It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Napa cv axle bad after bad after 3 months. Best replacement?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:36 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello People:

At beginning of Nov 2023 replaced my driver CV axle. Good on paved road, but clunked and clanked over rocks on trails.

Installed a rebuild Napa CV axle, as it has good reviews and is correct length.

Everything was good after install. Most of front end had been rebuild, including passenger side CV axle.

No clunking on trails, was very happy. :)
Put few hundred trail miles and around 1,000 highway miles over the holidays.
Had not been on trails since December, just street use.
Slowly noticed clunking noise coming back when going over pavement street ruts.
Today took Jeep on trail....the clunking on driver's side is back full force.
Less than 4 months and less than 2,500 miles and Napa driver's side is bad.
Napa passenger side still good.

Really bummed need to replace driver's side again.
Wondering if I just got a bad NAPA rebuild and should give NAPA another try...
or try to change to another higher quality brand...if one exists.
Please let me know if you think I should stick with NAPA or try something else, like Detroit axle, Cardone, or other brand
Do not want to be doing this again anytime soon.

Post subject: Re: Napa cv axle bad after bad after 3 months. Best replacem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:32 am 
LOST Member

Thats strange, usually the Napa remanufactured ones are good. I've had a good luck with them for both on/off road. It could be that they remanufactured a cheap axle since the CRD axle and he 2.5L gasser axles are not that common compared to the 3.7L gasser axles when people turn in their cores.

With that said, I'm giving trakmotive heavy duty extended travel CV axles a try now. Not because i didn't like the Napa ones, just wanted to see how these hold up. Reports of the trakmotive ones are all over but they have a lifetime warranty and so far have been good for me after about 5K miles.

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

Last edited by 03black on Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:15 pm 

03black wrote:
With that said, I'm giving track motive heavy duty extended travel CV axles a try now. Not because i didn't like the Napa ones, just wanted to see how these hold up. Reports of the track motive ones are all over but they have a lifetime warranty and so far have been good for me after about 5K miles.

How does their prices compare to others? Their web page does not list

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:26 pm 
LOST Addict

How even is your front to rear tire wear? I've beat on these cv's ridiculously hard and only ever had a problem when I moved to a mountainside where the gravel road ate the rear tires much faster than I expected. I discovered it with a loud pop in 4wd. Lost a set of BFG tko2's due to that, ouch! But, the cv still survived!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:04 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
03black wrote:
With that said, I'm giving trakmotive heavy duty extended travel CV axles a try now. Not because i didn't like the Napa ones, just wanted to see how these hold up. Reports of the track motive ones are all over but they have a lifetime warranty and so far have been good for me after about 5K miles.

How does their prices compare to others? Their web page does not list

I thought the prices were not that bad. You can find them on rockauto and other online auto parts warehouses has them listed ~ $120 for both sides compared to ~$50 for the normal ones.

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just checked NAPA website for my Jeep, 2006 CRD. No rebuilds listed, only new. Need driver's side. One listed for $118 standard and another listed for $322 for extended travel.
Also checked rockauto and partsgeek. Trakmotive regular are around $50 and extended range around $120.
Have factory lift. Tires are good with even wear, rotate per maintenance schedule. Have also checked lift, right and left are within 1/3rd inch of each other. So that is good.
Passenger side is also Napa rebuild, standard length, has few more months on it and no issues.
As passenger side is standard, have to stay with standard for driver's side replacement

Cheap as $50 per axle and high end most $165, except that one NAPA extended one for $322.

$118 or $165 does not bother me as long as cv axle lasts.

Have read about issues with axle being too short from some makers.
Was thinking along same lines as 03black. Many Napa rebuilt a cheap, out of spec core I was just unlucky enough to get it.
As rebuilds are no longer listed on Napa website, they may have had a problems and now only sell new.

Will wait maybe a week for any suggestions for better quality cv axle than Napa. If no suggestions, will buy the new Napa axle for $118
Thanks for all input and suggestions. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

No suggestions better than Napa and could not find any better web surfing.

Ordered another NAPA NCV 940085 and installed it Sunday.

Test drove Monday after thread locker set.

Driver's side is nice and quiet again :BANANA:

Old axle seemed okay during rotation test, however when compressing, near full compression there is very clear grinding inside one boot.
NAPA is limited lifetime warranty. However original sales receipt is required. Did not have account with NAPA when ordered last time. Printed receipt, but now can not find it. Have bank record of charge to NAPA. Will see if they will accept that.
This time made NAPA account and being careful to print/save sales receipt.
If can not return old CV axle, will open it up, inspect and take pictures of damage.
Praying this CV lasts