It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Least expensive way to get an OX in the front (dana 30 ifs?)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Based on a post here on lost (I'll link it later), I bought the dana30 OX integrated air for the front dif. Well, that post is wrong, and it doesn't fit. I was in a rush and had the local shop install it, so I'm out a $300+ install and have an $1100 locker that is now used...
Anyhow, I read that there is a dana 30 IFS version??? If so, how much fabrication is involved in making it fit the KJ? I'm not really interested in ARB's as my rear integrated-air OX is amazing.
Short of me finding a used JBA steel dif, I'm out a lot of cash.
I know many will say go SFA, but I'd go JKU with 35's before I'd spend another fortune on my KJ, unless the dana SFA version would only be a front end, $3-5k ordeal.

I appreciate any advice!
Be careful what you read...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: Least expensive way to get an OX in the front (dana 30 i
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Here's the thread that mislead me. I've PM'd parker fabrication to no avail. Maybe he'll sell me his front jba dif to make this right.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83716

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

The only front diff locker that I believe works for the d30a is an elocker from Eaton, but I think they stopped making it. IMO you’re better off going with a lsd in the front and a locker in back. I think that’s about as much as you can reasonably do on the kJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:52 pm 

I believe it has been recommended by several members on LOST not to install a "Locker" in the 30A differential due to the weakness of the case in the pinion bearing area.
Limited slip seems to the differential of choice.... :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:57 pm 
LOST Addict

For those who don't peruse the CRD forum, I installed an Eaton Elocker in the front of my KJ over the summer. I'm not a rock crawler, I mainly need it for mud and snow - and it's been great for that so far. So I keep it in the back of my mind that it's an aluminum diff and to go easy on the skinny pedal when it's locked in. I only use it in the modes where the center diff is locked (4PT and 4LO) so that the front axle is not getting the full engine torque.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:57 am 
LOST Newbie

What do you have out back?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:07 am 
LOST Addict

Detroit Truetrac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:57 am 
LOST Newbie

Why not install another truetrac up front?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:29 pm 
LOST Addict

I ended up with an ARB up front, they do fit, but gotta be careful. The DTT is a safer bet and much less$$

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:47 pm 
LOST Addict

mercdude wrote:
Why not install another truetrac up front?

More traction :D

Also I use 4WD FT a lot on snowy roads and wanted the front diff to be fully open, thinking that it would result in less funny handling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well. I had the same exact thought about funny driving in the snow with FT engaged, except I was concerned about the rear. Even with the trac lok and triple peak AT tires I could easily go sideways with light throttle on snow/ice. That's knarly and scary.

So I went LSD up front. Here's my thought: with FT engaged at worst it'll be like a LSD front wheel drive, which is better in the snow than a rear wheel drive. I've found that front traction in slippery situations is more important than rear traction. Better yet is even traction, but I failed to foresee that I should have done a TT all the way round.

Evidence: last year, went up a 20% incline on pavement with ice. Starting 2HI with my new Cooper discovery tires, got about 100' then lost grip and slipped down road. Hit brakes and came to stop. With a fresh rear OX locker I was confident this would solve the problem and I engaged it but only went sideways, not up the hill. Disengaged rear locker. Now frustrated with the lack of progress and embarrassed that my $2k mod wasn't panning out so well, I resorted to engaging PT 4HI. I went up that hill for 1/2 mile like it was nothing. Lesson learned.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds like you have a nice setup. There are definitely situations that would favor one or the other. We basically have opposite traction adders in our F/R axles. It would be fun to meet up somewhere that we could compare the performance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:44 am 
LOST Newbie

CATCRD wrote:
Sounds like you have a nice setup. There are definitely situations that would favor one or the other. We basically have opposite traction adders in our F/R axles. It would be fun to meet up somewhere that we could compare the performance.
How do you use the locker/lsd combo? What situation have you found it works best? And what equipment do you have?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:08 am 
LOST Addict

I haven't done a lot of experimentation in very many situations, I pretty much just flip on the front elocker a bit before the snowy or muddy patches. Sometimes I'll add some additional parking brake on the way up to bias the rear truetrac a little more. I do find that I need to disengage the front when descending anything slippery, either in forward or reverse, or it doesn't really go where I point it.