It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crunchy noise
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a crunchy noise when starting off from a stop going straight and when turning left but never when turning right. 2002 liberty sport, auto with the command Trac 4x4. Nose feels like under the driver seat so I suspect transfer case. Pulled rear diff cover and axles and wheel bearings are good and nothing loose in the diff, driveline u-joints are good, front cv driveline is tight and output of tcase and trans seem tight and turn easy. Raised front and turned tires and they are smooth, no play in BJ's, no movement in front axles. Does not happen everytime I start off either. Could it be LS noise? Haven't heard that sound before and had the Jeep since 2005.
Anyone have thoughts on what to check? Sound is until about 5mph then goes away. This just started in August after I had it in 4x4 and driving on gravel road for a short time, couple miles, not doing any rock crawling out jumping etc. Have used 4x4 since and it works fine.

Maybe the rear diff needs a rebuild? New LS clutch discs?
Appreciate any input or help.

Post subject: Re: Crunchy noise
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:05 pm 

The LS clutches only come into play when your are making turns, so if it makes the noise going straight, you can pretty much rule them out.
When LS clutches makes noises, it generally is a popping or chattering sound as the clutches engage and disengage as they slip against each other.
They make additives that you can add to the rear differential to quiet the clutch chatter when turning.

Is your noise coming from the front or from the rear of the vehicle or can you tell?
It could be a U-joint noise or one of the front driveshaft CV Joints or axle CV Joints or even one of the front wheel bearings.

Place the vehicle up on a rack/vehicle lift and spin the wheels and see if you can duplicate the noise and pinpoint where it is coming from with a mechanics stethoscope.
You can pick up a cheap mechanics stethoscope at most parts stores or order one online.

Good luck and let us know if you find where the noise is coming from! :POPCORN:

OEMTOOLS Mechanic's Stethoscope 2 Piece:
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and- ... /70131_0_0

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
The LS clutches only come into play when your are making turns, so if it makes the noise going straight, you can pretty much rule them out.
When LS clutches makes noises, it generally is a popping or chattering sound as the clutches engage and disengage as they slip against each other.
They make additives that you can add to the rear differential to quiet the clutch chatter when turning.

Is your noise coming from the front or from the rear of the vehicle or can you tell?
It could be a U-joint noise or one of the front driveshaft CV Joints or axle CV Joints or even one of the front wheel bearings.

Place the vehicle up on a rack/vehicle lift and spin the wheels and see if you can duplicate the noise and pinpoint where it is coming from with a mechanics stethoscope.
You can pick up a cheap mechanics stethoscope at most parts stores or order one online.

Good luck and let us know if you find where the noise is coming from! :POPCORN:

OEMTOOLS Mechanic's Stethoscope 2 Piece:
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and- ... /70131_0_0

I had the front jacked up and turned the front wheels with no noise or rough feeling, no looseness in the front wheel movement. Springs and shocks are all tight and fastened. Had rear wheels off the ground as well and started it and ran in gear, no noise or vibration. Rear driveline u joints are good and front dl had no looseness or movement either. Noise seems to be under driver's seat area but I know how that stuff can travel through drivetrain and appear to be from somewhere else. Doesn't do it in reverse.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:19 am 
LOST Member

You can do about a dozen slow "figure-8"s in an empty parking lot and that's supposed to get everything loose and moved around in the trac-lok differential. I think I read that in the fsm. I remember doing it a couple times and it must have worked or not mattered. I think my noise happened while backing up cold. Might have been u-joints on mine.