It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine swapped now only stays in first gear.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:33 am 
LOST Newbie

The trans was working before the engine swap. Reinstalled and it goes into reverse and Drive but only stays in first gear. Was there a step I missed when reinstalling?

**there’s a backstory to this. I took it to a shade tree mechanic for new head gaskets. He pulled the engine and upon reinstalling my guess is timing chain was off and it bent valves and dinged pistons. He pulled engine again and was apart, I was pissed and just hauled my Libby back with boxes of parts. I just bought a engine from a salvage yard reinstalled and here we are.

I’m about to take it into a transmission shop. I’m hoping a reader will have a straight forward solution.

(Wonder if the computer is still reading the timing is off from the old engine?)

04 Liberty 3.7 , 290k miles, original trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Engine swapped now only stays in first gear.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:40 am 
LOST Newbie

UPDATE

I took it to the shop and their diagnosis is that it needs a new Transmission Control Module. (Apparently the TCM is part of the PCM and not separate)

I’ve swapped this engine before a there were zero issues with transmission and it ran fine.

Any thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Engine swapped now only stays in first gear.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:21 pm 

FYI:
The TCM is a separate stand alone module and has no security related to VIN, SKIM, or any others as does the ECM.
You can swap in a TCM from any like doner vehicle. It should be from another 05 or 06 diesel powered Jeep Liberty to get the correct shift points matched to the high torque diesel engine. :D
If you can find a used module with any one of the part numbers listed below in the picture, it will fit and function (Plug & Play) in your Jeep Liberty diesel powered vehicle. :wink:
The TCM module location: bolted to the inner fender on the passenger's side of the vehicle behind the turbo vacuum controls; see second picture below. It is very easy to swap it out with another unit.

See this:
Quote:
TCM FITMENT
The TCM, it has no security paring to the vehicle, any TCM for the Jeep Liberty diesel will plug and play. Many TCM's used in gas model Jeeps and Dodge with the 545RFE transmission will actually plug & play in the Jeep Liberty, but you must be very careful of potential engine overrevving issues beyond redline due to their programing designed for gas engines.
Some have installed TCM's from Dodge or Jeep trucks but you have to be really careful as TCM's programed for gas powered vehicles have much higher shift points values vs diesel powered vehicles and can allow the engine's RPMs to rev way beyond its red line when downshifting at higher speeds.

TCM MODULE LOCATION:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount