent accidental activation during driving... like say doing 55mph on the freeway during a snow storm: a 'power' rocker switch and then the 'activation' switch both running off 12v as the switched source. But, the reversed polarity won't work with the LED green switches I bought in anticipation of this project. So... I'm going to use 5 pin 20a incandescent rocker switches: first one as a 12v power switch and the other as the ground switch. On the power side, I'm going to run a 4 pin 30a 12v relay as the main switch and the dash switch as the activator for the relay (like headlights, etc.). Then I'll wire up the ground switch according to OX, save for the addition of a ignition switched power (from headlights or the such) to make it looks almost oem.

As a location for the two switches, I chose the little removable trim piece on the left side of the dash near the steering wheel - it just fits 2 carling switches horizontally. Does require a little cutting behind the trim in the dash, but not major and has the benefit of being close to the fuse panel and remains removable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Threw my voltmeter on the multi-switch stalk and found, to my surprise, that the top left (from drivers seat) orange with red stripe wire carries modulated voltage (between 0.8v to 4.8v) tied to the dimmer switch. BUT it's also tied to the interior lights. So when the door opens and interior lights go on, that light will stay on for a few seconds and then time out. Actually every time you adjust the dimmer switch, it powers up and then goes into a timer mode, UNLESS the headlights are switched on (or, probably, locked with remote). Which all means, I found the wire for constant dimmed 12v power but not dimmed AND switched power 12v power. This dimmed power will go to my independent switch light - when lights are on, dimmed light to match dash (hopefully). Bad side is that every time I open the door they will also slightly illuminate. Better to find the dimmed power from behind the instrument panel but that is a pain - after looking at the diagrams, I think it's a orange with brown stripe wire but not confirmed.

For switched 12v power, I added a circuit on the fuse 32 (radio) 10a circuit. This switched constant 12v will go to my dependent switch light - when ignition is turned to "on" or start, my switch (when toggled) will fully illuminate.

Jut so everyone knows how to wire up new switches for future use.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Detroit True Trac for the D30a
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all, thought I’d update everyone on the ox locker: works wonderfully. I haven’t needed to use much, but every once in a while I engage the rear locker to make sure it works. Any questions about it, shoot me a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk