It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Short Notice Snow Run... Dec 26, 2009
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:25 am 
LOST Addict

Beth and I are driving north the day after Christmas, to see if we can find our snow experience for the year.

We're going to do Hutch Mountain (Wells #24, rated easy). I'm going to modify the trip from the way Wells has it plotted in his book. We'll be starting from Munds Park, just off I-17, a couple of miles north of Schnebly Hill Road. The plan is to go by Mormon Lake and then up Hutch Mountain (8,524'). From there we'll swing by Stoneman Lake, and then on to Apache Maid Mountain (7,306') before heading for home.

When: Dec 26 '09
Time: Leaving 0900 sharp
Meet: McDonalds (Carefree Hwy)

If anyone is interested, post up....

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Last edited by AZKJ on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Short Notice Snow Run... Dec 26 '09
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:02 pm 
LOST Member

Awesome! we were planning on trying to take a snow trip this weekend since I am off. Count us in -

Coolwhip + spouse + 2 kids = 1 liberty ready to plow some snow! :BANANA: :-)r :BANANA:

--- '05 KJ sport--- 3.7L V6 auto --- 16" Amer Racing Mojaves (teflon coated) --- 2.5" daystar lift w/ BFG K/O AT 245/75/16 & rear OME N132L shocks --- Mopar Front/Trans/Tranf Skid --- front/rear tow hooks --- Cobra CB w/ 24" Firestik --- custom rear cargo area shelf --- 10" bazooka bass tube ---

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:04 pm 
LOST Member

AZKJ wrote:
Meet: McDonalds (Carefree Hwy)

Got directions?

--- '05 KJ sport--- 3.7L V6 auto --- 16" Amer Racing Mojaves (teflon coated) --- 2.5" daystar lift w/ BFG K/O AT 245/75/16 & rear OME N132L shocks --- Mopar Front/Trans/Tranf Skid --- front/rear tow hooks --- Cobra CB w/ 24" Firestik --- custom rear cargo area shelf --- 10" bazooka bass tube ---

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Take I-17 to Carefree Highway exit, turn right....McDonalds will be on your left.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Ernie... thanks for posting the directions!! Do you and Vanessa wanna come along and make snow angels??

Coolwhip... maybe a change of plans???

I've been doing a little calculating and made a few phone calls this morning. Here's what I've come up with:

Munds Park is 115 miles from McDonalds, and the loop road/trail is 61 miles long. That's 276 miles round trip back to McDonalds. They have 12" of snow on the ground up there. Most of the terrain in that area ranges from 6,500 to 7,000 feet. Even if the trail, which is basically a graded dirt road, is open... I doubt if we could make it up Hutch or Apache Maid Mountains.

The Bradshaw Mountain trail (Wells #34, rated easy) goes from Bumble Bee through Cleator and on into Crown King on a maintained dirt road. From Crown King an easy FS road loops around through the mountains and forests ending in Mayer on Hwy 69. It's 24 miles to the trail head from McDonalds and the trail is 58 miles. Round trip back to McDonalds is 105 miles. The lady at the General Store in Crown King said they have 4~6" of snow in town, and didn't know how bad it was from there through the mountains to Mayer.

So... Beth and I are going to do one or the other and see how far we get. It's up to whoever wants to do what. We're kinda leaning towards the shorter ride through Crown King (Beth loves the homemade fudge they sell at the General Store). Either way, there should be snow up there for the big and little kids to play in. Brrr... shiver... shiver!!!

We'll be leaving McD's at 0900. Coolwhip... we'll see you, the wife and kids if your still interested. Anyone else that wants to play in the snow, post up and we'll see you Saturday morning!!!

AJ

Last edited by AZKJ on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sorry AJ, can't make it. I work through the 26th.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, Merry Christmas!

Cat and I are up for a ride through the snow tomorrow if you're still planning on making the drive. The jeep has been out of off road commission for two months or so with a track bar issue. We were actually up in Flagstaff off of 89A on Tuesday for the snowstorm and all the fire roads west of I17 were closed for the season, not sure about the eastern areas. It was raining and sleeting until we hit about 6000 ft. or so.

Also, here is a link to a snow depth chart although i have no idea where many of these areas are, but someone here may be able to make use of it.

http://www.wunderground.com/StateSnowDepth.asp?state=AZ

Ryan +1 - 12/26

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey Ryan!! Good to hear from you again. We're still doing the run tomorrow. We'll see everyone at McD's at 0900.

Those places in your link are mostly NE of us in the White Mountains. A couple are SW of Flagstaff. I called the saloon in Crown King a few minutes ago, they still have an inch or two in town... should be more on the trail going north and then east to Mayer. Munds Park has more snow for sure, but it's a lot longer trip.

We'll do whatever everyone wants to do.

AJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:32 am 
LOST Addict

Brrr... shiver... shiver!!!

We had our snow experience for the year today!!

We met up with TJ06 (Ryan and Cat) and Coolwhip (Rex, Erica and their two children) at the McD's on Carefree Hwy. We wasted no time and quickly made our way to Bumble Bee and on to Crown King. We stopped at the saloon for a coke. In hindsight, I should of asked if they had any hot chocolate because it was pretty darn cold up there.

There was little to no snow on the way up to Crown King and I was getting worried I took everyone up there for nothing after promising them some snow, especially the children. We left Crown King and turned left for Horse Theif Basin where we quickly found the elusive snow. It was a couple of feet deep. We missed the turn off for the Lake, so we headed back the way we came. We stopped for an hour, ate lunch and let the kids play in the snow. After lunch we headed back to the Senator Hwy and on to the cut off for Mayer. It was a long day, but the snow and cold air were refreshing. We ended the run in Mayer and everyone headed for home.

It was nice seeing some new faces on the trail today and we hope to see everyone again soon!!

Thanks everyone for a fun day in the snow!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:53 pm 
LOST Member

very fun time. here is a link to our slideshow:
http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab207/GoodAScoolwhip/Dec%2009%20snow%20run/?action=view&current=7d3e23f7.pbw

But here is a shot of the morning after...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:01 pm 
LOST Member

Cool pics. I wish I didn't have to work, I would have been up there in a second!

Looks like a good time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Rex... thanks for posting the pictures and tell Erica I like her choice of cameras!!

I'll toss in my day after mud pic... it took $7.00 at the .25 cent coin power wash to get the caked on mud off, then a trip to the regular car wash.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:23 pm 
LOST Member

:lol: I ended up going to Home Depot and picking up a cheap Husky power washer for $99 just to have around as needed. Well, I got it home, and the motor was dead. So, I took it back and exchanged it. The 2nd one came home, started up for about 1 second, and the motor died again. :roll:

So, I got after the mud with the spray nozzle on my garden hose, and took the power washer back for a refund. I knew there was a reason they were only $99!

Post subject: Re: Short Notice Snow Run... Dec 26, 2009
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:13 am 
LOST Junkie

Yeah the same thing happened to my "father in law"'s Husky after about 5 uses. There was black plastic all in the motor. I bought a wally world special for us to use.

AJ, a lil mud never hurt anybody. lol.