It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New owner here, diesel 05
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:18 pm 
LOST Member

Hey finally got one! Kinda wanted one for years dunno why I waited so long. I guess probably because I struggle with driving automatics but I’m getting older and maybe I can finally quit shifting. We will see. But I’m stoked to dive into the mods on this cute little smoker! I have some questions.

I see people are tuning them diy here, that’s neat I’ll probably try my hand at it after I get through the long thread about it. However, my experience with diesels is that most of them benefit from a hotter coolant temp. Is it okay to get hotter coolant and still run the hotter tunes? Is there a preferred thermostat?

Is the suncoast Tc the best way to go for an upgrade on the trans? I like an auto that shifts firmly, I used to have an old truck with a 3sp th400 and when it shifted it was like BAM and quick. It was the least annoying slushbox trans I’ve had probably. So what can I do to make this one shift a little more like that? Not looking for harsh but quick and firm. I’ll probably spring for a TC once I start turning up the power. I see a shift kit is also offered for them.

Car only came with one remote key fob. How to get another one?

How best to disable EGR?

How best to disable PCV?

My fuel filter heater has been unplugged, so no fire risk anymore. Don’t need heating here in the pnw anyway.

I hear that they get air bubbles because of the negative pressure fuel supply system. What’s the hot upgrade to cure that? Lift pump in tank or nearby?

I have to say I’m surprised at how maligned these rigs are among off road and generally everyone and I am left scratching my head? This truck is 15 years old, and everything works, it’s in excellent shape and the paint is perfect. I have seen many many cars younger in age that seem lesser quality. Knock on wood but these seem quite well made to me. Maybe i don’t suffer from small penis dysmorphia about cars that are not “manly” because I dunno, I like a small, capable little 4wd. I’ve had two Suzuki and they are the laughing stock of all my friends, one was even purple, but they served me very well for many years. Tough enough and quite nimble in the woods. So if this Jeep can do all that and get better mpg and towing power too, then ill gladly be the butt of the jokes!

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

Post subject: Re: New owner here, diesel 05
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hi Jett & welcome!!
There is a 6 spd manual but export only. Bad luck! LOL
While I dont consider myself an expert on these, I would suggest you get maintenance up to date first. There are a few things critical to a good run with the CRD.
What previous work has been done?
What mileage is on the clock?
Does the trans shift good & does it suffer from a judder while towing or under power when the TC is locked up?
Is a timing belt change due?
I would hang off tunes etc until you have the engine as bullet proof as possible ~ valves & studs.
A thermostat upgrade is out there. not as simple as we would hope.
Have fun with your new toy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:05 pm 
LOST Member

Has 106k onit. Timing belt just done. Cat gutted and muffler replaced. intermittent low boost code and 401 and 299 codes. Checking lines on that stuff now. How hard should it be to move the turbo actuator linkage?

So they made a manual here and sent them all out of country? What the hell. What possible excuse do they have to limit us on that option? Man I’ll never understand the auto market.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

If the actuator is disconnected it should be easy to move the arm. Maybe too many short trips with the engine cold has caused a carbon build up. A good hour long "Italian tune" may help if there are no underlying other issues. Just find a long up hill grade on the highway so the turbo gets nice & warm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:49 am 
LOST Member

layback40 wrote:
If the actuator is disconnected it should be easy to move the arm. Maybe too many short trips with the engine cold has caused a carbon build up. A good hour long "Italian tune" may help if there are no underlying other issues. Just find a long up hill grade on the highway so the turbo gets nice & warm.

Turbo linkage feels tightly sprung but not seized. According to my car obd app it only makes 19psi, but it says that it’s making 157hp too so that seems about right doesn’t it? I think the egr is frozen closed, will delete the code and eventually clean it all out block it and bypass the coolant.

GDE quit offering tunes permanently, would anyone be willing to send me a “very close resemblance” of their tune? I am an amateur tuner but this seems quite a bit more involved than fueling I’ve done before.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:20 am 

Jett wrote:
GDE quit offering tunes permanently, would anyone be willing to send me a “very close resemblance” of their tune? I am an amateur tuner but this seems quite a bit more involved than fueling I’ve done before.

See the DIY tunes thread, downloads available if you know your software version.
DIY ECU Flash

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:10 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Jett wrote:

See the DIY tunes thread, downloads available if you know your software version.
DIY ECU Flash

Yes I’m balls-deep on that thread but it’s a tough read and I’m only about 1/3 the way in so far. I’m just weary to brick my ecu with a stupid mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:59 pm 

Jett wrote:
Yes I’m balls-deep on that thread but it’s a tough read and I’m only about 1/3 the way in so far. I’m just weary to brick my ecu with a stupid mistake.

If your software version is one of the ones already listed you can simply download the correct file and use a MPPS cable designed for tuning and reflash your your ECM.
Instructions are given in the DIY thread.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve