It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: harbour frieght
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:20 am 
LOST Member

There were a couple of air compressers for 20 bucks or so, they looked crappy for airing up tires but thought i'd ask if they are good enough to use to air up tires after a run?

EDIT: whats the recommended rating for a recovery strap? 20k? I read different things. No hooks rights? Just loops.

Rola Roof rack
4 Hella 700FF's on Rack
2 KC daylighters on bumper
2 Turn tables and a microphone

I want to leave this world like i came into it.... screaming, naked and covered in someone else's blood.

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/smith/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:27 am 
LOST Addict

Stay away from the straps at HF.... for a couple bucks more, you can get a way better strap. My 3x30 the rated at 30,000 lbs cost me 35ish at 4 wheel parts

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:45 am 
Master of the Blender

On those HF air compressors I've read of folks that had them go south after one or two uses and others who have had them for a few years with no problems. As with quite a bit of what HF sells it is really hit or miss. If you can spot some more cash for the compressor you might try Pep Boys and see if the still carry any of the MasterFlow (I think that is the brand)units. I've had my little red one for a couple of years and it is still going strong - not the fastest one out there but it'll do the job.

x2 on spending a bit more for the strap as well, and remember that there is a difference between a recovery strap and a tow strap. Recovery straps stretch, tow straps don't. I only have a tow strap in my Jeep but it works OK as long as you increase tension slowly and try not to jerk with it.

EDIT: and yes, no hooks (unless you like the idea of dodging heavy metal projectiles).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:35 pm 
LOST Addict

corwyyn wrote:
On those HF air compressors I've read of folks that had them go south after one or two uses and others who have had them for a few years with no problems. As with quite a bit of what HF sells it is really hit or miss. If you can spot some more cash for the compressor you might try Pep Boys and see if the still carry any of the MasterFlow (I think that is the brand)units. I've had my little red one for a couple of years and it is still going strong - not the fastest one out there but it'll do the job.
x2 on spending a bit more for the strap as well, and remember that there is a difference between a recovery strap and a tow strap. Recovery straps stretch, tow straps don't. I only have a tow strap in my Jeep but it works OK as long as you increase tension slowly and try not to jerk with it.

EDIT: and yes, no hooks (unless you like the idea of dodging heavy metal projectiles).

I will second that. I carry 2 different ones (don't ask...I am a sicko) I have that one and it is good. It hooks directly to your battery and works fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Forget to add....on the recovery strap, check Tractor Supply also if there is one near you. They have quality straps.......with loops. They also have shackles if you need one. Get a WLL 4 1/2 ton shackle.

The minimum recovery strap you should use is 2" or 3"x20 feet and 18,000lbs capacity in my opinion.....with loops. They come in all different widths and 20 or 30 foot lengths and weight ratings.

Don't skimp on quality when it comes to recovery stuff.

Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:13 pm 
LOST Member

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-HV40-S ... B000BMBTA2

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-S ... 175&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MF1045 ... 175&sr=1-4

Like one of these?

Rola Roof rack
4 Hella 700FF's on Rack

I want to leave this world like i came into it.... screaming, naked and covered in someone else's blood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:53 pm 
Master of the Blender

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-S ... 175&sr=1-1

This is the one I have, found it at the Pep Boys on south Arizona Ave. in Chandler a couple of years ago for the same price as Amazon (I think it was labeled as a Masterflow MF-1050). As Albert mentioned it connects directly to the battery and does a decent job on even larger tires. I'd try to avoid the other two - the first one plugs into the cigarette lighter and may blow a fuse if used long enough, the other is a rechargeable unit which would probably run down about the middle of the third tire :?

You can also make an adapter to connect hoses with standard sized fittings to the compressor. I'll see if I can dig up a link I posted in another thread...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 pm 
LOST Addict

corwyyn wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-Hi-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1250644175&sr=1-1

This is the one I have, found it at the Pep Boys on south Arizona Ave. in Chandler a couple of years ago for the same price as Amazon (I think it was labeled as a Masterflow MF-1050). As Albert mentioned it connects directly to the battery and does a decent job on even larger tires. I'd try to avoid the other two - the first one plugs into the cigarette lighter and may blow a fuse if used long enough, the other is a rechargeable unit which would probably run down about the middle of the third tire :?

You can also make an adapter to connect hoses with standard sized fittings to the compressor. I'll see if I can dig up a link I posted in another thread...

Yeah, Corwyyn (thanks) that's the one I have and it works good. I have had mine for a couple of years now.

I also have a cordless rechargable one in the jeep that I only use for "topping off" the tire pressure (because I check the pressure monthly) but it is no where near as powerfull as the MF-1050.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:56 pm 
LOST Addict

make sure you get "recovery " strap and not "tow" straps. Big difference in weight and pull ratings. Tow strap are designed for basically straight line rolling pulls, not side pulls, yanks or any recovery type stresses.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:18 am 
LOST Member

Rola Roof rack
4 Hella 700FF's on Rack

Last edited by SNAFU on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:23 am 
LOST Member

Diggerfreek wrote:
Stay away from the straps at HF.... for a couple bucks more, you can get a way better strap. My 3x30 the rated at 30,000 lbs cost me 35ish at 4 wheel parts

MUST... OBEY...HYPNOTOAD.... :)

Rola Roof rack
4 Hella 700FF's on Rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:04 am 
LOST Addict

SNAFU... where in Arizona are you located? Any plans on joining in on some of our runs/events?? We have folks from Tucson, Douglas and Yuma that join in. While it's true most of our runs are in the Phoenix area, some of us will, and do travel to other parts of the state whenever folks from other places post something up.

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:33 pm 
LOST Addict

SNAFU wrote:
Diggerfreek wrote:

MUST... OBEY...HYPNOTOAD.... :)

YES :twisted:

Oh and only need a strap with one loop at each end.... If you have the money and don't mind carrying two, have two of them.

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 am 
LOST Member

I'm in the phoenix area and i do plan on joining in some events :)

Rola Roof rack
4 Hella 700FF's on Rack