It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bulldog Canyon... Sat Jan 9
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:33 am 
LOST Member

:BANANA: I went and got my bulldog canyon permit yesterday and am looking forward to going to check it out on Sat Jan 9th :SOMBRERO:

Bulldog Canyon is supposed to be about 8 miles according to Wells. Located in northeast Phoenix, runs between Bush Hwy and Apache Junction.

:JEEPIN: If anyone is interested, post up. :JEEPIN:

**a bulldog canyon permit is required to gain access. Driving the trail without a permit gets you a fine of $5,000 or 6 months in jail. :shock: The permit is FREE. You just have to drive to the ranger station @ 5140 E Ingram St, Mesa AZ, 85205, and ask for a permit. The station is located on Higley Rd in Mesa between McKellips and Brown. It took me less than 5 minutes to get a permit. its FREE and it gives you the combination to the locked gates for the next 6 months**

--- '05 KJ sport--- 3.7L V6 auto --- 16" Amer Racing Mojaves (teflon coated) --- 2.5" daystar lift w/ BFG K/O AT 245/75/16 & rear OME N132L shocks --- Mopar Front/Trans/Tranf Skid --- front/rear tow hooks --- Cobra CB w/ 24" Firestik --- custom rear cargo area shelf --- 10" bazooka bass tube ---

Post subject: Re: Bulldog Canyon... Sat Jan 9
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Rex... count me and Beth in!! What time and where do you want to meet?? If you're coming up Ellsworth, there's an AM/PM on the SW corner of Ellsworth and Southern that's not far from the old homestead if you want to meet up there.

BTW... how'd you know I was itching to test out my new 2" lift?? :SOMBRERO:

AJ

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:10 pm 
LOST Member

Well, i have never been to bulldog so i was thinking of entering the north gate like wells does. If we meet at the am/pm, would we be entering on the west side? I was thinking at 10am.

Did u lift the jk?

--- '05 KJ sport--- 3.7L V6 auto --- 16" Amer Racing Mojaves (teflon coated) --- 2.5" daystar lift w/ BFG K/O AT 245/75/16 & rear OME N132L shocks --- Mopar Front/Trans/Tranf Skid --- front/rear tow hooks --- Cobra CB w/ 24" Firestik --- custom rear cargo area shelf --- 10" bazooka bass tube ---

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:22 pm 
LOST Addict

GoodAScoolwhip wrote:
Well, i have never been to bulldog so i was thinking of entering the north gate like wells does. If we meet at the am/pm, would we be entering on the west side? I was thinking at 10am.

Did u lift the jk?

Opps... I edited my above post while you were posting yours.

Okay, 1000 sounds good if we meet at the trailhead and get started right away. The trail should only take 3~4 hours at the most. That would give us time to make the meeting in Casa Grande.

Running it as posted in the Wells book is good. If you're coming up Ellsworth from QC... the AM/PM is on the way. I'll be taking Ellsworth up to Usery Pass and then make a right on the Bush Hwy.

Yes sir!! Got it lifted this morning. A Rubicon Express 2.0 BB spacer coil lift with longer Monotube shocks....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:00 pm 
LOST Member

nice. I have an appointment to have my rear OME N132L extended shocks installed on monday, so we will both be trying out some new gear!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Bump... anyone else interested?? Bulldog Canyon is a short, fun and scenic trail. It's about 8 miles long, and takes only 2~3 hours to run.... :SOMBRERO:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:54 pm 
LOST Member

ugh. :furious: I just picked up my jeep from the customs shop after having them install the OME 132L's on the rear. Now the rear rattles REALLY bad. :? I'm going to take it back tomorrow and ask them to check it out. I hope I can still make the Bulldog Canyon run. I'll keep you posted. :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Okay... keep us posted. Just get your Jeep fixed, we can always do this trip another time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:56 pm 
LOST Member

just got it back. They hooked it up crooked. They readjusted it and it seems fine now...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:39 pm 
LOST Addict

