It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission swap question 2005 4x4
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have learned that there are two flavors of the 42RLE automatic transmission in the 2005 model. The early on that i have - called the 3-wire (DG6), and the later 4-wire (DGV). I need to replace mine and have found that the later ones are cheaper and easier to get. But, can a later one be reasonably transplanted into the same car? Are the harnesses similar enough and are the lines all close enough? How about the trans computer?

Post subject: Re: Transmission swap question 2005 4x4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

My ‘05 also has the three-wire model. I bought a used trans on eBay from an indoor recycling yard in Michigan - it had lower miles than mine and had a small warranty - and they shipped it via freight on a half pallet to my work address (we have a forklift and it lowered the cost). I installed it myself in my back yard with 79,004 miles on the Liberty. It now has almost 140,000 miles on it and I haven’t had one second of trouble (knock on wood), except for stupidly replacing the input and output sensors with non-Mopar parts. As soon as I put Mopar sensors in, the trans exited limp mode and has been perfect since.

Everything I found said it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to adapt a four-wire trans to a three-wire vehicle. So I didn’t even attempt it. Any savings in buying the other type would be lost in cost and time to retrofit.