It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oatman, Arizona
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am thinking of a road / wheeling trip this coming January, and after reading about the Gold Camps off Old Route 66 in and around the Oatman area, I am wondering if anyone has wheeled this area? Although I found a publication for trails in the area (which I plan to purchase), what can I expect there during that time of year? Weather, and such, including places or things to know and or not to miss.

Also, anyone here from the area?

Post subject: Re: Oatman, Arizona
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:50 pm 
LOST Addict

oddball wrote:
I am thinking of a road / wheeling trip this coming January, and after reading about the Gold Camps off Old Route 66 in and around the Oatman area, I am wondering if anyone has wheeled this area? Although I found a publication for trails in the area (which I plan to purchase), what can I expect there during that time of year? Weather, and such, including places or things to know and or not to miss.

Also, anyone here from the area?

A road trip to Oatman? There are many more interesting places in the Southwest than the Oatman/Kingman area.

Get the Wells AZ book, there are a few interesting trails in the area, but it's not a major destination.

Oatman is a small ghost town turned into a tourist trap. Weather is mostly cool and sunny, but you can expect a little rain.

If I was taking a road trip out west from IL, I'd wait and do the Easter Jeep Safari in April held in Moab, UT. People come from all over the country to attend that event.

I haven't seen any folks from that area here on AZ LOST JEEPS.

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thing is, I am off work from Dec 19th - Jan 31, 2010, so I want to make a wheeling trip SW after Jan 2nd. From the article I referred to (4Wheel Drive & SUV Mag June 2009 issue), they made it sound like a good time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:32 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I have spent a fair amount of time in the Oatman area, as AJ said Oatman itself is somewhat of a little tourist trap. But there are TONS of backroads in the area. Alot of the roads are on BLM land and have route numbers. You may be able to pick up a map at a local BLM office. I cannot recall, any difficult 4 wheel drive roads near Oatman. Mostly scenic, and roads leading back to abandon mines (use caution as many are still open) !! A little farther north of Oatman, in the Black Mountains is a trail called Sleeping Princess, this trail is a full blown #5 :o. And the scenery is spectacular, you can see up and down the Colorado River and Lake Mohave for miles. Do not attempt the Sleeping Princess alone (winching is required) !! Katherine's Landing at Lake Mead National Recreation area, is a great place to base camp and explore out of.
http://www.nps.gov/lame/

LIFETIME KJ MEMBER.....and dang proud off it !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The writer of the article mentions camping at a place called Silver Creek Wash. From there they hit both the Ruth and Moss Mines in the Black Mountains. Supposedly the Kingman BLM office has done a excellent job of marking all the legal trails / roads in the area. They go on to mention; Mount Nutt Wilderness, Thumb Butte, Sitgreaves Pass, Boundry Cone and Paragon Mine before finally making their way towards Kingman - Bullhead City Highway.

Thanks for your imput.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check out the bullhead four wheelers, they are good folks and experts in the area. Tell them Vern from AZLOST referred you:

http://www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Will do. Thanks.