It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Temperature drops when idle
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All, I purchased my 06 CRD back in March, fixed all the mechanical issues but i have one left that's driving me bonkers. When i first bought the Jeep, i noticed it would not get to temperature either idling or driving, so i changed the thermostat. I took it for a spin and it seemed to have done the trick. But now sometimes when i stop at a drive thru or even let go of the pedal going down hill, the temp needle goes down. I hooked it to OBD for real time reading and when warmed up driving, the needle is just before halfway mark 78C (172F), but when i stop and idle it drops to 66C (150F), thinking it might be the T-stat sensor, i replaced it but with no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Temperature drops when idle
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:13 pm 

xsfpns wrote:
Hi All, I purchased my 06 CRD back in March, fixed all the mechanical issues but i have one left that's driving me bonkers. When i first bought the Jeep, i noticed it would not get to temperature either idling or driving, so i changed the thermostat. I took it for a spin and it seemed to have done the trick. But now sometimes when i stop at a drive thru or even let go of the pedal going down hill, the temp needle goes down. I hooked it to OBD for real time reading and when warmed up driving, the needle is just before halfway mark 78C (172F), but when i stop and idle it drops to 66C (150F), thinking it might be the T-stat sensor, i replaced it but with no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

What kind of thermostat did you install? I would still suspect it is not operating properly and holding setpoint.
If you installed one of the made in China ones, they are notorious for being bad even right out of the box.
There is really only two decent options for the Jeep CRD, one is the OEM Mopar thermostat, the other is the HDS thermostat by Jeff Bauer. Both are pricey but they work and work properly.
Everything else is junk! On these vehicles which are unique, when the thermostat fails, it fails to a open position and will not hold proper normal engine coolant temperature.
See this;
viewtopic.php?p=905589#p905589

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the response vwdiesel. The tstat I installed was the stant one from Rock Auto. Rock Auto usually has decent parts.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:30 am 

xsfpns wrote:
Thanks for the response vwdiesel. The tstat I installed was the stant one from Rock Auto. Rock Auto usually has decent parts.

Unfortunately it appears you got a defective one! :(

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just my luck lol. Looks like i have bigger issues now. I am getting a lot of coolant coming back in the overflow which is giving me the low coolant light. Argh! this jeep is getting to be just as bad as those ford 6 liters.