Post subject: When is trick or jeep?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Do we have a date set yet for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:10 pm 
LOST Addict

It probably isn't set in stone, but the date was talked about awhile back. I have it penciled in on my calendar for Oct 23~25. We also need to think about the location. The Yuma area was suggested as a possible location. Scott said he knew of some cool trails.

Who ever is going to start planning this, let me know what I can do to help.

AJ

BTW... has anybody heard from Scott since he went back east in May?

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would think those dates or the weekend after would be great(the later the better for cooler temps) I will try and get a hold of Scott. In the mean time if folks would like to post trail suggestions that would be great as well. Preferably places where we know we will be able to set up a camp. Let's try to have a consensus on the location by the end of August and a date by the end of July. Input from the veterans of the AZ LOST group as well as everyone else is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:13 am 
LOST Addict

My suggestions for AZ LOST JEEPS Trick or Jeep 2009:

When: mid Oct
Trails: Cherry Chreek Road / Dupont Cabin
Camp: PB Cabin (primitive camping)

The trails and camp site are located above Roosevelt Lake in the Sierra Ancha Mountains.

After talking with the Bandelero Kid, aka Silverdiesel aka Roland, we think we may have come up with a kool, out of the way secluded place to set up camp. There are no facilities, so we would have to be self sufficient. There is a small stream nearby that may or may not have water flowing.

Our idea is to use the PB Cabin open grass field as our camp ground (trees surround the open field). The area is located 33 miles north of Hwy 188 on Road 288. The camp site is located 3 miles southeast of 288, just off the Cherry Creek trail. 288 is a very good paved and graded road, so it would not be a rough drive or take too long to get to the camp from Hwy 188. The three miles to the cabin on Cherry Creek Road is a little rocky and narrow, but no big deal. A small trailer such as Signcutter21's would not be a problem.

Beth and I, and whoever else wants to go, would head up early Friday to secure the area. People can start heading up the same day and set up camp. For those that are not camping, or will not arrive until Saturday morning, we could start the run a little later in the morning, say 0900~1000 to give them time to meet up with the campers.

As for the trail run itself, from camp we can continue south on Cherry Creek Road and return to camp via Road 288 and or depending how late it is, continue on and complete the loop by running Dupont Cabin and then head to camp.

The folks that are not staying overnight would have no problem driving south on 288 to reach civilization later in the evening after all the chili is gone.

I checked with the Ranger from the Pleasant Valley Ranger district this morning. It is perfectly fine for us to use the area, and there are no fees required. Just remember, it's a primitive camping area, we pack out everything we bring in. You have to provide your own toilet facilities and bury or pack out your solid waste. If there are no fire restictions for the Tonto NF, we could have a camp fire and charcoal grills.

One other thing, the area is at 4,440 feet elevation, which means it will be much cooler at night than it is down in the Valley. The average daily temperatures for Oct are:

- early Oct... 86*/61*
- mid Oct... 80*/55*
- late Oct... 73*/48*

I think the Bandelero Kid are I going to do and exploratory camping trip next Saturday... Jul 26, to check out the site and see how it will work out for Trick or Jeep. If anybody is interested in going up for the day or to camp with us, let me know and I'll post up a meet place/time.

That's all the inputs I have to offer up for this years annual AZ LOST JEEPS Trick or Jeep Event.

Note: Scott was talking about Trick or Jeep being held in Yuma, I personally don't have a problem with it, but it may be a tad too far for folks coming from Tucson or Douglas. I think it would be best to keep the event in a central location and this seems to fit the bill as well as being a new area most of you haven't explored.

Post up any questions or comments you can think of and I'll try to answer them.

AJ

Silverdiesel going down the toughest part of Cherry Creek Road...

Last edited by AZKJ on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:15 am 
LOST Addict

Vern... I'm having second thoughts. While I like the area we explored around PB Cabin today, I think we need to re-think it as a camp site for Trick or Jeep. What bothers me the most is we can not guarantee the area we be available to us and the horse dung etc scattered around the field. Unless you found another site today after we left, I'm leaning towards the group area we passed where we think we can reserve, or the campsite near your camp on Roosevelt Lake.

I do like the trails, Cherry Creek Road and Dupont Cabin.

Just my .02

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I love PB cabin as a base camp but it's a risk because if hunters are there already when we get there we are screwed

There is a group camp site on top of the mountain at Reynolds Creek at 5000 feet. Here is a link to info:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/rogs/camping/PleasantValley/ReyoldsCreekGroupSite.pdf

There are also group camp sites down at Roosevelt lake campgrounds at lower elevation:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/rogs/camping/TontoBasin/GrapevineGroup.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Wow, both of those places sound good too. While the primitive camping if fun, i know some like the facilities and such.

