It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FITS V 2010
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The dates for AZ LOST Fun in the Sun 2010 have been set.

When - March 19, 20 and 21st.
Where - to be determined
What - A few days of fun, trails, food and friends
Who all AZ LOST Members, families and potential members

Now that a date has been set we will need suggestions for a place to have the event.
Please post your suggestions below. Keep in mind a few details that could make the event location more successful like the availability of camp grounds/facilities, nearby hotels and restaurants as well as fun and beautiful trails. We want to have the location picked by Jan 31st. I will be willing to do a few pre runs and check out areas that are suggested. Anyone willing to help out in this department would be appreciated. Let’s make this FITS one to remember!

Neatus :rockon:

Last edited by dynamike on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: FITS V 2010
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Not trying to repeat a recent event we had back in October, but I'll toss in an idea into the pot just to get this started.

We could use the Grapevine CG for base camp again and be with our little furry friends that wander around at night.

I could offer up two trails::

- the entire Cherry Creek Road from Hwy 188 to Young. The southern portion of the trail is rated easy with "AJ's Wash" being the only difficult spot (someone could actually get hurt there if they're a klutz like me). I'd have to check out the northern part of the trail as I've never been there. If interested, let me know and maybe the shiney red Silverdiesel would pre run it with me.

- for a harder trail, we could run up to the top of Four Peaks and do Edwards Park (Massey C37, rated a 6 out of 10) with some rocky off camber spots. The trip to the top of Four Peaks and back is easy. There's also that fun wash to play in near the highway.

For the people that want to run both trails, we could do one on the last day before heading home.

I'll dig into my books and see if I can come up with some more centrally located trails etc. Table Mesa area was mentioned at the annual meeting, but I've only run the easy main trail, so I can't offer up any suggestions for that area.

Let me know. if you even think we may use Grapevine, and I'll check the availability. That area fills up fast in the spring. I can always cancel the reservation within 30 days if we don't use it.

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:21 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

And another idea.....
Basing out of Usery Park campground for dinner and prizes, and doing 2 trails.
I know Bulldog Canyon is really short (but cool) and then go do Montana Mountain or one around there.
We could split into 2 groups and one do Bulldog, then Montana, and the other group visa versa.
And then back to camp . It is central for a good turnout, and people can camp, motel or drive back home.
What do you think AJ, are those 2 doable in a day ???

LIFETIME KJ MEMBER.....and dang proud off it !!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey Mike... that sounds like a good idea too. As you said, it's more centrally located and closer to town for motels, food and other stuff. Your plan is is a good one to consider.

A few things to consider if I may... if you want to run both trails the same day, then the only thing that might be an issue is time. It would be a very long day.

It usually takes us closer to 5~6 hours, maybe a little longer to run Montana Mountain, stopping for lunch, and playing around in Casey's Wash for awhile. Travel time to and from makes it a longer too.

Bulldog Canyon is a good pick for a harder trail, but it's a short ride. It took us close to 3.75 hours to run it yesterday, with only a short lunch break, and not stopping for photo ops etc.

If you want to go with your plan basing the event out of Usery Pass CG... maybe do Montana Mountain and Bulldog Canyon as two separate runs, not trying to do both in one day. To make the Bulldog Canyon run an all day trip... we could do it in both directions!! Running it backwards would be a completely different scenic ride as well as a little more of a challenge. The old two for one trick.

Another suggestion to consider... if anyone wants to do one of the trails they missed the day before, we can do a trail before heading home on the last day. It wouldn't take much to talk me into doing that.

Well, that's my opinions/suggestions for whatever they're worth... but we could always make anything work. What do you think??

AJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:31 pm 

BUMP......
Ok, here's the deal........
another option for FITS 2010, with the economy the way it is, we want to keep FITS somewhat central (PHX/Tucson). So alot of gas money is not required. The florence Junction area, offers up a multitude of options. From stock to pucker. I Know a group of KJ's has went to Martinez cabin/canyon and offered up the pucker. Also in the area, is Box Canyon, very cool, and doable for stockers.
Montana Mountain also. I am not sure about the Coke Ovens option, (if it is open). we have been to the coke ovens before, and it is VERY cool !!! There are also other options in that area. Lets do some research, pre-running in that area. We have a couple different options for camping near by. DynaTammy is checking on them. PULL out your maps and books, lets pre-run some of these " and get this party started" :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :rockon:
P.S. the 3 peppers and guitarist are "the Tennessee Trio and JOHNNY CASH"........Trumpets man, Trumpets.......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Count us in on any pre-runs.

Silverdiesel and I ran Box Canyon not too long ago in both directions. Very doable with his 1" lift.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:29 pm 
LOST Member

Those all sound like great ideas. I was also thinking of doing some kind of overnite trip up to the 4 peaks area like AJ said, but also taking a day to drive up toward Payson and try out the Sunflower mine trail. Has anyone been there? I haven't been yet but it seems like it would be a cool, higher-altitude trail. It should have a little different scenery than the usual we get at Florence Junction.

--- '05 KJ sport--- 3.7L V6 auto --- 16" Amer Racing Mojaves (teflon coated) --- 2.5" daystar lift w/ BFG K/O AT 245/75/16 & rear OME N132L shocks --- Mopar Front/Trans/Tranf Skid --- front/rear tow hooks --- Cobra CB w/ 24" Firestik --- custom rear cargo area shelf --- 10" bazooka bass tube ---

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mike, I am good to do preruns during the week on Thursdays and Fridays.....all these ideas sound great to me.....wan do one this Thursday?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:54 am 
LOST Member

It sounds like I hear talk of weekday wheelin'. I'd be in for Thursdays and Fridays as well :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Me too??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check the LOST Events section

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=49395

And anyone wanting to prerun something this Thursday let me know....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What do you all think about making the tough trail the "Coke Ovens" a lot of people have never seen them. It is a pretty cool spot with a couple of tough sections.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:44 pm 
LOST Member

i have been wanting to see the coke ovens. I think that is a great idea

--- '05 KJ sport--- 3.7L V6 auto --- 16" Amer Racing Mojaves (teflon coated) --- 2.5" daystar lift w/ BFG K/O AT 245/75/16 & rear OME N132L shocks --- Mopar Front/Trans/Tranf Skid --- front/rear tow hooks --- Cobra CB w/ 24" Firestik --- custom rear cargo area shelf --- 10" bazooka bass tube ---

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:56 pm 

Neatus wrote:
What do you all think about making the tough trail the "Coke Ovens" a lot of people have never seen them. It is a pretty cool spot with a couple of tough sections.

I don't remember the coke ovens being a tough trail (been a long time since we were there though)
I am hoping Vern would chime in on Martinez Canyon/Cabin........

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Neatus wrote:

dynamike wrote:
I don't remember the coke ovens being a tough trail (been a long time since we were there though)
I am hoping Vern would chime in on Martinez Canyon/Cabin........

LOL... I'm not Vern, but I'll add my two cents.

x2 on what Mike D. said.

The Coke Ovens is an ok trail. Most of it runs through desert scrub. As Ernie said, there's only a couple of rough spots... some rocky ledges to climb over. I've done it with a little scraping and rock stacking at the one ledge in a stock height TJ with 31" tires.

About Martinez Cabin... it's another cool spot, but it's an "easy" medium rated trail. Nothing tough about it. The cabin is the start for the short Martinez Canyon Loop that is rated difficult. I've never run the entire loop, but getting over the wide rocky creek bottom with basketball sized rocks was a chore in my TJ.

How would you run the Coke Ovens? As described in the Wells book, or go in through Box Canyon? How about the exit, there are several ways to go? Is the area open again to the public? The Coke Ovens are on private property and were closed at one time because of vandalism.

If you want a hard trail in the FJ area, I'd suggest going with some that are listed in Wells:

- Hackberry Creek
- Woodpecker Mine
- Ajax Mine
- Martinez Canyon
- Jack Handle

I've never run any of them... maybe Mike D. can chime in on those??

