It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine catastrophic faillure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Greetings to you all!
Please help me with some advice regarding this situation: my engine blew while driving on the highway at 110kmh. Had the car for 6 months - my first car. Shortly after I bought it I went and changed the timming belt, distribution, all filters, all oils and fluids... The car ran perfectly for 4000km until the incident.
After I brought the car home I washed the underside and found inside the shield pieces from inside the cylinder and the engine block. Pretty sure one piston blew away trough the engine block. I know for sure that I need another engine, but:
1. I still want to go for and assist to an evaluation of the cause of the faillure, so...
2. What should I be aware/look for to not get fooled? Could it be just material faillure? Could it be poor workmanship?- the guys at the shop claimed the timming belt was incorrectly mounted and that they did it by the book.
Thank you.
Marius from Romania
2004 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD automatic transmission

Post subject: Re: Engine catastrophic faillure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have one here (2007) with the same problem.
An exhaust valve breaks, piston breaks and a piece of piston gets caught between the big end (rod ) bearing and the side of the block & punches a hole in the block. Likely you will have a damaged liner as well.
It also had a dealer timing belt change a few 1,000km before failure. You could check the timing with the dowel tools, basically 3 wire rods. You rotate the engine until you are able to insert them in the cam locations and the flywheel location.
Was the water pump replaced at the same time as the belt? If not, it may have failed and caused the problem.
It could also just be a valve failure as they sometimes fail after about 300,000km.
If you have the block pieces you maybe able to have it welded back together, probably a replacement head, injector, glow plug, liner, piston & rod is what you will need.
If you replace the engine, best replace the valves, water pump and timing belt before installing it.