It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suspension noises = upgrade time?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:54 am 
LOST Member

The creaking/groaning went from a “hmm, need to look into that” annoyance to a “dang, the front end is coming apart!” like overnight. Squirting some silicon on the sway bar bushings made a huge difference so after some surfing I ordered Moog bushings and replaced everything on the sway bar which helped a lot. But still have some squeaking over bumps and when turning.

While investigating, I noticed my lower & upper ball joint boots were MIA so I assume that’s some of the remaining noise. I’m getting about 0.048mm of up & down play with no noticeable side play but my plan is to replace with Moog greaseable BJs.

My question is what about the bushings connecting the lower a-arm to the chassis? Am I money ahead to just go ahead and replace both upper & lower arms with new units from like IDParts or Sasquatch or is there another suggested upgrade?

Currently there is no lift but I’d like a mild one in the future if that factors into the equation. I was saving up some bucks for the Bilstein B8 5100 set but looks like that will go toward a-arms now…

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

Post subject: Re: Suspension noises = upgrade time?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:11 pm 

A few thoughts:
The upper control arm ball joint is not serviceable, you have to purchase the whole A Arm and it comes with both new bushings.
Left & right upper control arms are the same, so one part number fits both sides
Left & right LOWER control arms are different, so there are different part numbers for left and right sides
FYI, TRW suppled the OEM A arms. TRW & Moog are both good parts, do not buy Crown parts, they are junk.
AutoZone lists the upper TRW A arms: TRW Control Arm JTC1585

Moog is another good replacement option, RockAuto has a good selection of control arms and ball joints with reasonable prices.
Amazon and Summit Racing also lists some of the parts, so there are plenty of vendors selling good parts.
NAPA is another good place to check.
Unfortunately, IDParts only list Crown lower control arms, don't buy them, they don't last.

Front Upper Control Arm (same part number, left and right)
MOOG Part # CK3198
TRW JTC1585
Autozone: CA8597

Front Lower Control Arm Parts: (Ball joint and bushings can be replaced separately on the lower arms)
MOOG - Control Arm Left Lower (Part No. RK641558) [driver side]
MOOG - Control Arm Right Lower (Part No. RK641559) [passenger side]
Front Lower Ball Joint – Moog K80767 (replacement has grease fitting)
Mopar Ball Joints- 5114037AJ / Set CBXEF230

Quote:
HINT: A little trick when replacing control arms; always leave bushing ends slightly loose until you have the full weight of the vehicle on the control arms so they are setting at their normal at rest position. Then tighten the bushing end mounting bolts to specified torque.
If you tighten the bushing end bolts with the arms at full droop while setting on jack stands or on a lift; when you place the vehicle on the ground, it places the rubber bushings in tension at all times in their normal at rest position.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:57 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for pointing out that IDPart's was a Crown, WW. I hadn't noticed that yet. RockAuto has Moog cheaper than even those right now.

Guess I'll just go with Moog uppers & lowers plus their lower ball joints since I already have the "blue" theme going on anyway with the sway bar bushings. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't limiting my search if there was improved options out there.

BTW, thanks for the "hint", good to know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:19 pm 

krb wrote:
Thanks for pointing out that IDPart's was a Crown, WW. I hadn't noticed that yet. RockAuto has Moog cheaper than even those right now.
Guess I'll just go with Moog uppers & lowers plus their lower ball joints since I already have the "blue" theme going on anyway with the sway bar bushings. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't limiting my search if there was improved options out there.
BTW, thanks for the "hint", good to know.

Nothing wrong with Moog, that is what is on my front uppers right now. :wink:
On the Moog lower ball joint, don't forget to point the grease fitting in a direction you can get at for greasing when pressing in the new ball joint. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:28 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
...On the Moog lower ball joint, don't forget to point the grease fitting in a direction you can get at for greasing when pressing in the new ball joint. :D

Ha ha, good point. I'm a little more sensitive to that now since I replaced the front axle u-joints on my W250 Cummins. The passenger side zerk ended up on the wheel end... I have to turn the wheel just right to grease it. Bugs me so much (and pisses me off for not being more attentive) that I plan to take it all apart again...