As long as there's good people, interesting scenery and of course, chili; i'm happy. Vern, AJ anybody else camped at either of these places before? I've never been up that way.

I say the quicker we make a decision, the we can make sure we get a spot reserved for us.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can we set a date while we are at it. I would prefer the 23-25th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:39 am 
LOST Addict

My vote:

When: Oct 23~25
Trails: Cherry Creek and/or Dupont Cabin

Dupont Cabin is a little tougher than Cherry Creek if you want to offer two runs... a harder and an easier run.

I'd like to see the date and location picked sooner rather than later so we can reserve a campground and make plans...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

23-25 is best for me as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:25 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

AZKJ wrote:

does this campground have any facilities or is dry camping ??

oops, disregard this post, I found Vern's info on the camp.

LIFETIME KJ MEMBER.....and dang proud off it !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:25 pm 
LOST Addict

dynamike wrote:
AZKJ wrote:

does this campground have any facilities or is dry camping ??

oops, disregard this post, I found Vern's info on the camp.

What do the Club officers have to say.... on the topic of paying for a group campsite?? is the club going to pay for it or divide the cost between the people attending??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:34 am 
LOST Junkie

Oct 23 date works for me too.

in the past for FITS ect, the club has put down the deposit and then collected money from the participants that stayed at said camp ground. If not, i can put up the money and everybody can kick in a couple bucks.

later,mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:43 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks for your input Mike. It works for me. Now we just have to finalize where we want to hold the event and on what dates.

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes, I think we should all pay our own way for camp ground fees.

I have never been to Trick or Jeep....what usually goes down at one of these events. What has the schedule been like in the past?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:19 am 

My vote is the club should pay for the site..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dynamike wrote:

Is the site charged per vehicle/person or is it just a flat rate? If we have the cash then by all means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:24 am 

Neatus wrote:
I have never been to Trick or Jeep....what usually goes down at one of these events. What has the schedule been like in the past?

pretty casual, a trail ride during the day. Then at night we have a chili feed. You bring as much chili as you would eat yourself. Then typically we combine all the chili into one pot. And serve it up. The chili can be your own recipe or Hormel, it doesn't matter. It will all be good combined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:26 am 

Neatus wrote:
dynamike wrote:

Is the site charged per vehicle/person or is it just a flat rate? If we have the cash then by all means.

I believe it is a flat fee for the group per night.......and yes we have money for this kind of fun stuff set aside in the budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:42 am 
LOST Addict

Neatus wrote:

It's much like FITS, except everyone brings their own chili to mix into one big pot instead of a catered dinner. The campers start showing up on Friday, the rest show Saturday morning for the run and the chili dinner that night. Saturday we do the run and spend another night camping.

This year, if we hold the event in the Sierra Ancha Mountains, there are two cool trails close together, one on either side of road 288... Dupont Cabin and Cherry Creek. Both trails are doable in a stock height Liberty with skids and "good" A/T tires.

Dupont Cabin is the harder of the two trails. It's a very rocky, slow going trail. There are a couple of tight spots along side of a creek bed with a 2~3 foot drop off, and tight brush along the trail in several places. Expect some pin striping and knocking your antenna on the low hanging trees. A stock height KJ will scrap bottom in a couple of places, but no big deal.

Cherry Creek is very scenic, mostly easy, but rocky in spots. There is one steep drop off, 15' or so down into a creekbed and up the other side. See pics above for the drop off into the creek.

A few of us have run one or both trails in the last few weeks and I think everyone would enjoy them both.

We could run one trail Saturday and the other on the way home Sunday, or if there are enough people, let them pick which trail they want to run on Saturday.

dynamike wrote:
Then at night we have a chili feed. You bring as much chili as you would eat yourself. Then typically we combine all the chili into one pot. And serve it up. The chili can be your own recipe or Hormel, it doesn't matter. It will all be good combined.

No.. no.. no. Please... no store bought stuff!! Last year we kept it all homemade. Along with the giant cornbread muffins Beth brought, and all the other stuff everyone else brought, it was fabulous chili dinner. Everyone's recipes, be it hot, mild or in between, blended very good. Please don't mess it up with store bought junk. Hormel is nothing but soupy dog food....

Uh, did I say let's stick with homemade?? :D

Last edited by AZKJ on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.