It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indifferent
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:02 am 
LOST Member

Ok more spam from the new forum guy.

I have the rockcrusher differential cover i need to put on and didn't wunna pay the stealership 130 bucks to do it.
Doesnt seem hard but i lack tools like a torque wrench,floor jack and jack stands :oops: ( and im not sure the bolt pattern for putting it back on) where do we dump the old gear oil. Should i just rent one(torque wrench) from autozone and have a go? Is anyone here bored enough to help?

Was thinking of going with amsoil and the gasket i've seen on here twice for the chrysler 8.25, not sure if i should go a cheaper gear oil may be a while before i put in a locker since i have to regear at the same time and pay the labour etc etc.

Need some opinions.

Edit: By dump i mean can we take it to an autozone like motor oil.

Rola Roof rack
4 Hella 700FF's on Rack
2 KC daylighters on bumper
2 Turn tables and a microphone

I want to leave this world like i came into it.... screaming, naked and covered in someone else's blood.

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/smith/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:20 am 
Master of the Blender

To install the diff cover you really don't need a jack or jackstands, there should be enough room to get underneath and access it with it on the ground. As for the gear oil yes Autozone, Checker, or most any auto parts place should be able to take used oil for recycling, you can call the one nearest you to confirm.

Good luck with the install!

Post subject: ..
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:44 am 
LOST Member

is the bolt pattern a big deal, as long as i kinda alternate and not tighten to much till all in place. got a co worker who used to do mechanics and is telling me i better know the bolt patern to tighten the bolts. also should i add anti seeze to the bolts?

Rola Roof rack
4 Hella 700FF's on Rack
2 KC daylighters on bumper
2 Turn tables and a microphone

I want to leave this world like i came into it.... screaming, naked and covered in someone else's blood.

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/smith/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No antiseize, just clean threads and make sure bolts holes are not gunked up.
If you go w/ the Lubelocker gasket it will include instructions on torque values and pattern to tighten. If you are just using RTV, then tighten like you do lug nuts. Run them all down hand tight then alternate from side to side around the perimeter. (i used the lubelocker on rear diff, liked it so far and no leaks)
I suggest using either the Right Stuff brand or Ultra Copper (my personal favorite) Allow the RTV to set for a few minutes after applying onto the cover, install cover, run bolts down hand tight and let sit for another few minutes then follow tightening proces.

If you want Amsoil, LMK and I'll get you the best deal. :wink:

(btw, welcome back!)

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:28 pm 
LOST Addict

X2 on what JJ said. And personally, I love the copper :P

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:09 am 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

I love my Lube Locker. No more RTV! But I do like the Copper if you have to use it. If you don't go with the Amsoil (and JJ will get you a great deal on it), make sure you use a good synthetic. If you want to drive up to Vegas I'll help you change it out :lol: (I know it's a long drive but the offer stands). If you decide it's too much work, I'll take the diff cover off your hands for a small discount (j/k).

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust