It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New here
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello all, I think I am in the right place. I live in Chandler, AZ and have a 07 Liberty STOCK!! I am looking to get a lift but don't have too much money. I would love any advice or recomendations I can get. I have heard to stay away from Rusty's. Frankenlift is too expensive. I would love to get a lift so I can actually wheel my Liberty without getting high centered! LOL! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hello and welcome dnuttyone ,you will find lots of helpful and knowledgable people on here.

Post subject: Picture
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

JIMMY JEEP wrote:
Hello and welcome dnuttyone ,you will find lots of helpful and knowledgable people on here.

How do I get a pic of my Liberty up on here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

You will need to go have a photo on a site such as photobucket ,you can resize your pic on photobucket to 150x150 0r 160x120,then copy and paste the link into the my avatar section of your profile.profile tab is at the top of the pages on this site.if you get stuck let me know and i will talk you through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hey WELCOME!

Same advice from your AZVJC post: ARMOR first! What do you have? Some KJ's come stock with Mopar armor, and some not.

#1 Engine skid (you probably have one already)
#2 Tranny skid (definitely need one)
#3 Fuel tank skid (better safe than sorry)
#4 Transfer case skid (given the fact that it's tucked up high, I consider it optional if you get a lift. If not, then get it)
#5 Boulder bars (they are wonderful - avoid the Mopar ones - they are decorative, not strong)

For the pic, you need to use an online source to upload pics to such as Photobucket or Cardomain. Then you simple reference the image at that site using the IMG button above. Search and you'll find more specific info on how to do it.

The stock tires suck. You can go up one tire size without lifting and run more agressive tread. Such as BFG AT/KO's etc.

Like I also said on the other post, if you go with a basic lift, the main issues you'll have are ball joint related. The main reason to lift is to be able to run bigger tires and gain ground clearance. The couple inches mostly means you scrape less. It doesn't really make the KJ more capable. Expect lower MPG and slower acceleration once you armor, lift and run bigger meats. That said, a lift and bigger tires is the way to go!

Whatever you do, realize that the front diff is weak - so avoid hopping the front around or it will go PRANG!

I'd suggest coming on runs and learning the quirks of the vehicle before trying to customize it all at once.

Have fun!

Todd

Post subject: Where to go
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have been to the coves at Saguaro Lake but I scraped and hit bad. I even got high centered in a hidden rock! I am looking to take it out with some people. My husband and his friends all have lifted Toyota trucks and go rock crawling, nothing I can do so I need other friends to go with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:48 am 
Master of the Blender

Welcome welcome, I'm sure you're recognizing some of our user names from over on the VJC board. As far as the lifts go Rusty's is actually OK, Vern (oldhockeyvb) runs one with good results. The main ones to avoid are Rocky Road Outfitters and Rock Crawler. Daystar, Rusty's, OME (Old Man Emu), Frankenlift are all good lifts. You just have to realize that the IFS on the Liberty isn't nearly as lift-friendly as the solid axles on the Wranglers and older Cherokees. Once you know those limitations then there are still good choices to be had. But like Todd mentioned - ARMOR FIRST! 8) As long as your not punching your oil pans everything will be OK :D I ran several of the harder trails with only an engine skid, boulder bars and slightly larger tires (235/70x16s) and had plenty of fun before I finally got my lift.

So keep an eye on this section and if you see a run that might interest you get your name on the list. Heck we'll even let your hubby tag along in the 'Yota :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:01 am 
LOST Member

welcome, i too am in chandler so if you need a hand with putting any of this stuff on i will be glad to offer my assist, as i have put on my skids and lift. as for the trails we are always glad to have another and most of the stuff we do can be done stock.
here are some pics of some of the stuff we do
http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee264/robertdawg/?start=20
i wheeled stock for a bit and i can honestly say most stuff can be done the lift is more of a luxory item (less concentration on wheel placement) but we have people that come on our runs stock and they do plenty fine.

Arizona Pinstriping, and desert dust custom paint overlay ;)

Post subject: my pic
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did it!! All by my lonesome :lol:

Post subject: Re: New here
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dnuttyone wrote:
I have heard to stay away from Rusty's. Frankenlift is too expensive. :D

I would have to say that I disagree with this comment. If you want a good suspension lift with out breaking the bank then the Rusty's is a good choice(I've had mine for 100,000 miles and a lot of mud, rocks, snow banks and more rocks have tested it out). If you were to go with the Rusty's lift I would recommend asking them to leave out the stock rear shocks and go ahead and buy some Rancho RSX 17004s (they are for a Dodge Dakota I think) Talk with every one and see what they run and if they like it or not. Just my two cents...Welcome and hope to see you soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Welcome!

Armor is a must... sliders at the very least. You don't want to hurt that new rig.

We are in East Mesa and would love to hit a trail with you and I can answer your questions about lifts or any other vehicle mod you are interested in doing.
Give me a call or send me a PM.