So... are you ready to check it out on Saturday? What time and where do you want to meet, the east or north entrance? Standing by for details. Keep in mind there is a club meeting that evening in Casa Grande we have to make.... :SOMBRERO:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:43 am 
LOST Member

yep, definitely looking to test it out. I was thinking of meeting at the west gate on usury pass rd @ 10am. 8 mile trail shouldnt take more than 4 hours even w stopping for lunch if we choose to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:24 pm 
LOST Addict

We'll be there!! See you at the West gate?? And yeah, always gotta stop for lunch, or at least a quick snack.... :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AZKJ wrote:
Yes sir!! Got it lifted this morning. A Rubicon Express 2.0 BB spacer coil lift with longer Monotube shocks....

Who did your lift? That's a really good looking JK.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:06 pm 
LOST Addict

djui5 wrote:
AZKJ wrote:

Who did your lift? That's a really good looking JK.

Thank you. Would you believe I did?? J/K... maybe 10 years ago but getting too old, fat and lazy to do it myself. I had 4-Wheelers Supply, on 35th Ave and Washington, in Phoenix put it on.

=========================================================================

Hey!! Anyone else up for Bulldog Canyon tomorrow!! It's a short, fun little trail. Going in the West Gate as we are, you hit some fun moguls and sandy washes right from the start. If you come, be sure to have your permit issued by the Mesa Ranger's Office with you. There's a big time fine being in the closed off Bulldog Canyon OHV area without one. And, they do check for the permits...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:22 pm 
LOST Member

Wow -- That was a lot more challenging than I expected! But I got a chance to test out the flex on my new rear shocks. AJ just about rolled his jeep - he was on ONE wheel there for a while. I think he scared me more than anything. All in all a great run that we should do again some time with more people.

Here's a few shots of the flex on my new shocks:

The bumpstops at work FINALLY keeping my tires from rubbing:

Here's a link to the whole slideshow:
http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab207/GoodAScoolwhip/bulldog%20canyon/?action=view&current=03a6deb8.pbw

Thanks AJ for coming along.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:06 pm 
LOST Member

Looks like a good time :BANANA:

So where are the pics of AJ almost rolling his Jeep?
:jester:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 pm 
LOST Member

i wish i could have gotten some pics. I was too busy freaking out!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

AZKJ wrote:
I had 4-Wheelers Supply, on 35th Ave and Washington, in Phoenix put it on.

Ahh, they do good work. They put my lift on the KJ.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

eyehatetofu wrote:
So where are the pics of AJ almost rolling his Jeep?
:jester:

At this spot?:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:45 am 
LOST Addict

Okay... let's put it to rest. AJ did not almost roll his Jeep. LOL... if you don't have pics it didn't happen. Seriously, I was wobbling on two wheels for a few seconds as my rear end got away from me because of a bad line I took. But hey... it's all in a day on the trail.

As for the location of the incident, I can't tell by the pic above, but it kinda looks like it, but with more ruts and rocks. If you look in the Wells book, the spot is described as a tough spot at 5.5 miles, waypoint 03 where the road curves downhill to the right into a ravine.

Of course a trip report wouldn't be complete without mentioning carnage. All I'll say without mentioning names is... someone put a nice gash in his new black teflon coated left front wheel, and it wasn't me.... :SOMBRERO:

Thanks Rex, Blake and Brooklyn for coming out today with me and Beth. And you're right, we need to do this again with more people. In fact I was telling Silverdiesel about the trail tonight at the club meeting, so now he wants to run it. We're going to meet up this coming Friday... Jan 15 for breakfast and then head over to the Mesa Ranger station to get his permit. Then we're heading over to the West gate and run the trail. I'll make a seperate post, but anyone that's off next Friday that wants to join in is more than welcome to. We should be at the trail head right at 0900.

I did't get too many pics today, and no real action shots, but here are a couple of Rex with his new lift and one of Blake and his little sister, Brooklyn....

Rex at the top of the hill coming down a steep rocky section of the trail....

Blake and Brooklyn enjoying a PBJ for lunch...

Image Image

Last edited by AZKJ on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.