It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof cross bars suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:38 pm 
LOST Member

Need some that are strong and useful. Prefer a good fit, they will be installed and never removed.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

Post subject: Re: Roof cross bars suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:08 pm 
LOST Member

I have been using a Thule system but Yakama makes a good one also. If you will be placing heavy items up there you may consider buying Rocky Road Outfitters STEEL ROOF RAILS to replace the Jeep OE rails. The RR steel rails bolt right on and will carry 250lbs and more. They also reinforce the roof should you ever roll over. They come powder coated and I like mine.

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:17 pm 

Liberty for All wrote:
If you will be placing heavy items up there you may consider buying Rocky Road Outfitters STEEL ROOF RAILS to replace the Jeep OE rails. The RR steel rails bolt right on and will carry 250lbs and more.

Seconded.

Quote:
They also reinforce the roof should you ever roll over. They come powder coated and I like mine.

Be careful about that description - RRO doesn't decribe them as suitable for any sort of exo cage / rollbar / reinforcement use, and with good reason. Heavier-duty roof rails, yes, but rollover protection they are not.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:34 am 
LOST Member

I ended up welding a one piece aluminum rack and extended the rails a few inches too. The front cross bar bisects the sunroof but that’s okay with me.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:36 am 
LOST Newbie

Here's a budget solution. Good quality and fit, right price, and rugged enough to carry a couple 100#s of lumber. I like the crossrails extending past the longitudinal rails for ease of tying.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roof-Rack-Cros ... 2749.l2649
Perfect for occasional use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:17 pm 
LOST Member

I do not keep my cross rails on full time. I have had a pair of Thule rails and like the quality.

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.