Something else to consider. The bad thing about the FJ area... a State Land Permit is needed for a lot of that area. Is everyone that goes willing to get one? The cost is $15.00 for an individual or $20.00 for a family. The permit is good for one year. The good side about the permit, it's easier to get than before. Just print out the form online, and mail it in with your money (I have the link if you want it). The point I'm trying to make... running trails in the FJ area all comes back to the tough economic times we're in, keeping individual costs down, and making it affordable for everyone by having this years event centrally located etc. I'd hate to see someone that wants to go but couldn't afford a permit get caught out there without one, the fine is pretty high.

Do I hear... "anybody up for some pre-runs??"

AJ

Last edited by AZKJ on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ahhh memories of FITS II. We camped at Usery and ran Martinez Cabin and Box Canyon. We elected to NOT do the Coke Ovens at the time because the area was supposed to be closed. (The Coke Ovens themselves are on private land) However, they've never been gated off and tons have people have been going out there since. We debated at the time about the State Land Permits too, and decided to risk it. We had no issues, but you never know! It'd suck to get nailed with fines.

If this is the area, then a good stocker run would be the Ajax mine / Telegraph canyon trail that ends up in Superior.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:13 pm 
LOST Addict

phxtoad wrote:
If this is the area, then a good stocker run would be the Ajax mine / Telegraph canyon trail that ends up in Superior.

Todd... have you been out there lately? Roland and I ran Box Canyon about a month ago and went north on Cottonwood Canyon Road. We planned on taking Telegraph Canyon trail on out to Superior. About a mile into Cottonwood Road there was a pretty good rocky ledge to climb over to continue north. We decided against it at the time. I've never ran Ajax, but Wells rates it difficult for whatever that's worth.

You're right. Most people have never had an issue going out to FJ without a permit. The last I heard they were out there enforcing the permit was a couple of years ago. Haven't seen or heard anything about it lately.

If you want to check them out, let me know.

AJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

AJ,

Ajax/Telegraph road we ran at the end of Nov. with AZVJC is totally doable with a stock rig. The key is to stay on the 'road' along Ajax trail, vs. in the wash. If you look at the map in the Wells book, you see the 'road' along side the wash. I'd offer to lead this if it's a go.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=52107&highlight=Ajax%2C+Telegraph+run

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Okay, thanks for the link. I didn't notice the road in the book. It looks like it might be pretty easy staying on the road. The suggestion is for this to be the harder trail for the event, so I presumed we would be going up the wash??

Back to the permit issue for the club to consider... You're right, most likely 99% of the people have never had an issue going out to FJ without a permit. The last time I heard they were out there enforcing the permit was a couple of years ago. I haven't seen or heard anything about it lately.

I don't want to be the father figure here, just giving my view on the issue... if by chance we do get checked, it wouldn't look too good for a group that is supposed to be a responsible club and is also a member of the AZ4WDA to be out there without permits. If we do hold the event out there, then I suggest we add a sentence to the Hold Harmless form everyone is supposed to sign for the event stating they are aware a Land permit is required. That way if anyone gets caught, it's totally on them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:24 am 
LOST Member

I think if you wheel anywhere around Phoenix, you should have your State Trust Land Permit. There is State Trust Land almost everywhere. Table Mesa, White Tanks, Florence Junction, there are pieces all over. It isn't very exspensive, and I heard they have just made it available online. I was recently at Table Mesa for the VJC Wheeling 101 and they had representatives from the BLM, AZGFD, and a couple other organizations and they were talking about how there was going to be a crack down on permits (it seemed that it would be mainly over the OHV stickers, but enforcement agencies would be out nonetheless). Also, Sherriff Departments, AZGFD officers, and people from the ASLD (Arizona State Land Department) all have jurisdiction on STL and can and will give tickets. 20 bucks is a lot cheaper than the fine ($350). So, from what I have heard from the representatives from various agencies, you will see a lot more people out enforcing the laws.

Just my :2cents: