It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The sound an Elephant makes = My jeep makes that sound !
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

2004 jeep liberty sport 3.7 automatic
Approx 138,000 miles

Makes a loud sound when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. That’s the only time. Sounds like an elephant lol that’s the only way I know how to describe it. Here’s a link to the sound on Google drive cause I couldn’t upload it on here for some reason:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b-w6BS ... p=drivesdk

Before the elephant noise
A month ago I was backing up out of a driveway and I heard a loud noise from the front that kind of sounded like 4wd was loudly engaging (even though it was not in 4wd and I was not attempting to put it in 4wd), I drove it a minute down the road and the noise stopped. I noticed there was grease coming out of the Joints by tire of drivers side, but not on passenger . Few days passed and I could hear I guess what I would call a faint noise when it would shift from 1st to 2nd but more just that I could tell that it was not the same as it was before. And then the squealch/elephant sound came about and is still
There.

**I changed transmission fluid/filter just the other day and there was alot of metal shavings in the pan. The elephant noise is still there . Lost 1st gear completely then I added more Lucas stop slip and 1st gear is back, and elephant noise is still there as well. Code p0137 I’ve had off and on for awhile now before any of this, but now new codes are P0700, p0732, p0846. And then pO420 was the other day but now is gone.

Any help would be appreciated ! Because I have no clue at this point if I messed my transmission up or if it’s even worth figuring out.