It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Difficult to find clapping noise in slow speeds
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just want to share a somewhat difficult to identify noise issue / failure.

I drove about 1000 km listening to a kind of sharp clunking noise or claps/flaps every now and then especially when slowing down to crossings etc. with my Cherokee/Liberty CRD 2.8 2006. I could only hear it in slow speeds and naturally better when window open. It was a kind of repeating sound like somebody was clapping hands loudly, and came from underneath the car. The frequency of the flaps was kind of matching to wheel rotation, but was not totally regular. I couldn't locate it to any corner of the car either. I thought it was something stuck inside a wheel or in the power train like a branch stuck in prop shaft, that only made the sound in slow speeds. I even took it to a garage to look under, but there was nothing visibly wrong.

After visiting the service, I started testing different things while driving and then when pulling the parking brake, it became more than obvious where the noise came from. So opened the brakes, and the brake belts had separated from the brake shoes on both sides. I think that the loose bands had rotated along the brake drum in slow speeds, and the claps were due to ends of the bands hitting the brake shoe ends.

No typical squeaking sounds, no cracks or other faults in drums (other than old and worn), all brake shoe fittings and springs in place., just the belts loose.

Seems that someone else have experienced the same thing with a bit different symptoms: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/clunking-rubbing-noise-from-rear-pass-side.56698/