It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tires... 245 vs 225 vs 235
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:14 am 
LOST Newbie

I have new stock height suspension and I have been running 245/70-16 tires with no problem.

I can no longer get these same tires so I have started early looking at options for when it is time to replace. Mine came stock with the 225/75-16. I am seeing more tire options if I look at 225, 235 and 245. Not quite as many options if I look at only one size.

I know the 245/70 is the tallest and widest.
I know the 225/75 is second tallest and skinniest.
I know the 235/70 is shortest and second widest.

29 to 29.5 tall... 8.9 to 9.6 wide... not a lot of difference really.

I personally don't really care that much about the difference in the look of the tire sizes. These are going to be all terrain or small chance mud terrain. I use it like a 4wd cargo van. I drive a lot on pavement to get to the job sites. But often have to use 4x4 to get there. And probably once a week I have to go somewhere bad enough I shift to 4 low. So I am more concerned about decent off road tread pattern and also tread life than sizing. A little bit of height or width is really not going to make any difference in rather or not I can get where I need to go or not.

In general when comparing these sizes, is there any merit to one size lasting longer than another?

Or is this really pointless also because the cents per mile is going to work out about the same? I'm at 211k right now and I'm running my 8th set of tires. They all have worn down nice and smooth except one set where I destroyed them in an accident. So they got ended early. I don't know if it is just that I am always hauling weight? Or if it is all the curvy paved roads here, high summer heat, and gravel resurfaced pavement they do around here either to save money or add winter grip. I see these guys with trucks posting about how they got 50-65-70k out of a set of tires and I'm like I wish. I keep thinking these guys must mostly be running down the interstate in a straight line on smooth blacktop empty?

Post subject: Re: Tires... 245 vs 225 vs 235
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:52 pm 
LOST Member

I prefer the 245/70/16 as they fill the wells better and look better and are wider so they offer more traction

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Tires... 245 vs 225 vs 235
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I’m running 235/75 in the cooper at3 4s and they’ve been wonderful do it all tires. They don’t stick that well on ice but otherwise great. The extra 1/2” you’ll gain with the 75 series doesn’t affect gearing too much but is good for off-road. Highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk